meghp0405

E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officer

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 100
  • Branch of Service: Army

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:25 PM

I have completed over 400 fully developed claims this past year. All have been adjuicated with 90 days. The only exception is those military members that are retiring that have been awarded 50% or greater. Their claims are taking approx. 30 days longer because, DFAS has to compute the pay.
  • JewBacha likes this

#3 Veldrina

Veldrina

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• First Class Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: none
  • Branch of Service: Dept. of VA

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:56 PM

Hey all, sorry for the long absence, been working 2.5 jobs.  

Anyway, we just had a team meeting & I heard something that is going to make life interesting re claims.   The VA judges have ruled that in addition to the change of all claims being put on the Form 526 EZ (whether it's FDC or not), that if a veteran does not SPELL OUT that claimed conditions are due to service, they can be denied.  In other words, say you claim a back condition.  Your service records indicate you had some treatment for you back, & you were in service about 10 yrs or more ago.  You put down "back problems" on the form, nothing else.  You do not submit medical evidence, or u might have some VA Med. Ctr treatment but neither the doc nor u ever said it was due to service.  If there is nowhere in those records or ON THE CLAIMS FORM that you have had back problems SINCE SERVICE, we do not order an exam for u & it can be denied. 

If you are filing a new claim, PLEASE write in there somewhere that your condition is since service...those 2 little magic words may mean the difference between getting service connected or not!

#4 Berta

Berta

HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• SVR
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28472 posts
  • Interests:tactical warfare student- AMU
    gardening
    fishing
    Oriental home design
    organic cleaning tips
    Capt Adoph Von Shell-interested in any info at all!
    German Commander (WWI)lectured to the US Army after the war on warfare-- PTSD - tactics etc-and Leadership
    The Pullers-Chesty and Lewis (USMC)
    chocolate brownies
    anything at all regarding Vietnam
    the failure of the Maginot Line (WWII)
    Trench warfare
    anything amphibious

Led Zepplin, Bob Dylan, Sting, Al Green, Mozart, Classical guitar,Moog synthesizer, Eminem,Janis Joplin,
    Michael Jackson, Teddy Pendergast, Mongo Santamaria,
    Cal Tjader, Miles Davis, AmerIndian battle chants,
    Hendrix,etc etc etc
    Pho and nuc mam dinners
  • Service Connected Disability: widow of 2 vets, 2 HD each and mother of USAF vet-my daughter

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:38 PM

Veldrina- good to see you here again!

Your point is well taken!

I hope that doesn't happen often but it sure pays to tell the VA that the claim is for a disability that is due to one's service.

Particularly "back problems:' or  heart problems' , stomach problems, etc ....it is .not a good idea for using a  generic way of describing a diagnosed disability.

Good info . Technically if one does Not specifically claim something is due to their service, it makes sense to me that VA would not order a C & P exam at all.

And  I feel it sure doesn't hurt to state that the disability claimed is due to say ' my inservice jeep accident of (date) at  ----Air Base, or my inservice exposure to acoustical trauma, as a gunner,  or when describing the MOS that caused the disability ,it pays to spell out what the MOS entailed. Right away...why wait.

Then again, is there enough room on the Form 526 EZ to be specific and/or to refer the VA to additional Remarks?

Glad you are back briefly but we know how hard you work!!!!!

#5 Veldrina

Veldrina

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:19 AM

Good to "see" u too Berta!  :) 

While yes, it makes sense that they shouldn't order an exam if one doesn't say it's due to service, in the past it's been assumed.  Now you actually have to spell it out....I see a lot bad juju coming the VA's way for this just for 2 little words, so PLEASE everyone just write them in. 

There should be space right in the area where you list what you're claiming on the EZ form to just add it (i.e. "back condition SINCE SERVICE, residuals of sprained ankle IN SERVICE, hypertension due to high blood pressure readings FROM SERVICE, GERD - continuation of vomiting and abdominal pains FROM SERVICE, etc.)  

#6 Notorious Kelly

Notorious Kelly

• 1088 posts
  • Branch of Service: USAF

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:29 AM

Good point and glad to see ya, Veldrina.

Don't work yourself to death and enjoy one of them big turkey legs for me! smile.png

#7 meghp0405

meghp0405

• 872 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:10 PM

Veldrina,

I took your advice and started placing those 2 words on the 21-526ez. The higher ups are saying that it doesn't need to be there. "They already know that" is what I have been told.

