Photo

Ilp

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
62 replies to this topic

#1 Teac

Teac

E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officer

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1158 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:46 AM

I received a phone call on 30 Jan from the San Antonio sub-office, of the Houston Regional Office. I was informed that they will approve an ILP for me. She went on to say that they must wait until they receive my Vocational rehabilation file from Georgia, before they can actually put anything in writing.

I already had one period of ILP in 2000 when the va paid for a e-machine computer and printer, and three intro to computer classes. I lived in NC back then. When I lived in Killeen Texas in 2005 I requested another period of ILP due to worsing medical issues and I was approved for a new ILP. Before my ILP was drafted and put in writing I moved to Augusta Georgia were for almost two years the va made all kinds of promises, but never deliverd any plain in writing, and I never received anything. The va indicated that I refused further counseling so they terminated the program... I answered how do you terminate something that was never put in writing...

So Now it looks like I will get a new program.. I am excited... but I requested the ILp on a whim after reading about Pete's ILP.

My needs have changed a lot since 2005 when I first wanted an ILP... Now I am not sure about what I should ask for .

I know the program is to help me become more independant in daily living.. but.. what does that really mean... considering I am on oxygen 24/7 and in a wheelchair due to a spinal and leg injury.

I would enjoy woodworking and I just had a new 10x12 shed built to use as a shop. I do need some new tools but I wonder if they will provide them or if they will say that the ILP if for something I have never done... Or will they deny something like woodworking because I am on oxygen.

I also wonder if they will provide a service dog, ( in 2005 the counselor in georgia said no dogs).

Does anyone have any Ideas as to how I can benefit from the program, or what I could ask for? I want to be prepared when I have my first meeting with the va counselor....

Wow, I have so may questions I don't know were to start.....

#2 carlie

carlie

Moderator/Admin/HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22282 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:44 AM

So Now it looks like I will get a new program.. I am excited... but I requested the ILp on a whim after reading about Pete's ILP.

I also wonder if they will provide a service dog, ( in 2005 the counselor in georgia said no dogs).

[/quote

Teac,
I have no info or suggestions to post for your ILP but just wanted to say congrats about it
appearing to go thru
AND
here's a link for the journey tbird is going thru to obtain a service dog :
http://www.hadit.com...__fromsearch__1

Hope this helps a vet.

#3 Teac

Teac

• 1158 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:10 PM

Up date....

On 16 Feb the voc rehab counselor called and requested that I send her a copy of my latest ratings, which I promply e-mailed to her.

Today she called me to ask me if I would attend an initial group orientation on 27 Mar at 11:15. I accepted the appointment and she indicated she was going to mail me a package and that I would need to fill out some forms prior to going to the orientation.

I requested the program in Jan so it seems that the va is moving a little faster than usual...

I am very excited about what may be possible. I have put togther a short list of items I sure could use..... but I really would be content if the ILP program just contained a few items. My short list is as follows.

1. Door Bell visual signal
2. Small Riding Lawn Mower (Craftsman 30”, Snapper 28”-30” or 33”, Bolen 38”)
3. Lawn sprinkler system
4. Tempur-Pedic Mattress
5. Lift Chair/recliner
6. Whole House HEPA dust collection system
7. Workshop dust collection system
8. Medic alert system connected to my security system
9. Service dog for hearing, & balance problems

I would be very happy with the hepa fiters, hearing assistance devices, and a small riding law mower, because It cost me $40.00 twice a month to have the lawn cut....

I would be extremely grateful for a service dog and think I would get out more if I had a service dog's assistance.

I am asking for these things to help make myback, hearing and breathing disabilities more bearable.

I will update the board after my orientation.

#4 Pete53

Pete53

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder

• 21902 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:43 AM

You really need to have them visit you in your home. You can ask for stuff and the person who consults will write up a recommendation. I asked for remodeled bath which I got through another program but they recommended the tempurpedic bed and also a new central a/c . I got the bed but not the a/c at least so far. I don't know where I got this but it appears that they can spend up to 25,000 on each Veteran.

This program can work very well and can also be very frustrating. Good Luck I also got a low flow toilet and some grab bars for the shower.

#5 Teac

Teac

• 1158 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:02 AM

You really need to have them visit you in your home. You can ask for stuff and the person who consults will write up a recommendation. I asked for remodeled bath which I got through another program but they recommended the tempurpedic bed and also a new central a/c . I got the bed but not the a/c at least so far. I don't know where I got this but it appears that they can spend up to 25,000 on each Veteran.

