Photo

Secondary Condition Ptsd Claim? Almost 6 Years Still Waiting

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 CaravanDan

CaravanDan

E-4 Petty Officer 3rd Class

• Second Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:30 AM

My secondary Claim is for PTSD and other conditions went in in spring 2006,,Buffalo asked years ago for more paper-work ect,,they said they were doing a decision off my Reports WITH-OUT an Exam,,last we heard the file left syracuse VA Hospital last year and went back to buffalo,,,I am left wondering if the claim or Claims as a whole come back rejected how long it will take a an Appeal since its 6 years and running for the claim it-self,,,keep in mind now I'm an other than Honorable discharged Vet with a Service Connected Condition that has me Totally disabled,,Like I have stated in past postings it been a on-going process to try to be compensation,,Things are in the works,,In the mean time they(Buffalo VA) is dragging thier feet with me and my claims,,Thinking about asking local VA clinic if I can get treated while my claim is in the Works for PTSD???? aren't they suppose to??

#2 Philip Rogers

Philip Rogers

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3692 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:28 PM

You don't need to wait for SC to receive treatment for PTSD. Request it now!!!

pr

My secondary Claim is for PTSD and other conditions went in in spring 2006,,Buffalo asked years ago for more paper-work ect,,they said they were doing a decision off my Reports WITH-OUT an Exam,,last we heard the file left syracuse VA Hospital last year and went back to buffalo,,,I am left wondering if the claim or Claims as a whole come back rejected how long it will take a an Appeal since its 6 years and running for the claim it-self,,,keep in mind now I'm an other than Honorable discharged Vet with a Service Connected Condition that has me Totally disabled,,Like I have stated in past postings it been a on-going process to try to be compensation,,Things are in the works,,In the mean time they(Buffalo VA) is dragging thier feet with me and my claims,,Thinking about asking local VA clinic if I can get treated while my claim is in the Works for PTSD???? aren't they suppose to??

#3 CaravanDan

CaravanDan

• PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:51 AM

Okay Mr Rogers,,I will call Tomorrow and see what happens if I will get treatment of not,,last time I called a couple years ago I was Told NO treatment because of my type of Discharge,,,I said I was already service connected with a condition that has me totally disabled and was seen and granted wheelchair,,electric hospital bed and I had claims in for mental and other seconday conditions..Just as a side note I find it amazing how they(VA) nitpicks what i can get and not get,,they say yes I can have my legs braces made their but no clothing allowance,,yes I can have a cheap manual hook-up ramp to a van for my Chair but not a good electric one,,plus a slew of Co-pays they tell me I have to pay for my sevice connected conditions,,I'm sure they will ask too IF I do get treatment for my PTSD,,,

#4 CaravanDan

CaravanDan

• PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:24 AM

Update--Thank you Mr,Rogers,,,,,,,I went to my First PTSD counseling at the VA and she set me up for several more appointments after we spoke...She seemed so open and said the VA is Changing for the better,,, I really don't know what to say other than I'll see how it goes,,session by session..

#5 Philip Rogers

Philip Rogers

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 3692 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:11 AM

CaravanDan - sorry I missed this post when you posted it. The thing to remember is that anything the VA "tells" you could be a lie or just an error. It's easier just to make up something then to look it up, so I suggest, altho it's harder on you, that all claims or questions be written and that they make their answers "written." The saying goes "if it can't be read, it wasn't said!" You should get clothing allowance if it's for a SC condition. Same goes for the wheel chair ramp.

As for the copays, on meds, for SC conditions - if you paid any, you should file a written claim for a refund. You might have problems if you have insurance coverage, tho. They can recover costs but, I believe, aren't supposed to recover for SC conditions.

pr

Okay Mr Rogers,,I will call Tomorrow and see what happens if I will get treatment of not,,last time I called a couple years ago I was Told NO treatment because of my type of Discharge,,,I said I was already service connected with a condition that has me totally disabled and was seen and granted wheelchair,,electric hospital bed and I had claims in for mental and other seconday conditions..Just as a side note I find it amazing how they(VA) nitpicks what i can get and not get,,they say yes I can have my legs braces made their but no clothing allowance,,yes I can have a cheap manual hook-up ramp to a van for my Chair but not a good electric one,,plus a slew of Co-pays they tell me I have to pay for my sevice connected conditions,,I'm sure they will ask too IF I do get treatment for my PTSD,,,

#6 Philip Rogers

Philip Rogers

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 3692 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:13 AM

Glad to hear it. Be sure to file a claim for PTSD, if you haven't already.

pr

Update--Thank you Mr,Rogers,,,,,,,I went to my First PTSD counseling at the VA and she set me up for several more appointments after we spoke...She seemed so open and said the VA is Changing for the better,,, I really don't know what to say other than I'll see how it goes,,session by session..