So now, I explain to the veteran about this and leave it up to them if they want it in their claim or not. Each vet that I have filed a claim for since I was told not to do this, have expressed desire to place those two words. After all, it's the veteran's claim.

Haven't received any flack since then.

Thanks for your advice, anything that helps a veteran with a claim is always, most appreciated!

#8 truck905

truck905

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 40%
  • Branch of Service: USA

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:42 AM

Anyway, we just had a team meeting & I heard something that is going to make life interesting re claims.   The VA judges have ruled that in addition to the change of all claims being put on the Form 526 EZ (whether it's FDC or not), that if a veteran does not SPELL OUT that claimed conditions are due to service, they can be denied.  In other words, say you claim a back condition.  Your service records indicate you had some treatment for you back, & you were in service about 10 yrs or more ago.  You put down "back problems" on the form, nothing else.  You do not submit medical evidence, or u might have some VA Med. Ctr treatment but neither the doc nor u ever said it was due to service.  If there is nowhere in those records or ON THE CLAIMS FORM that you have had back problems SINCE SERVICE, we do not order an exam for u & it can be denied. 

If you are filing a new claim, PLEASE write in there somewhere that your condition is since service...those 2 little magic words may mean the difference between getting service connected or not!

I'm new to the site and just read ur posting and you got me thinking. I just submitted to reopen a claim for Obstructive Sleep Apnea (secondary to hypertension 0%)Asthma(increase from 30%)Obstructive Sleep Apnea (secondary to headaches, chest pains, and depression) and a new claim for prostate cancer. I collected letters from 3 guys I was stationed with stating they heard me snoring,had to wake me and gaging very bad when I slept, I think the statements were pretty strong statements concerning symptoms of sleep apnea, a letter from my wife of 12 years and a old girlfriend while stationed in KY who I dated while in the military and after service.I Also had sleep study done last month that was rated severe (5 normal 30 severe) I was rated 79, stop breathing 114 times with the longest period of not breathing 47 seconds. One of the Recommendations was not to operate heavy or commercial equipment. I sent in regulations from Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (Dept of Trans) showing them because of the OSA and asthma I cant legally operate a semi truck, which I owned and operated as self employed under my own company. (Unemployable) I applied for OSA back in 02, 04 and again in 12. I failed to mention I'm also a (K) sexual dysfunction. I've been driving since 1995 and seems life is coming to a halt..... What's ur best guess?

#9 meghp0405

meghp0405

• 872 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:38 PM

truck905,

it is my opinion that you will need a strong nexus letter from a Doctor to validate your claim for OSA secondary to hypertension rated at 0%. Although you have been diagnosed with hypertension, a 0% is not severe enough for a diagnosis for OSA. This is my opinion, and my opinion only! I also, do not believe that the letters will suffice from those that were stationed with you. They indeed mentioned symptoms that you experienced, but I have seen too many sleep apnea claims denied because the supporting statements were from individuals that were not with a medical background so the VA disqualified the lay statements.

I'm not sure what your rating of 79 is? There is only one rating for OSA and the % for this is 50%. If you have OSA and you do not need a machine, the rating is 30% and is called hypersolomence. The flow of the oxygen for your machine can be set at different levels and that is set pertaining to the results of your testing.

I would obtain a pulmonary doctor or perhaps a neurologist and see what they have to say. If they agree with your claim, have them write an IMO for you. You are going to need someone with a professional background. 

I do hope the best for you, and please let us know upon your results!

#10 truck905

truck905

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 40%

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:10 PM

truck905,

it is my opinion that you will need a strong nexus letter from a Doctor to validate your claim for OSA secondary to hypertension rated at 0%. Although you have been diagnosed with hypertension, a 0% is not severe enough for a diagnosis for OSA. This is my opinion, and my opinion only! I also, do not believe that the letters will suffice from those that were stationed with you. They indeed mentioned symptoms that you experienced, but I have seen too many sleep apnea claims denied because the supporting statements were from individuals that were not with a medical background so the VA disqualified the lay statements.

I'm not sure what your rating of 79 is? There is only one rating for OSA and the % for this is 50%. If you have OSA and you do not need a machine, the rating is 30% and is called hypersolomence. The flow of the oxygen for your machine can be set at different levels and that is set pertaining to the results of your testing.