This program can work very well and can also be very frustrating. Good Luck I also got a low flow toilet and some grab bars for the shower.

Well I will need to think about it before I let them in my home.

I don't want to let them in my home because the first thing they are going to say is I need a new bathroom, and widen doors etc because I use a wheelchair. I don't want to spend the money on these Items because in a few years we plan to sell out, and build our " retirement home".

The last time I tried to get a program all kinds of things were recommended, but when it came to them providing anything I got nothing except more promises and a lot of headaches. I re-applied after reading your comments, but at this point unless they prove otherwise I really don't expect much if anything from them.

#6 Pete53

Pete53

• 21902 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:20 PM

Well I will need to think about it before I let them in my home.

I don't want to let them in my home because the first thing they are going to say is I need a new bathroom, and widen doors etc because I use a wheelchair. I don't want to spend the money on these Items because in a few years we plan to sell out, and build our " retirement home".

The last time I tried to get a program all kinds of things were recommended, but when it came to them providing anything I got nothing except more promises and a lot of headaches. I re-applied after reading your comments, but at this point unless they prove otherwise I really don't expect much if anything from them.

Than tell them what you want per your list and see what happens. Can't hurt like I said they are doing better.

#7 Teac

Teac

• 1158 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:51 PM

I have my first voc rehab appointment in the am. I am going to have a bad night, always do when I have to deal with the va the next day... I have to attend the orientaton and watch the video before they even sit down to talk with me. I don't really know what to expect... will update you tomorrow as to how things go....

#8 Pete53

Pete53

• 21902 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:57 AM

They will also test you to see if you can work. Don't fret about it just something to endure and the film shows some things that ILP does so watch it carefully. The film is what I used to get mys stuff.

Good Luck

#9 Teac

Teac

• 1158 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:49 PM

Well what can I say... a waste of time..

First no video , just a slide presenation of what the purpose of voc rehab is, with one slide on the ILP. The you have this guy reading from the slides like adults can't read.... Then a woman from the Texas veteran commission speaks for about 15 minutes.. all in all 2.5 hours of waste and to make it worse.. 12 others besides myself and there are six seperate conversations going at once.. not a good place to be if you have a hearing problem.

But the real kicker.. when I finally went to speak to the counselor Ms. Pannell, the first thing she said is we can't do anything.......As God is my judge.... that is the first thing she said... then we talked for about 15 minutes, and I told her that I expected her to say this , but that she needed to try to do something before saying she can't.. then she tells me the first step is the home visit. But she really wants me to go through my PCP before she trys to get anything, I told her.. do the home study and lets see what happends... but that no isn't a word I understand so we will see .. what happends now.....

Since this is what I expected.... I am not disappointed yet....

#10 Pete53

Pete53

• 21902 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:18 PM

Ask your PCP to recommend you although this should not be necessary

#11 Teac

Teac

• 1158 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:18 PM

I am adding a listing of wed cites that the voc rehab folks gave me..

it contains information on job searches and cites for the disabled hope it helps anyone

Attached Files

#12 Bonzai

Bonzai

E-6 Petty Officer 1st Class

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:02 AM

So I figure nothing ventured is nothing gained - I am going for it. I have tried since the beginning of the week to contact someone at Voc Rehab in Memphis, to find out where to send the filled out VA Form 28-1900. I finally got through to someone today, and found out that it has to be sent to the Nashville RO. There was no place on the form to indicate Independent Living Program, and the lady I spoke to said that I have to wait to hear from Nashville.

So from reading what others have gone through, I will talk to one of my providers as soon as I can about this and try to get their recommendation - I hope it is not difficult to get. There is a neat listing of what some other veterans were able to get on the VBN website.

#13 Teac

Teac

• 1158 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:52 PM

Ok so now I feel a screw job coming...

Today I received a letter that states:

We have received you claim for vocational rehabilitation under chaper 31.

An evaluation of all the issues surrounding you case will be completed to determine your entitlement to
vocational rehabilitation benefits.This evaluation is required of all applicants for vocational rehabilitations.
During this evaluation, you will be able to provide information which will help us to make a fair and equitable
decision on your claim.

If required, you will be notified by seperate letter of the need to meet with a VA Vocational Rehabilitaion and
counseling staff to explore your situtation further. At that time you many bring any available copies of school records, transcrips, and or test records with you.

