Search

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  chuck57thSig : (30 October 2014 - 05:51 PM) Sarti07, It's Under (Va Claims And Research) Http://www.hadit.com/forums/topic/59064-Prep-For-Decision-Phaseprovisional-Rating/
@  sarti07 : (30 October 2014 - 02:43 PM) Hello, I Just Posted A Topic About Prep For Decision.. I Have No Idea Where To Find It! Lol
@  carlie : (28 October 2014 - 03:42 PM) Reelnrod - Just Pick A Topic That Corresponds To Your Stuff And Post It
@  reelnrod : (28 October 2014 - 10:11 AM) So, How Do I Post A Topic?
@  Thadine : (28 October 2014 - 08:21 AM) Irrrl
@  Thadine : (28 October 2014 - 08:18 AM) Fishing License
@  Thadine : (28 October 2014 - 08:14 AM) Thadine Quick
@  red : (27 October 2014 - 12:14 PM) Anyone Heard Any Updates On Flying Space A For 100% Disabled Vets?
@  maxwell18 : (27 October 2014 - 10:49 AM) I Did Contact My Congressman Jeff Miller, Let's See What Will Happen
@  maxwell18 : (27 October 2014 - 10:48 AM) @britton
@  Tbird : (27 October 2014 - 04:26 AM) Thank You Larry S For Your Contribution To Our Funding Campaign
@  britton : (26 October 2014 - 07:33 PM) Everyone (Veteran's) Should Recive A Memo From The Dept Of Veterans Affairs ****notification Of Medication Scheduling Change****
@  britton : (26 October 2014 - 07:24 PM) Meds That Are Consider To Be Schedule Ii Narcotic...pain Meds Like Hydrocodone Ectt Ect,,
@  britton : (26 October 2014 - 07:22 PM) As I Understand We Only Can See The Va Dr's Every 28 Days To Renew Our Prescription Meds A New Law Went Into Effect Oct 6Th 2014....i Only See Problems Problems Problems With This...grrrrr
@  maxwell18 : (26 October 2014 - 03:52 PM) This Is Maxwell18 Would The Person Who Contacted Me (Vern2) Please Contact Me Again, I Attemped To E Mail You It Returned No Reply. Thanks
@  Tbird : (26 October 2014 - 05:12 AM) Thank You Maxwell18 For Your Contribution To Our Funding Campaign.
@  Notorious Kelly : (25 October 2014 - 07:53 PM) Max- Contact Your Congressman- Dea Has Got Docs So Cowed They're Afraid To Dispense Tylenol
@  maxwell18 : (25 October 2014 - 07:10 PM) Anybody Having Problems Getting Pain Pills (Norco) Filled Us Navy Base (Nas Whiting Fld Milton Fl). Had A Prescription For 90 Norco Pills For 30 Days, 3 A Day For Pain, Got 30 For 30 Days. That Will Last Me 10 Days. Another Thing That Our Government Is Screwing With Us. I Don't Know What To Do, Don't Want To To The Va, Don't Know What They Will Either. Anybody Goy Any Ideas. 
@  Burt : (25 October 2014 - 10:28 AM) Does Anyone Else Here Wear A Don Joy Armor Knee Brace From The Va?
@  red : (24 October 2014 - 10:10 AM) Any News On Space A Flying?

Photo
- - - - -

No Retro!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
96 replies to this topic

#81 COOL BREEZE

COOL BREEZE

E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officer

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:13 AM

Thank you. Now I can take a chill pill till the next round-

#82 Donna Kelley

Donna Kelley

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:30 AM

Donna:

Im not sure. I got my letter on 11 feb and on 14 mar (35 days), i got my dfas retro. But my ras was already updated with my new va/crdp amount. So with dfas youre likely to get an ras update first. And, as i said in my post, the never issued me that ras. On 21 march they created another ras which is now my monthly ras.

Youre BDD, if i remember. BDD is supposed to be expedited so i wouldnt be surprised if there are different time lines.

Hang in there. I think your key dates will be 30/35, 45, 60 and 90.

-mike

Mike,
Thank you for the note. I am not BDD, this time, it was an increase due spinal fusion of the L3-S1, S/C disc degeneration. While it is frustrating, as we have all become aware, there is not a lot that we can do about it. Donna

#83 Donna Kelley

Donna Kelley

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:32 AM

Thank you. Now I can take a chill pill till the next round-

Cool,
Congratulations, that has got to be some relief, a bit late, and frustrating, but a relief, none the less.
Donna

#84 Grey_Mike

Grey_Mike

E-2 Recruit

• Seaman
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:54 PM

So, i dont know if it's because im BDD or because my case goes back to 2007, or what but, after i resigned myself to waiting for the retro until july, it suddenly, and without warning, showed up in jy account. Awesome. Over four years of stress finally winding down.

Dont know what that says about a time line, but from notification of award to va retro was about 54 days.

Hope it is working for everyone else.

Donna, maybe that is a good sign.

-mike

#85 Irish-7

Irish-7

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:18 PM

I received a letter today that listed my retro-pay amount. I called the bank and confirmed the deposit. My financial affair with the VA is closed. For my military friends who may go through a similar scenario, here are the time frames: Filed-JUL 10, Retired-SEP 10, C&P (VA) Exam-OCT 10, Award-SEP 11, Unemployability approved-JAN 12, back pay-APR 12.

#86 Inthewind

Inthewind

E-4 Petty Officer 3rd Class

• Second Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:26 PM

edit

Edited by Inthewind, 20 November 2012 - 09:32 AM.