I would obtain a pulmonary doctor or perhaps a neurologist and see what they have to say. If they agree with your claim, have them write an IMO for you. You are going to need someone with a professional background. 

I do hope the best for you, and please let us know upon your results!

Thanks for your reply! the 79 represents the scale base of my sleep apnea. The Dr. stated that it's based on a scale from 5 to 30 with 5 being normal and 30 severe, I was rated 79. I will keep you updated on all information received. Thank you again..

#11 carlie

carlie

Moderator/Admin/HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Admin
  • 21929 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy researching and debate of claims for
    Clear and Unmistakable Error (C&UE).
  • Service Connected Disability: 100+

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:44 AM

I'm new to the site and just read ur posting and you got me thinking. I just submitted to reopen a claim for Obstructive Sleep Apnea (secondary to hypertension 0%)Asthma(increase from 30%)Obstructive Sleep Apnea (secondary to headaches, chest pains, and depression) and a new claim for prostate cancer. I collected letters from 3 guys I was stationed with stating they heard me snoring,had to wake me and gaging very bad when I slept, I think the statements were pretty strong statements concerning symptoms of sleep apnea, a letter from my wife of 12 years and a old girlfriend while stationed in KY who I dated while in the military and after service.I Also had sleep study done last month that was rated severe (5 normal 30 severe) I was rated 79, stop breathing 114 times with the longest period of not breathing 47 seconds. One of the Recommendations was not to operate heavy or commercial equipment. I sent in regulations from Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (Dept of Trans) showing them because of the OSA and asthma I cant legally operate a semi truck, which I owned and operated as self employed under my own company. (Unemployable) I applied for OSA back in 02, 04 and again in 12. I failed to mention I'm also a (K) sexual dysfunction. I've been driving since 1995 and seems life is coming to a halt..... What's ur best guess?

truck,

Please start a new topic when you have a question and put it under the forum it would go with.

Thanks

#12 Veldrina

Veldrina

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:56 PM

megh did a good job answering truck...i cant add much without seeing the fact pattern, but we dont rate except in whole #s, & like megh said the 5% causing hypersomnolence & issues with work & requiring CPAP machine is the highest sleep apnea goes.  As long as sleep apnea shows it began in service (records should show complaints or treatment or at least symptoms) then u should be good.  I have never heard of apnea being secondary to headaches, chest pains, depression or hypertension, so if u claimed it like that it will most likely be denied as secondary to any of them.  

sorry if continuing here carlie, just hard for me to look all over the forums for stuff.  i shut up now! 

#13 bhoward422

bhoward422

E-4 Petty Officer 3rd Class

• Second Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:82nd Airborne Artillery Ft. Bragg N.C. All The Way!
  • Service Connected Disability: 10%
  • Branch of Service: usa

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:46 PM

Hello Veldrina Please keep us inform your help and info is very,very helpful we need someone on the inside looking out for vets. I know I appreciate it very much, my question is do you work directly with the judges or a local VA.

#14 carlie

carlie

Moderator/Admin/HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Admin
  • 21929 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy researching and debate of claims for
    Clear and Unmistakable Error (C&UE).
  • Service Connected Disability: 100+

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:44 PM

Hello Veldrina Please keep us inform your help and info is very,very helpful we need someone on the inside looking out for vets. I know I appreciate it very much, my question is do you work directly with the judges or a local VA.

Veldrina just pops in once in a while right now.

For privacy /security /anonymity  reasons, she might not answer this question.

#15 bhoward422

bhoward422

• PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:03 PM

You need to continue here on Hadit because you info is magical appreciate it very much keep up the good work.

#16 bhoward422

bhoward422

• PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:34 PM

Good to "see" u too Berta!  :) 

While yes, it makes sense that they shouldn't order an exam if one doesn't say it's due to service, in the past it's been assumed.  Now you actually have to spell it out....I see a lot bad juju coming the VA's way for this just for 2 little words, so PLEASE everyone just write them in. 

There should be space right in the area where you list what you're claiming on the EZ form to just add it (i.e. "back condition SINCE SERVICE, residuals of sprained ankle IN SERVICE, hypertension due to high blood pressure readings FROM SERVICE, GERD - continuation of vomiting and abdominal pains FROM SERVICE, etc.)  

are you taking request in the future, filling out this form.