Inclosed VA Form 4107 ( Your rights to appeal our decision)

Since I already attended a meeting on the 27th of Mar, this letter seems out of place. Maybe it is another
form letter, that they have to send, I don't know. I find it interesting that a VA Form 4107 was included in the letter, since no decision has been made. In fact at that meeting on 27Th Mar the counselor stated a home study would be done.... anyway I don't trust the va, and feel a shaft job coming.. but I hope I am wrong....

#14 Bonzai

Bonzai

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:18 PM

I received a call from Voc-Rehab yesterday, less than a week after I had sent in my VA Form 28-1900. I was informed that I forgot to sign and date it - Oooooops! While I had the Voc-Rehab guy on the phone I explain a little about my situation, and that I was interested in ILP services. He told me to add it as a remark in section 15.B So I printed out my saved copy, signed it, and was able to get it in the mail yesterday.

#15 Teac

Teac

• 1158 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:35 PM

I received a call from Voc rehab, they scheduled a homestudy on 8 June at 1:PM.... what can I expect anyone know?

#16 Teac

Teac

• 1158 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:28 PM

VA Playing games again. today I received an appointment slip for the Polytrama rehab center. My first thought was what the F*** is this.... then I noticed the time for the appointment.. it is the same time that I was called for a homestudy appointmet.. or so I thought.

I called the number provided, identified my self and inquired about the appointment and I was told it was to do a consult concerning what adapted equipment I needed in my home.. I said that I thought that the appointment was for a homestudy.. she kindly told me oh we don't do homestudies anymore.. .she told me to call the voc rehab counselor...

First I told voc rehab I did not not want nor need my home to be remodeled... so they are waisting time and playing games, I called the rehab counselor but she did not answer the phone...

I plan on having a serious discussion with her, and then start writing letters, first to the local news, then senators, and congress critter, and anyone else I can think of..

I am not going to let the va screw me again, I sat in Augusta georgia for about two years and all I heard were promises,and got nothing, not this time... damn va why in hell do they tell you they have a program then screw every veteran who tries to use it?

#17 Pete53

Pete53

• 21902 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:27 PM

Until I had the home study I got zip from ILP. The study is a visit usually by someone helpful that looks at your needs and what could help you. I felt the same way but the lady they sent was very helpful and because of her I got some good stuff.

They come with a pretty positive attitude and try to write up something you need and or want as long as it fits in their guidelines. My visit got me a real nice tempurpedic bed that I could not afford and I also got shower put in and tub taken out.

Good Luck

#18 Teac

Teac

• 1158 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:37 AM

Until I had the home study I got zip from ILP. The study is a visit usually by someone helpful that looks at your needs and what could help you. I felt the same way but the lady they sent was very helpful and because of her I got some good stuff.

They come with a pretty positive attitude and try to write up something you need and or want as long as it fits in their guidelines. My visit got me a real nice tempurpedic bed that I could not afford and I also got shower put in and tub taken out.

Good Luck

I talked to my voc rehab counselor today, she told me that she wasn't aware that they are not coming out to the home anymore. She indicated that they used to contract out for the study, but now they have to use the va resources so that is why got the appointment at the polytrauma center. She went on to say without their input she couldn't do anything, she also said she would call me if she finds out anything new. So she has requested the appointment again. I told her I did not need or want any remodeling , I also told her I wasn't going to wit two years again and not get anything, She immediately said, she would do what she could, but that it really wasn't up to her... I really feel some cold cold steel coming my way,,, but lets wait and see...

#19 Bonzai

Bonzai

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:44 PM

I met with the Voc Rehab Counselor (VRC) last week, and she flat out told me that ILP would only help with items that were recommended by Occupational Therapy, and that I needed to get an appointment with my PCP to get a referral to OT. In my brief 20 minute meeting with her, she said that she determined that my conditions are 'stable' and there was really nothing ILP could do for me. So I gave her a copy of VAOPGCPREC 34-97:

In a precedent opinion, VAOPGCPREC 34-97, the VA Office of the General Counsel was presented with the question of whether 38 U.S.C.A. 3104(b) or any other statute or regulation either requires or precludes the VA from assisting a claimant in purchasing a computer and related materials for recreational activities. The opinion indicates that one of the express purposes of the Chapter 31 vocational rehabilitation program is to "provide for all services and assistance necessary to enable veterans with service-connected disabilities to achieve maximum independence in daily living . . . ." VAOPGCPREC 34-97, at 2, [citing 38 U.S.C.A. 3100]. The term "independence in daily living" means "the ability to a veteran, without the services of others or with a reduced level of the services of others, to live and function within such veteran's family and community."
Id. at 2, [citing 38 U.S.C.A. 3101(2)].

