Search

Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup
@  carlie : (30 August 2014 - 06:27 PM) Vet211060 - I Guess They're Not That Shameful After All : - ) Congrats On Some Positive Adjudication
@  vet201060 : (30 August 2014 - 04:24 PM) Dav Sent Letter Saying I Am 100% Effective Oct 2013
@  MarkInTexas : (30 August 2014 - 12:35 PM) Wish There Was A "like" Button For Some Of These Comments.......
@  MarkInTexas : (30 August 2014 - 12:26 PM) Amen To That!
@  vet201060 : (28 August 2014 - 09:55 PM) Va Is So Shameful!!
@  artlouis : (27 August 2014 - 11:36 AM) Code 7019
@  vet201060 : (26 August 2014 - 11:41 PM) Damn Post It Notes
@  vet201060 : (26 August 2014 - 11:41 PM) True That
@  Asiadaug : (26 August 2014 - 07:46 PM) I Have Yet To Deal With Any Piece Of Va That Isn't A Dysfunctional Mess...ebenefits, Claim Filing, Billing...and To Think Our Tax Dollars Are Used To Perpetuate That Calamity!
@  carlie : (26 August 2014 - 05:39 PM) notorious kelly - loved your shout ! ! !
@  GlassRose1500 : (26 August 2014 - 03:40 PM) Would Someone Add Smc Housbound Plus Smc A&a Regular And One Smc K For Me? I Can't Seem To Do That Math!
@  Notorious Kelly : (26 August 2014 - 03:12 PM) Ebenefits Is Not A Thermometer In The Rectum Of Your Claim; It Is A Post-It Note That May Or Not Be Updated Or Accurate. Try Not To Obsess ;)
@  mcassidy : (26 August 2014 - 01:25 PM) Osa
@  Jaluluah11B : (26 August 2014 - 10:05 AM) My Reconsideration Finally Showed Up On Ebenefits As A New Claim.  gathering Evidence.  [font=Arial][size=3]Automated 5103 Notice Response Needed. [/size][/font]
@  vet201060 : (26 August 2014 - 10:00 AM) Went From Pending Decision Approval To Review Of Evidence Today, I Need To Stop Looking At It. Drives You Crazy Waiting
@  GlassRose1500 : (25 August 2014 - 09:30 PM) @coriemboh I Get My Best Claim Advice Here, But My Dav Guy Gets The Best Intel Once The Claim Is Filed
@  coriemboh : (25 August 2014 - 08:57 PM) The Average Processing Time Is 9 Months More Or Less. Every Time I Call The 800#, I Get A Different Answer. Goe, Roe....make Up Your Mind!
@  coriemboh : (25 August 2014 - 08:56 PM) I Just Want To Know Ballpark Figure Of How Much Longer My Claim Will Take. The Bills Are Piling Up. Adds To My Anxiety And Depression. Sure Wish I Could Tell Bill Collectors The Same Things Va Tells Me!
@  coriemboh : (25 August 2014 - 08:54 PM) @glassrose1500-No, I Don't. I Put In For Representation A Few Days Ago, But I'm Sure That End Won't Pan Out Until The Claim Is Closed.
@  GlassRose1500 : (25 August 2014 - 12:11 PM) Would Appreciate Feedback On My Smc Draft - Posted In The Smc Section! Tkx!

Photo
- - - - -

Reps Program

Question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 grent

grent

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:22 PM

Hi:

i would like to know about or what is the "REPS PROGRAM?"

Thnks

Advertise Here

#2 hawkfire27

hawkfire27

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:54 AM

Here is the application form:

http://www.va.gov/va...?FormNo=21-8924

Here is a site with a little more informaiton:

http://www.etsu.edu/...ation/reps.aspx

It is my understanding that if you have a spouse that is disabled with Social Security and you have a child under 18 you recieve a payment if you also do not work. For example my husand is 100% SC'ed and alspo recieves SSD. We have a child together. I do not work I stay home and look after my husband and raise our daughter (I also attend College fulltime online through the VA Chapter 35). Because I do not earn enough taxable income Social Security gives me a certain amount each month to help pay the bills. The amount that our family gets is split evenly between me and my daughter. When she turns 16 I no longer recieve my portion but my daughter will continue to recieve her portion until she is 18. The REPS program through the VA effectively reinstates my portion until my daughter turns 18. So I end up getting the extra two years, it would just come from VA instead of social security. My daughter portion from SS continues unchanged (until she turns 18). That is my understanding of the REPS benefits.

#3 broncovet

broncovet

E-9 Master Chief Petty Officer

• Master Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3617 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:14 AM

Great post, Hawk.
I noticed you had to go to the Tennessee Vets website to get info on Reps...that the VA convienently "forgot" to have a web page for "Reps" on the va.gov website.
The Reps program is a great example of how the VA has these "secret benefits"...that only their chosen few know about.
I did a "search" on the VA website for "Reps". Altho the search did have about 10 pages of hits, these are mostly buried in case law, with absolutely no page on "how to apply for Reps".