#7 Philip Rogers

Philip Rogers

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 3692 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:18 AM

Dan - I, now, see your claim has been in 6yrs. Can I find out what the OTH is for?? You may want the VA to do a "character of discharge determination," if they haven't already. Just because you have an OTH doesn't mean you can't/won't get benefits.

pr

#8 CaravanDan

CaravanDan

• PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:46 PM

Mr Rogers, We have requested a "character of discharge determination," I can't remember the form number but it was sent in with a whole list of things that were messed up in my record's,one main one was some-one else;s records in with mine and they used those records against me,oh and a file we just got last year that they kept under wraps for 30 years,,Phycological report that started that I was found unfit mentally at my MEB,,, Kind-a like with my Secondary condition claims,,everything we send in just gets ignored for years. I was told by one advocate its because they know how messed up I am and waiting for my claims to die with me,,
With a OTH I have to pay Co-pays for my service connected Conditions,,No Compensation and No clothing allowance and No travel expenses and No wheelchair ramps on home and NO paid medications. I have some-where in here in a past forum explained my reason for OTH.

#9 Philip Rogers

Philip Rogers

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 3692 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:30 PM

Okay, Dan, I'll check and see if I can find the reason(s), here. Thanks!

pr

Mr Rogers, We have requested a "character of discharge determination," I can't remember the form number but it was sent in with a whole list of things that were messed up in my record's,one main one was some-one else;s records in with mine and they used those records against me,oh and a file we just got last year that they kept under wraps for 30 years,,Phycological report that started that I was found unfit mentally at my MEB,,, Kind-a like with my Secondary condition claims,,everything we send in just gets ignored for years. I was told by one advocate its because they know how messed up I am and waiting for my claims to die with me,,
With a OTH I have to pay Co-pays for my service connected Conditions,,No Compensation and No clothing allowance and No travel expenses and No wheelchair ramps on home and NO paid medications. I have some-where in here in a past forum explained my reason for OTH.

#10 Philip Rogers

Philip Rogers

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 3692 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:44 AM

Okay, Dan, I checked and see it was AWOL, twice. If you have PTSD and you went AWOL, I don't see much of a problem, getting the VA to accept you. I see Wings had spelled it out for you pretty completely back then (2006-07). Best I can offer is to have you keep plugging away and maybe get an attorney. I'd also file for a waiver of copay(s), due to hardship. Your children should apply for Chap 35 bennies, now, even tho they'll be denied. It should make it easier when you do win. When were your dates of service?? jmo

pr

#11 CaravanDan

CaravanDan

• PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:53 PM

Okay,,,A little RECAP>>>I get in for my first appointment of which I was late because the Vets Van ran late so I just got about 20 minutes with a PTSD counseler,she seems Nice and she took some info and scheduled me out in the future for several more appointments and printed me off a list so I could schedule pick-ups for the appointments,,she asked if I was willing to come back and I said because she seemed nice and was fairly new I would do it BUT I said I'm sure BUFFALO Regional will step in and stop the treatment ..<<<<< Well guess what tomorrow I had my appointment and she(My Counseler) called today at 4pm (Last Minute) and said Buffalo STOPPED my treatment,,,Not a Surprize, Any suggestions?? What to do? if anything,,,

#12 CaravanDan

CaravanDan

• PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:14 AM

Hi, Been trying desperatly to get Letter of Denial from Syracuse VA hospital Via buffalo regional so I can do a NOD,,,BUT the Supervisior in the department that handles this keeps saying she will send the Buffalo VA's regionals Denial then doesn't,,I asked for it in wriiting VIA my Home Mail address and even gave a FAX # to make it easier..she said she would send it out that day >>THEN NOTHING,,Now I can't even get a call back...Is it normal practice for the regional VA to stop treatment with a denial but NOT send a Denial to me at my Home address,,they just notified Syracuse VA of the denial and I have to pry it out of them???

#13 11cvolley

11cvolley

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:14 PM

At this point my advise would be to get in touch with a VA lawyer. IF you were denied then a VA lawyer can step in and help you.

#14 CaravanDan

CaravanDan

• PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:43 PM

Update> I have a Rep now!!!!!!!!!!! Finally after all these years I have some-one who stepped up an is supporting me and able to help me...I guess the Focus is on The re-characterization,,,then if that doesn't work >>on to congressional reveiw I think is what its called,and yes they are filing back in to try and get me into treatment for my PTSD,,, I hope for my families sake things don't drag on for more years as my conditions is worsening,

Attached Files