Advertise Here

Photo

80% To Iu

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#1 11cvolley

11cvolley

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:26 AM

On e-benefits my claim for IU has finally went to the under review which is after the claim received statues. How long does a claim for IU take?

I'm still trying to get better and been really tempted to try the temp services again for work, but I been told that one day of work would mess up my IU claim and that I need to stop and think about if it is worth trying to work at a temp service and passing on IU.

After thinking about it I feel that IU is my best course of action. What would you guys and gals do? Work when you can or go for IU? My last job was over a year ago and couldn't get myself to walk through the doors to work.

Advertise Here

#2 Philip Rogers

Philip Rogers

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3822 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:43 AM

If you have that much trouble, and it's PTSD, I would pursue TDIU, if you can continue to survive on your current income rate. I believe you could continue to work sporadically, without hurting your IU claim but that's your choice. jmo

pr

#3 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22163 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:52 AM

Get your TDIU and then try vocational rehabilitation if you are up to it. Get treatment for the PTSD.

#4 11cvolley

11cvolley

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:25 PM

IDK if this is fast but I have an appointment tomorrow and on the 31st for my IU claim. The 31st appointment is a C&P for IU. How fast do IU claims for ptsd generally go?

#5 11cvolley

11cvolley

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:01 PM

Had my PTSD C&P for IU today. It was different. 2 hours long, lots of questions, and a 354 true/false form. It was a little odd. He asked me to describe each one of my family members including my 2 month old son. Asked me what type of shows/pc games I played. As usual I felt like I was being tested and trying to be caught in a lie or something. The questions were like, "whats your favorite type of PC game?" "what PC game is your favorite?" "What is the best part about that PC game?" The funny thing is a lot of the true/false questions actually fit me. Like if I make sexual jokes or find myself referencing normal things to sex, or how do I do waiting in line or having someone cut in line... Well I'll cross my fingers for a IU rating.

#6 11cvolley

11cvolley

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:35 PM

So I haven't seen my C&P report but I was told by my social worker that the VA doctor that did my C&P said I have some form of schizophrenia that may have been present before the trauma but was aggravated or activated by the trauma. Well I totally disagree with it and I do NOT hear or see things that are not there but whatever I guess. Does this BS hurt my claim for IU?

#7 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 22163 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:45 PM

If the doctor says you have schizophrenia that was aggravated by service it does not matter if he believes you see little pink mice as long as you get IU and it is P&T. When servicemen first started showing up with PTSD after Vietnam the VA would DX them with schizophrenia because they did not have a medical DX for a thing called PTSD.

#8 11cvolley

11cvolley

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:35 AM

I guess I just don't understand how this could help my case. Even if it guarantees IU/PT I don't think it would be worth the trouble it is going to cause with my treatment?

#9 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 22163 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:10 AM

Your treatment has nothing to do with your rating.

#10 11cvolley

11cvolley

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:19 AM

I know that but won't having a possible wrong diagnoses mess up my treatment plan?

#11 hedgey

hedgey

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:12 PM

Hi volley,

It sounds like you had a good c & p, cause if they're saying anything about your service impacting you, it's good. I wouldn't worry about the specific diagnosis right now. I see my diagnoses change in my medical records all the time - like my chondromalecia patella turned into arthralgia all by itself.

With mental health I'm betting the treatment plan will be talk therapy (where the therapist will get to know what's what as long as you're honest as you can be) and psychiatric treatment, meaning medications. Don't worry, your treating psychiatrist will read your records but will make their own diagnosis before prescribing medication. They won't just look at your C & P and say "Oh, schizophrenia. This calls for purple pills with little yellow dots on them!".

I understand what you're going through. I HATE not knowing what's going on, what's going to happen. And I always fear the worst is the only possible outcome.

It took me a while, but I (and my spouse too) got lucky and finally got paired up with a great VA social-worker therapist and psychiatrist who work very closely together - they actually read each other's progress notes before our appointments. So psychiatrist knows from therapist how we're doing week by week, and then therapist knows from psychiatrist what changes have been made to our medications, etc.

Try not to over-think all of this, even though it's impossible to think about anything else.

Also, as to the temp work, it's not worth the risk. What if you find you can't make it through the day? I'm not trying to be a negative nelly, but why add the stress to you life if you can get by without it?

Just breathe. Now breathe again. Again. Keep going, just keep breathing.

We're rooting for you!!

#12 11cvolley

11cvolley

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:46 PM

Hi volley,

It sounds like you had a good c & p, cause if they're saying anything about your service impacting you, it's good. I wouldn't worry about the specific diagnosis right now. I see my diagnoses change in my medical records all the time - like my chondromalecia patella turned into arthralgia all by itself.

With mental health I'm betting the treatment plan will be talk therapy (where the therapist will get to know what's what as long as you're honest as you can be) and psychiatric treatment, meaning medications. Don't worry, your treating psychiatrist will read your records but will make their own diagnosis before prescribing medication. They won't just look at your C & P and say "Oh, schizophrenia. This calls for purple pills with little yellow dots on them!".

I understand what you're going through. I HATE not knowing what's going on, what's going to happen. And I always fear the worst is the only possible outcome.

It took me a while, but I (and my spouse too) got lucky and finally got paired up with a great VA social-worker therapist and psychiatrist who work very closely together - they actually read each other's progress notes before our appointments. So psychiatrist knows from therapist how we're doing week by week, and then therapist knows from psychiatrist what changes have been made to our medications, etc.

Try not to over-think all of this, even though it's impossible to think about anything else.

Also, as to the temp work, it's not worth the risk. What if you find you can't make it through the day? I'm not trying to be a negative nelly, but why add the stress to you life if you can get by without it?

