Photo

Nehmer Decision

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 ArmyDaughter

ArmyDaughter

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:28 PM

Happy Monday!!

Well, I haven't been on in awhile....crazy at work lately! I did receive my envelope from VA on my dad's Nehmer claim. Everything was denied. Stated when he filed for Ischemic Heart Disease he was given a diagnosis of CHF...not IHD. So....whether he had reason for diagnosis of IHD or not I'm not sure. Have re-requested medical records so hopefully when those come in I can see what I'm dealing with.

Thanks for all the help, will post more when I get medical records and know better what I'm dealing with!

Leah

#2 Berta

Berta

HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Podcast Crew
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29187 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:12 PM

Check this VA link
http://www.publichea...eartdisease.asp

As it states:
“Ischemic heart disease is a common cause of congestive heart failure. People with this condition may at one time have had a heart attack, angina, or unstable angina. A few people may not have noticed any previous symptoms. “

It is quite possible that the CHF is not from ischemia of heart, but VA knows that ,most of the time ,it is.

My Nehmer decision in December was wrong.The rater didnt look into the claim properly and they fixed that a few weeks ago.

I am glad you are obtaining his medical records.

Look for any EKG notations that might reveal possible ischemia or myocardial infarct, as well as any ECHO reports.

#3 ArmyDaughter

ArmyDaughter

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:43 PM

Thanks Berta!

I know when I was little he was hospitalized for a heart attack....but that was like 30 years ago and I'm sure the chances of me finding those medical records are slim to none!! But I am hoping when I get the medical records I can find something they have ignored! Can't believe that if he had a heart attack back then that there was never any other heart disease until CHF diagnosis. I know he was treated at the VA for gangrene in his leg and they hesitated on surgery because of his heart. That tells me an EKG or a lab result said something they didn't like. But....we shall see what the medical records say!

Thanks again!
Leah