Search

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Tbird : (28 November 2014 - 11:03 AM) Thank You Britton That Means A Lot To Me!
@  arng11 : (26 November 2014 - 11:30 AM) Everyone Enjoy The Holidays And Be Safe.
@  eagle1012004 : (26 November 2014 - 10:10 AM) Have A Happy Thanksgiving All!!!
@  Tbird : (22 November 2014 - 04:54 PM) Tbird Accepted To 2015 Conference: V-Wise: Another Entrepreneurship Project Of The Whitman School Of Management Http://ow.ly/ej9Qg
@  Tbird : (22 November 2014 - 04:13 PM) Arng11 Thank You For Your Contribution To Our Funding Campaign.
@  britton : (22 November 2014 - 02:57 PM) Thank You Ms T For Starting This Web Site For All Veterans, You Helpd Me And My Family And I'll Be Forever Gratful To You & Hadit.com
@  Tbird : (22 November 2014 - 08:19 AM) Thank You All For Helping With The Funding The Site. It Is Really Helping!
@  Tbird : (22 November 2014 - 08:18 AM) Britton Pm Me And I. Can Check This Out For You
@  britton : (22 November 2014 - 06:44 AM) What Does ''you Missed Your Quota For Postives Votes Today'' Mean??
@  coriemboh : (19 November 2014 - 08:29 AM) Hold Time For Peggy Was Approximately 1 Minute. That Was 17 Minutes Ago. They Really Need To Change This Hold Music.
@  Tbird : (17 November 2014 - 02:42 PM) Stretch Thanks For The Extra Contribution To Our Fundraiser This Month.
@  maxwell18 : (16 November 2014 - 09:04 PM) I Still Have To Bitch About The Navy Hosp Cutting My Meds By 2/3 On My Norco. I Contacted Customer Service Or What Ever You Want To Call It Who In Turn Contacted The Navy Hosp Pensacola Commander Who In Turn Did Nothing. Thanks To All The People That Are Affair Of There Jobs And I Feel That Medical Malpractice Should Come Into Place. I Guess Just Do What Ever They Want To Because They Can, But Don't Give A Sh T For The Vets That Suppose To Being Supporting From All The Military  organizations. This Is Not The Way They Have Been Trained And Promised To Do. 
@  carlie : (16 November 2014 - 11:26 AM) Delayed Onset Tinnitus - Ref To Va Training Letter 10-028 - Link - Http://veteranclaims.wordpress.com/2014/05/06/single-Judge-Application-Va-Training-Letter-10-028-Delayed-Onset-Tinnitus/
@  carlie : (16 November 2014 - 11:03 AM) Here's A Good Tinnitus Link To Check Out From M21-1 Change Dated Jan 10,2014 - Http://veteranclaims.wordpress.com/tag/section-B-Duty-Military-Occupational-Specialty-Mos-Noise-Exposure-Listing-Fast-Letter-10-35-Tinnitus-Hearing-Loss-Vbms-Rating-Decision-Tools/
@  Asiadaug : (16 November 2014 - 02:08 AM) "rolled" Not Ruled! :)
@  Asiadaug : (16 November 2014 - 02:07 AM) Thanks. I Have Seen The Fast Ltr 10-35 And Have Seen Cases Where The Va Has Apparently Agreed That Tinnitus Can Have Delayed Onset. I Did Not In Looking Over The Fast Ltr See Where They Had Ruled 10-028 Into That. And, I Am Not Sure In The Vas Issuance Of ‘policy’ Type Letters How They Might Roll In Previous Instructions Into Newer Ones. Maybe There Is Some Intranet Traceability Capability? I Was Just Curious As There ‘appeared’ To Be Conspicuous Absence Of That 10-028. I Am Assuming 10-028 Was Written In 2010. But It May Be I Should Not Assume Anything.
@  carlie : (15 November 2014 - 05:56 PM) Asiadaug - You Might Be Looking For Fast Letter 10-35, Http://www.hadit.com/forums/topic/40962-Va-Fl-10-35/ Also Check Out This Link To Links For Delayed Onset Tinnitus - They All Refer Back To Fast Letter 10-35, Https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=Chrome-Instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=Utf-8#q=Tinnitus, Delayed Onset, Va Fast Letter
@  Tbird : (15 November 2014 - 07:50 AM) Asiadaug Searched All Over For Va Training Letter 10-028 But No Luck So Far.
@  Asiadaug : (15 November 2014 - 02:12 AM) Several Cases I've Run Across Mention Va Training Letter 10-028 With Apparent Discussion About Delayed Onset Of Tinnitus. I Have Been Unable To Locate That Trng Ltr. Any Suggestions?
@  Tbird : (12 November 2014 - 05:56 PM) Stretch Thanks For Contributing To Our Fundraising Campairg