In short, the General Counsel held that the VA was not barred by law from rendering services or assistance that could be used for recreational activities. The test is whether the service may further the ability of the particular service member to become independent. VAOPGCPREC 34-97.

and she blew it off by changing the subject. I returned her attention to it, and she said that ILP doesn't furnish anything for hobbies, no lawn mowers or fishing boats like some veterans have told her. I let it rest at that. So I asked her what happens after I get the OT appointment done, and she sighed and said she would open a case for me, but she wouldn't approve anything beyond OT items even after a home visit is done. So I left, knowing that I have a battle in front of me.

Since then I have received confirmation that my ILP case is open, I have a referral in for OT (just waiting for a date), and I called the VA's Director of Vocational Rehabilitation Services office (202) 461-9600 and spoken to one of the VRCs there for clarification. I was informed that the VRC was supposed to make the referral to OT themselves, and that VAOPGCPREC 34-97 is NOT to be ignored.

So I will jump through the VRC's hoops, until I get my home visit. Then I am going going to raise Cain if recommended items are not furnished.

#20 Pete53

Pete53

• 21902 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:26 PM

Took me four years and four Voc Reps. One was good the rest not worth the powder to blow up.
But I got more than I thought I could. There favorite tactic is sending you on quests that are not needed

#21 Teac

Teac

• 1158 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:58 PM

I met with the VA Occupation therapist on 8 June.

First he informed me that San Antonio does not do the In home evaluations because of a local directive and the way it was worded, he indicated they haven't done home visits for about three years, but that in the future they should start back. I responded that It would be nice if the damn VA provided the same exact service to all veterans in all areas, he agreed with me but of course he doesn't make the rules.

He told me that I did not need to go thru ILP to receive his services, that all they reqire is a referal from my Pripary care doctor. I am thinking great this is going to be a waste of time.

He told me that all the items I will receive thru him come from the prosthetic department or he will make a request to order some items if he thinks they are necessary to improve my standard of living.

He stated the local va will not give Tempur-Pedic mattress, he indicated the only bed I could get would be a Hospital bed.

He indicated the va does not give lift chairs out anymore, and haven't for a long time, but that if I had a recliner he would provide some kind of base that will raise it up so that I can get out of the chair.

He said he would get for me a dual tens unit and muscle stimulator unit to help manage my back pain.. ( big deal $100 and I got one from tricare )...

He is willing to get me a shower chair, so what it's plastic and wont fit in my 4x4 shower...($50.00)

he is willing to get me some kind of extender so that I can put my sox on, and another one to wipe my butt, when my back is so bad that I cannot twist, again so F**king what... another few dollars....

He is checking into getting me a new phone system to work with my hearing aids.. I asked for this.. but he made no promises..

He is checking on getting me a visual door bell ringer.. I asked for this but again no pronises.

He agrees that with my lung problems I needed a hepa filter, but he will not get a whole house filter system, just one to move from room to room, which I think is a waste...

He will recomend a small riding lawn mower, but he said it will not be provided, said I should just keep paying $100 a month for lawn service..

He refused a front lawn sprinkler system, but stated he would check on a programable robot type sprinkler system .. of course this serves no useful purpose if I still have to roll out on to the lawn to place a sprinkler and hose...

That it folks a big freaken joke.. VA makes me Puke everytime I think about them.

Bottom line, if a veteran doesn't need an ILP program to see this guy.. than it seems I am not getting an ILP..what a waste of time and effort... but then I expected no less

I have to say the counselor was a stand up guy, he respected me, listened to me and tried to offer advise, but overall it was still a waste of my time.....

will wait to speak to the ILP counselor, should be interested to see what she has to say

#22 Pete53

Pete53

• 21902 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:56 PM

The purpose I have for posting what I got is so that other Vets would know what is available to other Veterans. All the things he told you are things that he won't do and if you ask me he is not providing the service that is owed to you and other Veterans in SA. In fact may I go so far to say that he sucks at his job.

Anything you ask for and does not provide is appeal able and should be. The hearing aids for telephones should go through the people who do hearing aids not him. I got tempurpedic bed and I will comment that it has helped me a great deal with many sleep issues.