#17 bhoward422

bhoward422

• PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:47 PM

Veldrina just pops in once in a while right now.

For privacy /security /anonymity  reasons, she might not answer this question.

Understood

#18 Veldrina

Veldrina

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:13 PM

hey guys!   BTW if u ever need me immediately for something, Carlie knows how to get in touch with me.  Re judges, no.  I work in NY for the benefits office (not hospital) as a rater (u know, the guys who look at eerything when it's fully developed, go over medical stuff & determine what's service connected & what isn't & give u an evaluation).  ;)  I am in no means an expert on anything, & HadIt itself actually has a lot more info about the job than i do, so definitely use the resources on here, it's more or less the same charts, scales, etc we use...sometimes better!

#19 Motherof3

Motherof3

• PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 100%
  • Branch of Service: ARMY

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:54 PM

Why doesn't the C&P Examiner, Individual making Rating Recommendation have the ability to "Flag" a claims file when their recommendation is for 100% and/or IU? This would be another way to move claims along and prevent/help backlog. Current claims are slowly moving into backlog status (I.e. 180 days). Depending on whose claim date you go by.

#20 Veldrina

Veldrina

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:42 PM

The C&P Examiner is not allowed to say something is service-connected, as that's a legal call, just as we the raters are not allowed to make medical judgments as that's the doctor';s call.  (i.e., even though i know there is no way in hell that your plantar warts are secondary to your service connected migraines, if you claim that I have to put in an exam for the warts becuz I can't make a medical determination, no matter how obvious...same thing with the docs).  

#21 Motherof3

Motherof3

• PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Branch of Service: ARMY

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:17 PM

Thanks for your response. Funny example. Thanks for all you do and taking the time to assist us in this forum.

#22 Veldrina

Veldrina

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:08 AM

thank YOU and everyone else here for their service!

#23 bluevet

bluevet

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 0%
  • Branch of Service: army

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:14 AM

This is the most ridiculous thing that I've heard so far and if it is true, someone should go to jail! You can not disregard a veterans claim because they do nott put the words service connected on their condition. The entire application is for "Service Connected Disabilities", anyone attempting to deny that all conditions listed are intended to be claimed as service connected is acting in bad faith and should at the very ;east be fired and publicly shamed!!

#24 Veldrina

Veldrina

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:16 PM

i agree....the "jeenuses" in congress keep coming up with more fun things like this....PLS VOTE THEM ALL OUT!!!!  The biggest threat to your VA benefits is not the VA, it's the idiots in Congress that keep changing the rules on us!

#25 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 22162 posts
  • Interests:VA law and history of the Blues

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:14 PM

I think I did a FDC here recently. I asked for an increase for DMII. I meet requirements for 20% because VA started me on oral medications. I got paperwork from Jax. Fl instead of St. Pete.  It was a page telling me what I needed and another page asking about evidence. All my evidence is at the VA. It is no big deal since no extra money but I want an increase.

#26 Veldrina

Veldrina

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:38 PM

for an increase in DMII you either need other complications caused by DMII or regulation of activities...and for regulation of activities, it needs to be a doctor restricting strenuous activity.

#27 saints13

saints13

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 40
  • Branch of Service: navy/marines

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:20 PM

since service...those 2 little magic words. Does this include when your requesting an upgrade or a secondary condition? In my case I have 40% bilateral Chronic, Recurrent bilateral patellar laxity, subluxation, lateral instability, severe re-occurring patella dislocations. But now my lower back has been killing me due to abnormal gait. (Physical Therapist said this maybe the cause.) Everyone has been telling me to also put in for PTSD but I'm afraid to talk about my past and seem like an idiot. Also have Left hand medial nerve from when my knee gave out and shot a 3 inch nail into my hand with a nail gun by accident. Even the ER has never seen such a thing. VA told me to ask for my hand to be secondary to my fall.