#87 Grey_Mike

Grey_Mike

E-2 Recruit

• Seaman
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:52 PM

Inthewind:
If i understand your question, there are really two retro payments. Dfas pays whatever youmaybe eligible from what they have witheld. Va then reviews all the payments etc and pays your retro from any changes due from %increase. If you have a dollar amt from va, that should, i say should, be independent of what va owes/pays. We d have to see all the facts of the case, etc. Everyone's mileage is slightly different. I would expect the dfas adjustment fairly quick. Va may be over 60 days 60 to 120 seems to be the norm, but hopefully earlier is the trend (closer to 60 than 120)

I assume both dfas and va are now tracking your current correct % and monthly pay /compensation amounts?

Good luck

- mike

#88 Grey_Mike

Grey_Mike

E-2 Recruit

• Seaman
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:58 PM

Sorry, i meant what va owes you is ibdependent of what dfas owes and pays you. I said va twice in the same sentence, sorry. Tired.

Dfas is going by what amount they would not have witheld had you been 100% at the time. That is witheld retirement pay. Va is paying what you should have been paid at the 100% rate difference. Minus any retro they va has already paid. The two accounts are separate and what you see from va, is strictly va's part, not dfas.

Hope that helps, sorry for any confusion.

Mike

#89 Inthewind

Inthewind

• PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:14 PM

edit

Edited by Inthewind, 20 November 2012 - 09:31 AM.

#90 Grey_Mike

Grey_Mike

E-2 Recruit

• Seaman
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:20 AM

Inthe wind:

(Are you on ebenefits? You can track some of this there, although, often the payments are made before that is updated).

Okay, let's see if we can dismantle this. First, technically, and we'll get past this technicality, technically, you cannot receive both full retired pay and full VA compensation at the same time. In fact the $3 dollars witheld as your offset proves this -- you weren't getting your full retirement. There are certain classes of retired military that can't draw both retirement and VA dis as I understand (to include those rated as less than 50% disabled). However, you are not one of those.

So DFAS does owe you the amount they withheld from 1 Nov 2010 until the last time they witheld the offset. DFAS audits this themselves and pays you the difference. Remember in DFAS mind, there is just as much chance that you owe them money. But that should not be the case.

VA knows that they owe you the difference in pay between 50% paid between 1 Nov 2010 and 1 Sept 2012 and the 100% rating effective 1 Nov 2010. For some reason VA has to have the results of the DFAS audit to proceed. What VA is trying to do is avoid paying you and then later determining that they over paid you (or VA and DFAS double paid you) and have to try and get the money back.

I imagine, and this is only my imagination, the first payment you received was for the 2012 fiscal year. Since they are in that cycle, their payments get corrected automatically (me imagining). What falls before this year must be audited.

So in about 60 to 90 days you'll receive the difference between the 50 and 100%.

The letter is technically correct. If you were less than 50% you would have received VA disability and no retired pay, if the VA was more than your retired pay. If it was less than your retired pay, you would have an equal portion witheld from retired pay and then receive the full VA payment. Because VA only controls part of the payment they have to make sure it all balances out.

The real problem here is that the VA does a lousy job of explaining things and letting you know what and why specifically is happening to you. But that might double their workload.

Hopefully that 'splains things a bit. We all have gone through the same mind numbing turmoil. I think we all came out the other side.

Take care

Grey Mike

#91 Inthewind

Inthewind

• PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:16 PM

edit

Edited by Inthewind, 20 November 2012 - 09:31 AM.

#92 Inthewind

Inthewind

• PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:18 PM

edit

Edited by Inthewind, 20 November 2012 - 09:30 AM.

#93 Inthewind

Inthewind

• PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:19 PM

edit

Edited by Inthewind, 20 November 2012 - 09:30 AM.

#94 carlie

carlie

Moderator/Admin/HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22212 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:07 PM

ITB
Why continue walking on the OP's topic,
can you start a new one with your questions ?
Thanks

#95 broncovet

broncovet

E-9 Master Chief Petty Officer

• Master Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3674 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:51 AM

In the wind.

I agree with Carlie. You get more and better answers to your posts when you start a new post, rather than ask a new question in someone elses posts.

That way, people do not get confused as to which poster they are answering questions. Its also more fair to the original poster because he is seeking answers to his own questions not someone elses. Lots of times, especially newbies, do not want to answer others questions, they only want someone to answer their question. They may not feel qualifed to give adivce to others. Hopefully this is a development where you read and learn and you can eventually give back to the community by answering questions that you have researched and feel comfortable answering. You can get your turn, too, just simply open a "new post" and ask your question.
It is certainly fine to respond to a poster, "Yea the same thing happened to me, this is what I did...."

#96 Grey_Mike

Grey_Mike

E-2 Recruit

• Seaman
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:30 AM

I would normally agree, however this topic kind of evolved into a place where people can get an idea of what their retro timeline might be. Having someone post every now and then keeps it current in a way. On most boards if someone were to post a new topic dealing with something that has already been posted, they might be told that the topic has already been 'answered', rather than get a new response. Especially in this case, since, in a sense, this has been answered three or four times.

I don't think the OP has been subverted, since it was answered, essentially.

So, I think in this case, the continued posting to the thread is useful and it has become a place where someone can get an answer just by reading the post, or new information can be exchanged as it comes up.

Just my opinion, of course. I don't really have an emotional stake in this :)

-Mike

#97 Inthewind

Inthewind

• PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:26 AM

My apoligies to the OP. My intent was not to "continue to Walk" on the thread, but to share the experience and timelines with others. My experience with boards is limited but on others, they encourage the continued use of a topic and not constant re-starts for the same issues.

Again, my apologies.