Just breathe. Now breathe again. Again. Keep going, just keep breathing.

We're rooting for you!!

Thank you. My biggest fear was getting some new medication and being like one of those guys off of batman begins where the dude sprayed the chemical in batman's face and he started seeing all kinds of crazy stuff.

#13 11cvolley

11cvolley

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:00 PM

Also, as to the temp work, it's not worth the risk. What if you find you can't make it through the day?

This is what I kept telling my father-in-law. Why risk roughly 1,400 a month from the VA for a 1,100 a month job that might not last because of my issues. Not to mention the cost for daycare, tax, gas, ect. If I get 100% I would need at lease a 2,200 a month job to cover what I would lose from 100% to 80%. Then my student loans will pop back up with added interest. Like I told him, "Do I want to work? Yes; however, I can't work for less than what the VA will be providing." I have a wife and child to think about and not my need to get out of the house and work on and off.

#14 Psycotic disorde

Psycotic disorde

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:54 PM

hey man im in the same boat as u i appied iu with my orginal claim and it has just been closed but the letter generator says nothing about my iu but looking at tdiu claims forum alout people lettere generator didnt say it either but they got in the big brown enevelope

#15 11cvolley

11cvolley

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:05 PM

On e-beni it finally says preparing decision for my IU claim. Cross my fingers.

#16 11cvolley

11cvolley

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:12 AM

I have a question. Since I filed for IU like a month after getting SCed for ptsd will they back date the IU to my original claim for ptsd or when I filed for IU?

#17 Wings

Wings

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 12762 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:33 AM

I have a question. Since I filed for IU like a month after getting SCed for ptsd will they back date the IU to my original claim for ptsd or when I filed for IU?

x
x
x

The will award TDIU if you are rated at least 70% for PTSD and the evidence shows unemplyability due to sc PTSD. Also, they may grant retro TDIU if all of your cumulative evidence inferred/suggested the unemplyability issue, or you claimed the issue in writing. ~Wings

#18 11cvolley

11cvolley

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:40 AM

x
x
x

The will award TDIU if you are rated at least 70% for PTSD and the evidence shows unemplyability due to sc PTSD. Also, they may grant retro TDIU if all of your cumulative evidence inferred/suggested the unemplyability issue, or you claimed the issue in writing. ~Wings

Yes, I am 70% for PTSD and 30% for asthma.

The unemployment issue has been there since my first day of treatment back in 2010. So I would think they should go back to my original file date for getting SCed with PTSD but I think I may have to fight it. I'm thinking they will only want to back date it to when I put in the IU claim which was right after I got SCed for PTSD.

#19 hedgey

hedgey

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:20 PM

I got my decision letter on my PTSD claim saying they'd rated me 70%. In the packet was the form to file for TDIU, which I did right away, same as you.

When I got the decision about TDIU (just about 6 months later) I got retro'd the difference clear back to the original filing date of my PTSD claim.

Did I answer what you were asking?

#20 11cvolley

11cvolley

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:39 PM

I got my decision letter on my PTSD claim saying they'd rated me 70%. In the packet was the form to file for TDIU, which I did right away, same as you.

When I got the decision about TDIU (just about 6 months later) I got retro'd the difference clear back to the original filing date of my PTSD claim.

Did I answer what you were asking?

Yes. Thank you very much.

#21 11cvolley

11cvolley

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:55 AM

Called 800# and they said it could take 70 days for them to make a decision. Of course this is their standard answer. All I know is they better not send it back to the development phase like they did for my original PTSD claim.

#22 11cvolley

11cvolley

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:43 PM

Well still waiting on a decision. I got a call from Social Security and I have to send pay stubs from wife and proof of my VA pay. The lady said I make to much to get SSDI but I will be paid for the five months before I started getting 80%. IDK how much it will be since it my 30% for those months and my wife's income will take away from the monthly pay.

Since I was approved SSDI I see no reason for the VA to deny me IU or 100% for PTSD now.

#23 jvretiredvet

jvretiredvet

E-6 Petty Officer 1st Class

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:49 PM

I hope you are mis-quoting the lady from Social Security.

There are no income limitations or restrictions for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits. There are income limitations for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits.

Well still waiting on a decision. I got a call from Social Security and I have to send pay stubs from wife and proof of my VA pay. The lady said I make to much to get SSDI but I will be paid for the five months before I started getting 80%. IDK how much it will be since it my 30% for those months and my wife's income will take away from the monthly pay.

Since I was approved SSDI I see no reason for the VA to deny me IU or 100% for PTSD now.

#24 11cvolley

11cvolley

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:54 PM

IDK then. I just remember her saying I get back pay from time I filed up to when I got 80%. What would that mean then? SSI and not SSDI?

#25 11cvolley

11cvolley

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:40 AM

So i got a letter from social security that had a temp password and for me to register at socialsecurity.gov/onlineservices.
I did and on there it says:

Payment type: Disability
Payment amount: 816.00 Every 3rd Wen.

So I guess this is SSDI.

#26 MPsgt

MPsgt

E-4 Petty Officer 3rd Class

• Second Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:50 PM

So i got a letter from social security that had a temp password and for me to register at socialsecurity.gov/onlineservices.
I did and on there it says:

Payment type: Disability
Payment amount: 816.00 Every 3rd Wen.

So I guess this is SSDI.

Yes, I receive SSDI and I'm rated at 80%. Congratulations.

#27 11cvolley

11cvolley

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:13 PM

first payment is on the 16th next month and then will be 3rd Wen of every month after. They said the back pay will be here prob june 15th-1st july but I hope it is earlier. We are thinking of moving into a house but IDK how I will feel living on a ground floor. We live on the 3rd floor and it feels a lot safer than a ground floor.

Advertise Here