Photo
- - - - -

100 Percent And Working?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 meggi

meggi

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 06:44 AM

I have a question that has come up in my local VA day center. Is it possible to have more than 100% and not be unimployable. Say you have 80% for injuries and they rate you 50% or more for mental conditions related to your 80% disability. I do know that you can't get 130%! In this situation can you get 100% and still not be declared unable to work?
I hope that I am clear.
Tom Meggison

#2 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21845 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 08:31 AM

Tom

80% and 50% don't equal 100% using VA math. The way I understand it if you are 80% disabled then you are 20% abled. 50% of 20% = 10%. 80%+10%=90%. So, yes you can still work unless you are unable to work. What kind of rating has the VA given you?

#3 meggi

meggi

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 08:34 AM

Tom

80% and 50% don't equal 100% using VA math. The way I understand it if you are 80% disabled then you are 20% abled. 50% of 20% = 10%. 80%+10%=90%. So, yes you can still work unless you are unable to work. What kind of rating has the VA given you?

#4 meggi

meggi

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 08:39 AM

Good Morning, I am rated 80 %. I know that you cannot exceed 100%. Can you receive 100% disability and still be able to work at a job. Or you cannot receive 100% disability unless you are unimployable.
thanks again for the answer.
Tom

#5 JR Reihs

JR Reihs

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 10:27 AM

At 100% rated, you can still work and make all you can, or want........IU 100% means no work, as you are given the extra % because you can't work.

Edited by JR Reihs, 20 July 2006 - 10:36 AM.

#6 Pete53

Pete53

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder

• 21601 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 11:50 AM

I don't think working is a good idea no matter how you are rated at 100%. The VA can reevaluste and change fairly eaisly. Just my opinion.

#7 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 21845 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 12:52 PM

If any part of your 100% rating is for a mental/emotional condition then working is going to hurt you if the VA finds out. In an obvious case where a vet has legs and arms missing then I think you have no trouble working, but for injuries that are not very obvious working can be a problem. Everytime I go to the VA I get the feeling that they are just looking for excuses to trim expenses and we ,disabled, vets are considered expenses. I think everyone here would like to work if they could but you have to look at it like the VA looks at it. They will see it as someone trying to have their cake and eat it too. If you are IU or 100% schedular probably the best thing you can do is disappear into the woodwork. That is hard for me to do because I always want to fight them, but I think it is wise and that is the feedback I have gotten from others here on Hadit. I think having a severe emotional injury is the worst because it is not always obvious. I sometimes wish I had lost a leg or arm so I could point to it .

#8 Guest_rickb54_*GuestMember

Guest_rickb54_*GuestMember
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2006 - 03:55 PM

Meggi,

Actually you can legally work if you have 100% schedular or if you have 100% based on TDIU. Anyone that says otherwise are telling you their opinion. The only time your are not permitted to work is if you are rated for mental disorders. If you are 100% based on TDIU than you can earn up to the poverty wage. You are not considered gainfully employed if you make poverty or less in pay, or if you work in a family business, or sheltered workshops... such as goodwill, or skillcraft (blind made products), or if your boss decides to put you into a make work situtation... ie: your hired to install cable, and the boss puts you on a desk earning the same wage this is done alot in civil service especially when someone is pending retirement.

Now most will and some already have told you that you cannot work, or should not work if you are drawing TDIU. This is good advice, because the va does track you ssan with the social security administration for any earning you may make. If your work and the va finds you made more than poverty, you could lose TDIU. The decision is yours too make.

Make no mistake anyone with 100% schedular can legally work, and many do. Examples that come to mind are, Sen Max Cleland, and Sen Bob Dole... The va does not track schedular 100% disabled veterans.

Hope this answers your question.

#9 Tbird

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com established 1997

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 05:20 PM

as rick and john said you can be 100% scheduler and still work, we have some double amputees on the board that fall into that category, on the other hand if you are rated 100% for mental disorders is a no go, which makes sense to me. though you could work in a sheltered enviroment.

TDIU means unemployable if you can work you are employable, except perhaps in the case of a sheltered workshop where the purpose is not really to make much money but to help stablize the veteran and reintegrate them into social enviroments as well as something to do everyday.