#28 BIGGIEWAGZ

BIGGIEWAGZ

E-3 Seaman

• New User Review
  • PipPipPip
  • 5 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 80%
  • Branch of Service: USMC

Posted 18 January 2014 - 05:31 PM

Hello all,

I am having a hard time finding out what is going on with my Unemployability claim. I filed it back in June of 2013, and at that time I was told 90 days Needless to say it has been longer than 90 days. I wrote my local congressman and the put it under congressional review for financial hardship seriously I am close to getting utilities shut off every month. I am also trying to move back to Chicago where I have a support structure in place for me and my kids have their natural support structure. (yes there is a whole sob story but I won't go into it) long story short I thought I had submitted a FDC but I found out it wasn't. It seems that the VA is ignoring the Congressman and I need to know what I can do to expidite this claim. Any advice and help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

#29 Veldrina

Veldrina

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:38 PM

Biggie, I am PMing u.

• Ryder7287 likes this

#30 stanval

stanval

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 50%

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:00 PM

All I need help. On May 8, 2014 my husband was rated 100% PTSD. I am waiting on the BBE. It was effective same day no retro pay. We will appeal. Your thoughts? He is also a Vietnam Vet I filed an informal claim. Just sent in a typed letter identifying prostate cancer where records can be found, docs name and claim #. That occurred 3/13. I received word through DAV that they sent her a letter of acknowledgement but did not send us anything. One year will be up 5/28/14. I do not want to lose any retro. At the time we were represented by Vietnam Veterans of America for PTSD appeal. I did not know we could not have two POAs. Question: do I need to complete a FDCF? Also he had a kidney removed- how should I handle that? The lady with VVA is very nice but not helpful. She told me to complete form 21-526, but I do not have a good feeling. Please help. God Bless and thanks for your service.

#31 Ryder7287

Ryder7287

E-2 Recruit

• Seaman
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:10 AM

Hey everyone, I could use some help. I was recently increased to a 100% April 20th. The letter is stating it took effect on jul of 2013. On the same day as my decision packet I received another letter stating I need to fill out a 21-8951-2 stating I need to report my drill days for fiscal year 2012. My last 2 years in the army was with the guard. But I wasn't drilling in 2012. Will I not receive my retro pay until this is resolved? I call the 1800 number but they don't tell me anything. They don't even know the answer. Can somebody please help me out!

#32 Veldrina

Veldrina

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:14 PM

since service...those 2 little magic words. Does this include when your requesting an upgrade or a secondary condition? In my case I have 40% bilateral Chronic, Recurrent bilateral patellar laxity, subluxation, lateral instability, severe re-occurring patella dislocations. But now my lower back has been killing me due to abnormal gait. (Physical Therapist said this maybe the cause.) Everyone has been telling me to also put in for PTSD but I'm afraid to talk about my past and seem like an idiot. Also have Left hand medial nerve from when my knee gave out and shot a 3 inch nail into my hand with a nail gun by accident. Even the ER has never seen such a thing. VA told me to ask for my hand to be secondary to my fall.

No, it does not include secondary.  For secondary conditions it just has to be shown that your s/c disability is causing the 2nd one. ie your left knee is secondary to right since you overcomepnsate with it.  As long as doc links it ur good.  Changes in gait have been known to cause back issues so i would def. put in for that I'm not too sure about the left hand medial nerve ...even though it was caused by a fall due to ur knee, the nail gun is an outside factor.  I say try it, since it's not a definitive No until u try & get told no.  As for the PTSD, I know it's difficult to talk about ur experiences, but just remember the mental health docs are specific to VA issues & won't be asking u things like 'does this have to do with ur mom' or anything....they have a better understanding of folks have gone through, & if nothing else, it might be good to unload.  Rooting for ya!

#33 Veldrina

Veldrina

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:18 PM

All I need help. On May 8, 2014 my husband was rated 100% PTSD. I am waiting on the BBE. It was effective same day no retro pay. We will appeal. Your thoughts? He is also a Vietnam Vet I filed an informal claim. Just sent in a typed letter identifying prostate cancer where records can be found, docs name and claim #. That occurred 3/13. I received word through DAV that they sent her a letter of acknowledgement but did not send us anything. One year will be up 5/28/14. I do not want to lose any retro. At the time we were represented by Vietnam Veterans of America for PTSD appeal. I did not know we could not have two POAs. Question: do I need to complete a FDCF? Also he had a kidney removed- how should I handle that? The lady with VVA is very nice but not helpful. She told me to complete form 21-526, but I do not have a good feeling. Please help. God Bless and thanks for your service.