The prosthetic department can help with grants and that is not a bad thing either. Maybe you should ask your Social Worker at your VA clinic to do an evaluation on what would help you in your home and use it to appeal any lame decisions. Remember when they deny you only have thirty days to appeal.

Good Luck

My Voc Rehab started out on the same tract as yours.

#23 Teac

Teac

• 1158 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:57 PM

Man I can't believe it!

Today a package came from Patterson Medical and in it was a "hip replacement Kit" it consist of a claw to reach items, a shoe horn with long handle, a plastic cradle with rope and foam handles in which to place socks on then pull the sox's up and finally a foam rubber sponge with a long handle ( back sponge). what a bunch of garbage.. and a deal at $34.99.

Along with this was a packing slip that listed the following items to come in seperate shippments:

Bottom budy ( to wipe my ass, how gross) $39.95 wasted
Soapy soles 3 in 1 elite foot washer (for the shower) $14.95 wasted
Deluxe pedal exercise ( hand crank for table top) $230.00 more junk and waste
Stand easy chair lift (4 pieces of plastic to put under my recliner that raise the chiar 2 inches) more junk $49.95
Bariatic shower and commode chair $250.00 and in the trash it will go...
Finally a generic brand room air purifier $375.00 well this will go on ebay but its not for me....

The only thing I asked for here was a hepa filer system for the house....

$994.00 wasted and still no ILP I suspect they think this junk will make me happy, but it just pisses me off.

I think I am going to refuse all but the air purifier, and just say return to sender.. then I am going to let the ILP counselor know that this is not acceptable....

Man I am so angry my glasses have fogged up!.. Damn VA think they can crap all over us..

#24 Pete53

Pete53

• 21902 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:03 AM

Why not take it back to them and say that this does not help.

Good Luck

#25 evandc

evandc

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:37 AM

Thanks, I've added Independent Living Program (ILP) to Ebenefits as things I need to avoid.

#26 Teac

Teac

• 1158 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:01 PM

Why not take it back to them and say that this does not help.

Good Luck

I had a conversation with my counselor yesterday on the phone. She indicated that because of my back injury this is what was recommended, She said unless the OT recommends something I will not get it. This was her sly way of saying I'm not getting anything else... I told her that she needs to stop shipment on the items because I did not ask for these item, they are a waste of money and I will not use them, She said once they are ordered they are mine to do with as I want. I told her that I was going to refuse shipment of all items, and she said do what you want but the Government still has to make payment.... I told her that it was just like the government to waste money on needless things, and to refuse to spend that same money for something useful...... nothing but garbage.. and the fight goes on

#27 Teac

Teac

• 1158 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:51 PM

Today I received some of the items the va purchased. Most of them look like cheap chinese made knock offs.. I check ebay out as well as the distributor that I received the items from for the actual value.. No way of knowing how much the va paid for this junk because they buy in bulk.On ebay the items are dirt cheap. a $185. pedal exercisor sells on ebay for $50. the other stuff sells for $20-$30. Anyway don't want to seem ungrateful but I really hate i when money is wasted on useless junk... I talked to the counselor again today and she told me if I didn't want them to put them in the trash, because the va can't return items. I am sickened by the whole process..... and I am starting to wish I had never asked for the program.

#28 Bonzai

Bonzai

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:41 AM

I met with the Occupational Therapist on Monday, and this morning I received a call from the ILP counselor. She stated that since the OT said that I did not need bars on my bathtub or other necessities to move around with, there was nothing that ILP could do for me. She says that she KNOWS that I have mentioned hobbies in the previous meeting, but they just don't do that per Nashville. She then told me she was closing my case.

I have called Ruth Fanning's office and am awaiting a call back. The Memphis VA ILP Voc-Rehab office seems to think that it can ignore VAOPGCPREC 34-97 completely. This may work with some veterans, but I am willing to fight the VA.

#29 Pete53

Pete53

• 21902 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:29 PM

First they will tell you there is nothing they can do for you. Then they will drag it out. The safety bars are not even their department.

ILP gave me tempurpedic beds and coordinated remodel with HISA Grant for walk in shower. I know that ILP program can do a lot of stuff they won't admit too. I hope that you are talking to someone at a higher level.

Not only that even I can go back later for more if I can show a medical need.

The real idea of ILP is to keep a Veteran in their home and independent.

