Photo

Military Sexual Trauma Counseling From Va

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Tbird

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com established 1997

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:25 PM

http://www.vetcenter...xual_Trauma.asp

#2 hedgey

hedgey

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:30 PM

Tbird, if you think what I'm about to say is unhelpful, please delete it and please don't be mad at me.

I just feel compelled to say that my experience with the local Vet Center was very negative, and that I've heard different people at the VA clinic that other people have been very turned off by them.

Hopefully, all the other Vet Centers are great, but this one isn't. I felt like I was in a ol' boy's club whenever I was there and they actually lied to me about their policies (they claimed at first to only service combat veterans, whether there was MST or not). That was almost enough to send me straight back out the door, but my husband argued with them until someone admitted they treated "just" MST vets. They have no female counselors in the office, but they have one on staff who is always out in the mobile Vet Center and doesn't see people in the office.

One other woman who went over there told me the fellow who was 'at the desk' challenged her as to her eligibility for services ("are you even a vet?"). She walked out. She was anxious about being there to begin with, and the guy's attitude was macho and dismissive. Not what she needed. Last time I saw her she still hasn't called anyone else.

When I finally quit going amid hysterical tears and my husband in a rage over the way they were treating me, on of their former employees advised me to complain to their HQ. I called and filed a complaint, but I don't believe much happened.

*** IMPORTANT!*** I'm telling this NOT because I want anyone to avoid their Vet Center. I telling this because when it happened to me, I thought it was all my fault. I'd heard so many great things about Vet Centers that I was sure it was something wrong with me. Talking to other VA personnel, I've learned that there's been many unhappy customers, especially PTSD patients who need a gentle hand.

So my point is...call the Vet Center where you are. If they don't treat you with total respect and kindness, it's Them not YOU. See what I'm trying to say? If the Vet Center doesn't feel comfortable and safe, call the other services instead. There will be someone who can help you.

It's like every office in the VA. They're all meant to be there to help us, but some of them just seem to get the wrong idea of what the definition of 'help' is.

Like I said at the beginning... I'd heard and read lots of good things about Vet Centers, so I'd bet most by far are great places to get help.

#3 mysticcherokee usn vet

mysticcherokee usn vet

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:45 PM

Hedgey, Ive been to some bad ones too. As a matter of fact my local. Luck o the draw.

That said! If its a matter of food on my table, or rent/mortage paid, so i can put gas in the car, Id send Hubby down there:)
However the people down at Welfare are probably not so nice and dont pay half as much as a good veteran org.

Its 6 of one half dozen of the other. I hear you, and you'd think they'd be differnt with people woman or man that might just turn around and snap there head off to the root being ptsd, but LIKE YOU SAID, its a reflection of them not anybody else. i just think thyre ignorant, reckless to risk a head snappin. Thats all Im sayin on it:) Mystic

#4 Tbird

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com established 1997

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:21 PM

It really does depend on the Veterans Center, mine has been a God send, truly. Not just my therapist but several folks at the Vet Center always make me feel welcome. I am really sorry to hear these stories, I would still encourage veterans to check out their local Vet Centers and see if it works for them.

http://www.vetcenter.va.gov/index.asp

Veterans Center ELIGIBILITY: War Zone Veteran - all eras, including...