Photo

Not Sure

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 Deacon 2011

Deacon 2011

E-4 Petty Officer 3rd Class

• Second Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:10 AM

Just rec'd an updated rating IU/100% + 60 (IU for TBI and a host of other things)... my notification letter stated "entitlement granted for SMC housebound criteria being met". I've read a bunch of information here but I am still unable to determine based on my situation which SMC category I would come under (L, M, or S).

Any help from those of you that understand this better than I do is much appreciated.

#2 jvretiredvet

jvretiredvet

E-6 Petty Officer 1st Class

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:29 PM

Although you were not (necessarily) found to be found housebound in fact, you qualify for "statutory housebound" because you have a single disability "rated as if" it were 100% disabling ADDENDUM: plus other service connected disabilities that combine to 60% or more. . The rules are at 38 CFR 3.350(i)(1) http://www.benefits....ART3/S3_350.DOC .

The entitlement is SMC(s) http://www.vba.va.go...ates/comp02.htm .

Just rec'd an updated rating IU/100% + 60 (IU for TBI and a host of other things)... my notification letter stated "entitlement granted for SMC housebound criteria being met". I've read a bunch of information here but I am still unable to determine based on my situation which SMC category I would come under (L, M, or S).

Any help from those of you that understand this better than I do is much appreciated.

Edited by jvretiredvet, 03 January 2012 - 10:51 AM.

#3 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22330 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 01:40 PM

I had to file a CUE when I found about IU plus 60%= housebound. I got my IU plus 60% about one year ago when this was being sorted out in the courts. I am glad the VA is granting HB when a vet gets total plus 60%. I would bet the VA has not gone back and looked at the many cases of vets with total plus 60% and granted HB with retro. I got two years of retro HB.

#4 jvretiredvet

jvretiredvet

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 02:02 PM

I don't want to get into the issue whether this strictly was a CUE or not.

The interpretation of 38 CFR 3.350(i)(1) changed in 2009. Page 4 of this link http://www.dav.org/v...ins/2009-10.pdf gives a pretty good synopsis.

I had to file a CUE when I found about IU plus 60%= housebound. I got my IU plus 60% about one year ago when this was being sorted out in the courts. I am glad the VA is granting HB when a vet gets total plus 60%. I would bet the VA has not gone back and looked at the many cases of vets with total plus 60% and granted HB with retro. I got two years of retro HB.

#5 Deacon 2011

Deacon 2011

E-4 Petty Officer 3rd Class

• PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:26 PM

Thanks, this was very helpful.

1325528968[/url]' post='267761']
Although you were not (necessarily) found to be found housebound in fact, you qualify for "statutory housebound" because you have a single disability "rated as if" it were 100% disabling. The rules are at 38 CFR 3.350(i)(1) http://www.benefits....ART3/S3_350.DOC .

The entitlement is SMC(s) http://www.vba.va.go...ates/comp02.htm .

#6 jmack

jmack

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:35 PM

So are you saying that If I am 100% P&T which includes one single disability at 60%, I am entitled to HB?

#7 Bonzai

Bonzai

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:36 PM

No, it has to be 100% service connected plus an additional 60% service connected or more.

#8 jmack

jmack

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:19 PM

No, it has to be 100% service connected plus an additional 60% service connected or more.

Ok I thought so thanks for clarifying that.

#9 Philip Rogers

Philip Rogers

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3979 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:32 PM

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought it had to be TDIU + 60% or 100%+ 60%??!!

pr

#10 jmack

jmack

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:20 PM

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought it had to be TDIU + 60% or 100%+ 60%??!!

pr

Is there "anyone" who is 100% P&T scheduler plus 60% and receiving HB?