#30 Teac

Teac

• 1158 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:48 PM

+
I have already received my termination of any action on my claim for ILP. I received the letter today. Basically it states that it was stopped because I was not interested in receiving the items that the Occupational Therapist recommended. In a hand written note it says sorry I couldn't get what you wanted. Of course the first thing she told me is she can't get anything I requested. She didn't even try.

I am going to appeal this decision all the way to the court of veteran appeals if I need to. I am so tired of lazy government employees telling me what they cannot do, instead of what they can do....

#31 Pete53

Pete53

• 21902 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 02:56 PM

Watch your deadlines you only have 30 days to appeal the ILP decision. If it were me I would ask for a hearing just to be double safe.

I don't know for sure but it is possible that your only appeal is straight to BVA. Please double check on deadlines.

#32 Philip Rogers

Philip Rogers

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4001 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:31 PM

Pete53 - can you post where that's from?? I can't see them allowing only 30 days. I believe you have one yr on most VA decisions, until you get to the final decision by the BVA and then the court makes the rules. jmo

pr

Watch your deadlines you only have 30 days to appeal the ILP decision. If it were me I would ask for a hearing just to be double safe.

I don't know for sure but it is possible that your only appeal is straight to BVA. Please double check on deadlines.

#33 Bonzai

Bonzai

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:49 PM

In the decision that I received regarding my claim being closed, the VRC wrote "if I don't hear from you by xx/xx/xx (30 days from date of letter being sent out), your case will be moved to discontinued status". I have ignored this, as I have an email sent to me earlier that same day, granting me an in-home assessment. I didn't wait to get the letter, and contacted Ms. Fanning's office, an a VRC there sent my complaint to Nashville RO, and then *poof* - action on my claim.

I know I am going to have to fight tooth and nail, but that's OK by me.

#34 Philip Rogers

Philip Rogers

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4001 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:02 PM

That's one of their generalized letters that you have one yr to decide but if nothing is heard within 30 days they will make a decision, based on the evidence of record. Claimants rarely realize that evidence submitted after the 30 days requires an additional decision, by the RO, based on the subsequently submitted evidence. I believe what happens is when evidence is submitted around or after the 30 days, the VA just ignores it and not knowing any better the claimants don't pursue the claim. jmo

pr

In the decision that I received regarding my claim being closed, the VRC wrote "if I don't hear from you by xx/xx/xx (30 days from date of letter being sent out), your case will be moved to discontinued status". I have ignored this, as I have an email sent to me earlier that same day, granting me an in-home assessment. I didn't wait to get the letter, and contacted Ms. Fanning's office, an a VRC there sent my complaint to Nashville RO, and then *poof* - action on my claim.

I know I am going to have to fight tooth and nail, but that's OK by me.

#35 Pete53

Pete53

• 21902 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:33 PM

All I can share about the 30 days is my own case when I appealed denial of fee service. I was told that if I did not appeal withinn 30 days it was over. I was also told that if you have a hearing you have to go straight to BVA if turned down or not acceptable and it may or may not have the 30 day rule.

I wish I could post the reg PR but its been awhile and I don't know if I could find it.If anyone on Hadit has the info please post it.

#36 Teac

Teac

• 1158 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:34 PM

Technically my program was placed in a stop status, and unless I do something to refute the decision before 30 days the claim will be closed.

I already wrote and submitted the letter for an administrative review of the record. In the meantime the counselor has called and asked me to come in tomorrow and discuss the issues I have raised. She is well aware of my letter, because I told her about it in email prior to my sending it. During the call she raised the issue of HISA , administrated by Proshetics and the Home Adaptive grant.

I informed her that I don't want to use what litte adaptive grant I have left because when I sell my home next year and downside I will need those funds to modify the new home. I also informed her I used the HISA 7 years ago. She indicated the Hisa grant has been increased since then. Frankly I don't need a ILP to use these programs either, but I know that they are required to cover all bases.

They are using some time tested arguements to deny what I have requested. For example, I have been told the prosthetics department will not issued any type of bed except hospital beds, and that they stopped giving lift chairs 4 years ago.. My answer to them was that the ILP supplies that may be approved are not limited to what prosthetics normally stocks. I told them to get that governemnt credit card out and get me what I asked for.

They also claim that a riding lawn mower will hinder my breathing problems, I indicated the occupational therapist they required me to see isn't qualified to make such an assement. If he actually thinks this then send me to a medical doctor and let them make that assessment.