#4 Berta

Berta

HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• SVR
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28634 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:45 AM

Hawkfire -that was an excellent explanation of how SSA benefits are involved in REPs determinations.

But REPS is not paid unless the criteria or the veteran's death is met.I need to clarify this for anyne reading these posts.

This BVA decision shows what I mean :

http://www.va.gov/ve...es4/9931875.txt

The decision reveals the widow had been granted DIC.

But the decision also states the criteria for REPS had not been met:

“FINDING OF FACT

1. The veteran did not die on active duty prior to August 13,

2. The veteran did not die of a service-connected disability
that was incurred or aggravated prior to August 13, 1981. “

I can read between the lines on this decision to conclude that the widow was awarded DIC under Section 1151 38 USC due to VA misdiagnosis and negligence.

In 1998 I was awarded Section 1151 DIC and was not eligible for REPs.

In 2009 however I was awarded direct service connected death of my husband due to DMII from AO causing and contributing to IHD and CVA.
That made me eligible for REPS.

If that claim had not succeedd, the award I received Monday (IHD due to AO and Section 1151 CVA rated under CUE claim award, would have rendered me eligible for REPS anyhow.

REPS as I understand it, is not an ancillary benefit under the 38 USC 1318 Ten Year DIC rule.

“The Restored Entitlement Program for Survivors, enacted by
Congress in 1982, provides for the payment of benefits to
certain surviving spouses and children of former members of
the Armed Forces. The Restored Entitlement Program for
Survivors benefits replaced certain Social Security benefits
that were either reduced or terminated by the Omnibus Budget
Act of 1981. See generally 38 C.F.R.§ 3.812 (1999). In
ascertaining a claimant's eligibility for entitlement to
benefits under the Restored Entitlement Program for
Survivors, the provisions of 38 C.F.R.§ 3.812 require that a
determination first be made that the person on whose death
the claim is based, either died on active duty prior to
August 13, 1981, or died as a result of a service-connected
disability that was incurred or aggravated prior to August
13, 1981.”
Source : above BVA decision and this is also on the REPS application

#5 Berta

Berta

• SVR
  • 28634 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:49 AM

PS some children as survivors are also eligible for REPs if they continue their education after high school .

My daughter joined the military right after high school so I don't know how those benefits work.

If I find something about that I will post it here.

I only knew of REPs because of NVLSPs VBM which I have purchased since 1991.

My former Vet reps had noknowledge whatsoever of this program.

#6 Philip Rogers

Philip Rogers

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3882 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:09 AM

Here is the application form:

http://www.va.gov/va...?FormNo=21-8924

Here is a site with a little more informaiton:

http://www.etsu.edu/...ation/reps.aspx

Not sure on the REPS thing but a spouse receives an SS benefit until the child is 16 yo because she/he is considered the child's caretaker and is responsible for the child when the child comes home from school (SS doesn't feel a child under 16 yo can be home alone after school). I don't think working has anything to do w/it. At 16 yo, the payment stops to the parent but is added to the child's payment until the child is 18 yo.

pr

It is my understanding that if you have a spouse that is disabled with Social Security and you have a child under 18 you recieve a payment if you also do not work. For example my husand is 100% SC'ed and alspo recieves SSD. We have a child together. I do not work I stay home and look after my husband and raise our daughter (I also attend College fulltime online through the VA Chapter 35). Because I do not earn enough taxable income Social Security gives me a certain amount each month to help pay the bills. The amount that our family gets is split evenly between me and my daughter. When she turns 16 I no longer recieve my portion but my daughter will continue to recieve her portion until she is 18. The REPS program through the VA effectively reinstates my portion until my daughter turns 18. So I end up getting the extra two years, it would just come from VA instead of social security. My daughter portion from SS continues unchanged (until she turns 18). That is my understanding of the REPS benefits.

Edited by Philip Rogers, 25 January 2012 - 09:10 AM.

#7 Berta

Berta

• SVR
  • 28634 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:17 AM

Right, unless the working income is very high, I guess that might make a difference on the SSA surivor's benefits but, actually I dont believe it would.

I was a livestock farmer during part of the time I received the SSDI parent's benefit and that generated an income.

(plus some good beef,lamb, goats meat and fabulous chicken dinners.)

I dont think SSA ever asked me for any personal income statement regarding these parents benefits or even for the survivor 's SSA benefits I get.

I asked my tax man about the initial reduced benefit as a SSA survivor benefit at age 60 or should I wait until 65 to get the full SSA survivor amount and he advised (even my lawyer did too) to take the reduced benefit at 60.

Advertise Here