Edited by jmack, 17 January 2012 - 07:22 PM.

#11 jbasser

jbasser

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Admin
  • 6283 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:15 AM

Everyone who is 100 percent P and T and has another disability or combination of disabilities that add up to 60 get HB. It is the total plus 60 rule.

Basser

#12 jvretiredvet

jvretiredvet

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:48 AM

A veteran does not have to be "permanent" to qualify for statutory housebound. For example, a temporary 100% (because of hospitalization or convalescence) with SEPARATE other disabilities combining to 60% or more.

Additionally, the 100%-because-of-TDIU must be due to a single disability.

Everyone who is 100 percent P and T and has another disability or combination of disabilities that add up to 60 get HB. It is the total plus 60 rule.

Basser

#13 jbasser

jbasser

• Admin
  • 6283 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:25 AM

The regs state total plus 60.
The give it to veterans who meet certain criteria like IU and an additional 60 percent.

That means that you are not 100 percent but are getting paid like you were along with the other benefits of being 100 percent.

With IU you still get the "old are you working form" each and every year to fill out. (What a headache to deal with)

Here is some added input:

(i) Total plus 60 percent, or housebound; 38 U.S.C. 1114(s). The special monthly compensation provided by 38 U.S.C. 1114(s) is payable where the veteran has a single service-connected disability rated as 100 percent and:

(1) Has additional service-connected disability or disabilities independently ratable at 60 percent, separate and distinct from the 100 percent service-connected disability and involving different anatomical segments or bodily systems, or

(2) Is permanently housebound by reason of service-connected disability or disabilities. This requirement is met when the veteran is substantially confined as a direct result of service-connected disabilities to his or her dwelling and the immediate premises or, if institutionalized, to the ward or clinical areas, and it is reasonably certain that the disability or disabilities and resultant confinement will continue throughout his or her lifetime

#14 jmack

jmack

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:11 PM

The regs state total plus 60.
The give it to veterans who meet certain criteria like IU and an additional 60 percent.

That means that you are not 100 percent but are getting paid like you were along with the other benefits of being 100 percent.

With IU you still get the "old are you working form" each and every year to fill out. (What a headache to deal with)

Here is some added input:

(i) Total plus 60 percent, or housebound; 38 U.S.C. 1114(s). The special monthly compensation provided by 38 U.S.C. 1114(s) is payable where the veteran has a single service-connected disability rated as 100 percent and:

(1) Has additional service-connected disability or disabilities independently ratable at 60 percent, separate and distinct from the 100 percent service-connected disability and involving different anatomical segments or bodily systems, or

(2) Is permanently housebound by reason of service-connected disability or disabilities. This requirement is met when the veteran is substantially confined as a direct result of service-connected disabilities to his or her dwelling and the immediate premises or, if institutionalized, to the ward or clinical areas, and it is reasonably certain that the disability or disabilities and resultant confinement will continue throughout his or her lifetime

How do I apply? I am 100% P&T included in that is 60% for failed total knee replacement

#15 jbasser

jbasser

• Admin
  • 6283 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:19 PM

Are you sure? What is your monthly comp? It is OK to PM that to me if you want privacy.
How long have you had the 60?

If you are not getting it, Do this.
Fill out a form 21-4138. Copy the regs and write this.

I am a 100 percent P and T vet with an additional 60 percent disability.

Why did the VA not award me SMC S when I became eligible?

This is a CUE as the VA is supposed to consider this when you get the 60 percent.

Easy CUE. When they awarded the claim, they misapplied the rating schedule by not using the regulations governing Special Monthly Compensation.

38 USC 11114 (S)

Basser

#16 carlie

carlie

Moderator/Admin/HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22280 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:31 PM

How do I apply? I am 100% P&T included in that is 60% for failed total knee replacement

Being 100% P&T - and INCLUDED IN THAT IS 60% for failed total knee replacement
does not meet the criteria for total - plus 60 percent.

That's a completely different situation than the criteria of the regs for HB / SMCS.