Even working for VA I still have no clue what some acronyms are....BBE?  I would probably get a better idea if I could see the claim, but if u feel the effective date should be earlier, u need to submit evidence showing 1st diagnosis for PTSD.  Hubby is Vietnam vet....was he boots-on-the-ground? (in-cou8ntry service)?  if so, does he have diabetes or other comlications of Agent Orange exposure?  Re kidney, when was this & what was the previous condition before it was removed?  It COULD be related to Agent Orange as well.  If u like, PM me & let me know.  

• stanval likes this

#34 Veldrina

Veldrina

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:20 PM

Ryder, I PM'd u before seeing this, but if u didn't drill then a letter should be enuff.  If worse comes to worst, maybe a letter from the reserves indicating u did not partake in any drills for that year.

#35 Veldrina

Veldrina

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:26 PM

7913Diabetes mellitus

Requiring more than one daily injection of insulin, restricted diet, and regulation of activities (avoidance of strenuous occupational and recreational activities) with episodes of ketoacidosis or hypoglycemic reactions requiring at least three hospitalizations per year or weekly visits to a diabetic care provider, plus either progressive loss of weight and strength or complications that would be compensable if separately evaluated

Requiring insulin, restricted diet, and regulation of activities with episodes of ketoacidosis or hypoglycemic reactions requiring one or two hospitalizations per year or twice a month visits to a diabetic care provider, plus complications that would not be compensable if separately evaluated

Requiring insulin, restricted diet, and regulation of activities

Requiring insulin and restricted diet, or; oral hypoglycemic agent and restricted diet

Manageable by restricted diet only

10 Note (1): Evaluate compensable complications of diabetes separately unless they are part of the criteria used to support a 100 percent evaluation. Noncompensable complications are considered part of the diabetic process under diagnostic code 7913.   Note (2): When diabetes mellitus has been conclusively diagnosed, do not request a glucose tolerance test solely for rating purposes.

#36 Veldrina

Veldrina

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:28 PM

I think I did a FDC here recently. I asked for an increase for DMII. I meet requirements for 20% because VA started me on oral medications. I got paperwork from Jax. Fl instead of St. Pete.  It was a page telling me what I needed and another page asking about evidence. All my evidence is at the VA. It is no big deal since no extra money but I want an increase.

John, I quoted the ratings schedule for diabetes above to show u how we rate.  The fact that u r on oral injections or might require insulin more than once a day has no bearing on the 20%.  The only way to bump it up is if u are specifically told by a doc that u must avoid strenuous exercise in order to not have a hypoglycemic episode (regulation of activities).  

#37 Commander Bob

Commander Bob

E-9 Master Chief Petty Officer

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1613 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 120%

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:02 PM

Hi Veldrina,

It is so good to hear from youI   Sounds like you have been busy.  I hope you have had some time for your dance, RenFaires, and crafts.  Life is so short and we all need time for merriment!!

Well, I won my BVA case on April 23rd!! "All Benefits granted in full" !!! No remand or anything!! I was wondering how long does it take from the time the BVA win, till The VARO sends me the award letter??  After 6 years, I'm running to the mail box often... nothing from VARO yet  

Any insight you could give would be appreciated,

Best regards,

Cmdr. Bob

• Veldrina likes this

#38 stanval

stanval

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:56 AM

Even working for VA I still have no clue what some acronyms are....BBE?  I would probably get a better idea if I could see the claim, but if u feel the effective date should be earlier, u need to submit evidence showing 1st diagnosis for PTSD.  Hubby is Vietnam vet....was he boots-on-the-ground? (in-cou8ntry service)?  if so, does he have diabetes or other comlications of Agent Orange exposure?  Re kidney, when was this & what was the previous condition before it was removed?  It COULD be related to Agent Orange as well.  If u like, PM me & let me know.  

#39 stanval

stanval

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:57 AM

Thanks for your response. I am waiting on the envelope with results. How do I PM you? Thanks

#40 Veldrina

Veldrina

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 05:52 PM

Stanval:  I think u click on my pic & it should give u option of sending me a priv. msg.  

Bob:  u should receive it within 1-2 mo., any later & i'd start haranguing them.  Re Faires, they cancelled my bellydance show :(  seems there's a casino wanting to buy the property & the faire is streamlining as much as possible,.  Ah well.  It gives me time to pay attention to my knees & the surgery I've been putting off though, so we'll see.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertise Here