I asked for a whole house Hepa filter system and they sent me one that is for 700 Sq feet, and told me to move it from room to room. I let her know that he darn thing doesn't have wheels, and that I live in the whole house not just one room, and that such a request to tell me to move it from room to room is unreasonable.

They sent me a shower chair that is wider than my shower and told me because of my weight I was stuck with it,. I told them that they make heavy duty shower chairs that will fit my shower.

They sent me a bottom buddy, ( disgusting to talk about) never asked for it... and a few other trinkets that I never asked for.

I let her know that so far everything I have received is available outside of an ILP through normal medical channesl.. I ask her when she was going to grant something that I can't get except through the program.

She has indicated that she can't give me anything that was nor recommended by the therapist, and that her hands are tied, I sent her copies of VAOPGCPREC 6-2001 and VAOPGCPREC 34-97,thru email and informed her that veterans all over the US are getting Greenhouses, lawnmowers, beds, lift chairs, etc... and that I expect to be receive the same services to include a proper homestudy just like any other veteran.

I think she is a nice, lady, but I think she blows smoke because that is what she has been told to do. It is so easy to deny and discourage veterans but a little work in the veterans favor wouild kill them.

She set the meeting time for tomorrow at 1:00 . I will let you know what happends but I'll be damned if I am holding my breath while I wait to get anything.

#37 Pete53

Pete53

• 21902 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:34 PM

She is not a nice lady she is impeding the help that you should get cause she is afraid her bosses will not like her doing anything to help you out.

The VA is not your friend

#38 Teac

Teac

• 1158 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:07 AM

Ok so 1:00 meeting and 1.5 hours later and nothing but more smoke. Your right Pete , She is not a nice lady, and really cares less or she would do her job correectly.

I did learn a few things like the therapist claimed to have examined me, and indicated I could bend the at the waist and touch the floor with the palm of my hand, I could walk up a down a step stool, I could twist at the waist.. and the lies go on and on... She allowed me to write a statement indicating that he was a liar.

She indicated once again that her hands were tied to what he said I needed. I again told her, that was fine except that I did not receive a true home evaluation and therefor in my opinion what he stated is worth anything. I explained had he come to my home he would see things that trigger qustions, like why are my doors torn up? The answer: because they are not wide enough for my chair. Or; how do I get out to the back yard since there are two steps to the ground? the answer: I go around the house from the front door. She agreed that coming to the house would triger questions but again stated her hands are tied.

I told her that the items that I have received(Hepa filter system ) is indaquate, and she said that unless he recommends a wholehouse filter I am out of luck... I indicated that the combined tens/stimulation unit I received yesterday is used, and that it came without electorid patches, She is going to check into that.

All in all it was a waste of time . She did acknowledge that at one time they were encouraged to get veterans anything, but since Obama took office they have been instructed to limit items to actual independant living needs, no hobbies, beds, chairs and only items from prosthetics unless they were small items and were not carried by prosthetics,.

She indicated if my doctor wrote a statement indicating I could use a riding mower, or needed a special bed, only then would she try to get them, but indicated she stilt doubted I would get the mower.

Finally , as I was leaving she told me she is being transfered to Fort Sam to help the new wounded warrior veterans. She indicated if my program was not complete when she moves, that I will be assigned another counselor....

So even if my request for review was premature, it is done, and they will have to respond to it once she closes my case.

Bottom line San Antonio area is screwing veterans in this program... and I for one have been screwed so many times, that I am not taking it any more.. so the fight continues and if I lose a battle no problem.. its the war I plan on winning......

#39 carlie

carlie

Moderator/Admin/HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Admin
  • 22282 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:24 AM

Teac,
Have you ever contacted this group?
http://www.militarym...wsletter_v1.pdf

#40 Bonzai

Bonzai

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:18 AM

...All in all it was a waste of time . She did acknowledge that at one time they were encouraged to get veterans anything, but since Obama took office they have been instructed to limit items to actual independant living needs, no hobbies, beds, chairs and only items from prosthetics unless they were small items and were not carried by prosthetics,..

Interesting, since I am running into the same thing through my VRC at the Memphis Voc-Rehab ILP. I had to fight for in-home assessment coming up on July 5th, as the VRC was trying to close my case without one. I am in the process of writing down the barriers that 'need' to be address to help me live more independently - after all, isn't that what the program is for?