Posted Image

WORLD WAR II - Three eligible categories - European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign-Medal (7 Dec. 1941 to 8 Nov. 1945), Asiatic - Pacific Campaign Medal (7 Dec. 1941 to 2 Mar. 1946), or American Campaign Medal (7 Dec. 1941 to 2 Mar. 1946)
AMERICAN MERCHANT MARINES – In oceangoing service during the period of armed conflict, 7 Dec. 1941 to 15 Aug. 1945
KOREAN WAR - 27 June 1950 to - 27 July 1954 (eligible for the Korean Service Medal)
VIETNAM WAR - 28 Feb. 1961 to 7 May 1975
LEBANON - 25 Aug. 1982 to 26 Feb. 1984
GRENADA - 23 Oct. 1983 to 21 Nov. 1983
PANAMA - 20 Dec. 1989 to 31 Jan. 1990
PERSIAN GULF - 2 Aug. 1990 to
SOMALIA - 17 Sept. 1992 to
BOSNIA - 21 Nov. 1995 to 01 Nov. 2007
KOSOVO - 24 Mar. 1999 to
OPERATION ENDURING FREEDOM-7 Oct. 2001 to
OPERATION IRAQI FREEDOM - 19 Mar. 2003 to 17 Feb. 2010
OPERATION NEW DAWN - 17 Feb. 2010 to
OPERATION JOINT ENDEAVOR, OPERATION JOINT GUARD, & OPERATION JOINT FORGE - Veterans who participated in one or more of the three successive operations in the former Yugoslavia (Bosnia-Herzegovina and Croatia, aboard U.S. Naval vessels operating in the Adriatic Sea, or air spaces above those areas).
Veterans who served or have served in Kosovo either in its waters or airspace after March 24, 1999, and before a terminal date yet to be established.
GLOBAL WAR ON TERRORISM - Veterans who serve or have served in military expeditions to combat terrorism on or after September 11, 2001 and before a terminal date yet to be established.
Includes OPERATION ENDURING FREEDOM, OPERATION IRAQI FREEDOM & OPERATION NEW DAWN.
SEXUAL TRAUMA AND HARASSMENT COUNSELING - veterans of both sexes, all eras Vet Center services include individual readjustment counseling, referral for benefits assistance, group readjustment counseling, liaison with community agencies, marital and family counseling, substance abuse information and referral, job counseling and placement, sexual trauma counseling, and community education.
BEREAVEMENT COUNSELING - Bereavement counseling is offered to parents, siblings, spouses and children of Armed Forces personnel who die in the service to our country. Also eligible are family members of Reservists and National Guardsmen who die while on federally activated duty.

#5 carlie

carlie

Moderator/Admin/HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21894 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:27 PM

ANYONE having difficulties at ANY VET CENTER - I suggest you request to see
the TEAM LEADER, don't putz around with crap - SEE THE TEAM LEADER to get what you need.

JMHO

#6 Jaina Bledsoe

Jaina Bledsoe

E-3 Seaman

• Third Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:29 PM

Hedgey I am sorry to hear your experience was negative. They do indeed limit their services, but anyone working the desk should have known MST overrides the "periods of service / combat duty" directive.

My Vet center has actually been a lot more helpful than the VA. At the VA I get Borderline Personality Disorder treatment shoved down my throat. At the Vet Center I get validation and discover I am not alone in my symptoms, experience with the VAMC or VARO, etc. At the Vet Center my PTSD is addressed, not converted into some sort of supporting evidence for BPD.

#7 carlie

carlie

Moderator/Admin/HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Admin
  • 21894 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:37 PM

In the experiences I know of - the peeps working the front desks at
the Vet Centers are USUALLY volunteers from school programs, like
community colleges.

Again - ANY PROBLEM AT ALL - AT ANY VET CENTER - - -
don't waste time with other workers there - ask to speak with the TEAM LEADER.
JMHO

#8 11cvolley

11cvolley

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:18 PM

I go to the VA hospital for MST/PTSD treatment and ever since I got awarded 70% for PTSD I feel like I have dropped off their list. I know my treatment has came to a stand still because I am not ready but why does it feel like they cut communication with me after I won my case?

#9 dzvetlawyers

dzvetlawyers

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:52 AM

Hey Hedgey,

I too am sorry to hear about your Vet Center experience. I often refer Veterans to Vet Centers for treatment and help with MST. One big reason is that on the whole they do a much better job than VAMCs in providing counseling services, etc. And so I often consider them to be a bright spot in an otherwise broken system. It's so frustrating to hear that your Center hasn't met the relatively higher bar set by other VCs. I think the bottom line is that for all VA services: health care, service connected compensation, pension, etc. the people on the ground make the biggest difference. I like your suggestion: "If they don't treat you with total respect and kindness, it's Them not YOU." I couldn't agree more. I'll try recommending a few different options for Veterans who call me in the future.

David

Veterans Outreach Coordinator
Bergmann & Moore, LLC

#10 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 22151 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:21 AM

You know most of the nation does not even know there is a MST problem in US military.