Search

Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup
@  MarkInTexas : (30 August 2014 - 12:35 PM) Wish There Was A "like" Button For Some Of These Comments.......
@  MarkInTexas : (30 August 2014 - 12:26 PM) Amen To That!
@  vet201060 : (28 August 2014 - 09:55 PM) Va Is So Shameful!!
@  artlouis : (27 August 2014 - 11:36 AM) Code 7019
@  vet201060 : (26 August 2014 - 11:41 PM) Damn Post It Notes
@  vet201060 : (26 August 2014 - 11:41 PM) True That
@  Asiadaug : (26 August 2014 - 07:46 PM) I Have Yet To Deal With Any Piece Of Va That Isn't A Dysfunctional Mess...ebenefits, Claim Filing, Billing...and To Think Our Tax Dollars Are Used To Perpetuate That Calamity!
@  carlie : (26 August 2014 - 05:39 PM) notorious kelly - loved your shout ! ! !
@  GlassRose1500 : (26 August 2014 - 03:40 PM) Would Someone Add Smc Housbound Plus Smc A&a Regular And One Smc K For Me? I Can't Seem To Do That Math!
@  Notorious Kelly : (26 August 2014 - 03:12 PM) Ebenefits Is Not A Thermometer In The Rectum Of Your Claim; It Is A Post-It Note That May Or Not Be Updated Or Accurate. Try Not To Obsess ;)
@  mcassidy : (26 August 2014 - 01:25 PM) Osa
@  Jaluluah11B : (26 August 2014 - 10:05 AM) My Reconsideration Finally Showed Up On Ebenefits As A New Claim.  gathering Evidence.  [font=Arial][size=3]Automated 5103 Notice Response Needed. [/size][/font]
@  vet201060 : (26 August 2014 - 10:00 AM) Went From Pending Decision Approval To Review Of Evidence Today, I Need To Stop Looking At It. Drives You Crazy Waiting
@  GlassRose1500 : (25 August 2014 - 09:30 PM) @coriemboh I Get My Best Claim Advice Here, But My Dav Guy Gets The Best Intel Once The Claim Is Filed
@  coriemboh : (25 August 2014 - 08:57 PM) The Average Processing Time Is 9 Months More Or Less. Every Time I Call The 800#, I Get A Different Answer. Goe, Roe....make Up Your Mind!
@  coriemboh : (25 August 2014 - 08:56 PM) I Just Want To Know Ballpark Figure Of How Much Longer My Claim Will Take. The Bills Are Piling Up. Adds To My Anxiety And Depression. Sure Wish I Could Tell Bill Collectors The Same Things Va Tells Me!
@  coriemboh : (25 August 2014 - 08:54 PM) @glassrose1500-No, I Don't. I Put In For Representation A Few Days Ago, But I'm Sure That End Won't Pan Out Until The Claim Is Closed.
@  GlassRose1500 : (25 August 2014 - 12:11 PM) Would Appreciate Feedback On My Smc Draft - Posted In The Smc Section! Tkx!
@  GlassRose1500 : (25 August 2014 - 12:04 PM) @coriemboh - Do You Have A Service Rep You Can Call? They Usually Have More Info...
@  coriemboh : (25 August 2014 - 11:16 AM) Called The 800 # To Check Status Of Claim. Really Frustrated With The Lack Of Information.

Photo

Good News - Got The Waiver For Life Insurance Premiums

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 hedgey

hedgey

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:14 PM

I put it off forever, but finally called the Life Insurance people. A very kind lady walked me through the application and told me how to submit a request for the waiver.

Less than a month later, got the Insurance and the Waiver Approved letter. Yay!

It's not a fortune, but it should be enough for the "wrap up" expenses when I go, and it's free for as long as I'm P&T TDIU 100%, which a great price.

So it's good news.

Also, I had done an IRIS note about the nice lady and how patient she was. I got a snail mail letter from her supervisor thanking me for my message that made me feel very good indeed.

I don't often interact with others or feel like I'm doing much for anyone else. It was really neat to learn that this lady who had been so kind and patient got an atta-girl from her boss. She definitely earned it, after having to deal with me!

Advertise Here

#2 Berta

Berta

HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• SVR
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28625 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:03 PM

This is GREAT News!!!

There are certainly people employed by the VA who do an exellent job and I am glad you sent an IRIS compliment.
VA employees who do good jobs dont often receive feedback from vets when they do.And it means a lot to them.

I have many wonderful friends who work for the VAMC locally in all sorts of positions and have met others dealing with VACO who truly have a veteran's best interests at heart.

I know I gripe about the claims process a lot but still if I wrote a book about how bad the VA is and then one on it's good points, the book about the positive side of VA would sure be the bigger book.

I sent a compliment last month via OSA regarding someone from VACO who put up with me griping a lot and then she quickly helped solve my VA problem.

Edited by Berta, 09 March 2012 - 01:04 PM.

#3 terrysturgis

terrysturgis

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:36 AM

You can also get additional insurance. I have the $10,000 free and I also purchase an additional $20,000. Cost me $291.00 quarterly.
Most people I deal with at the VA are good to me. I treat them as I would like to be treated.

#4 Pete53

Pete53

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder

• 21808 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:18 AM

My motto is to be polite and always thank any VA employee who is helpful.

When the Dallas VA had the old manager Alan Harper my VA was poorly run and a surely place. Ended up he left wheb Dallas VA was worst of 157. What a turn around when the new manger came. The employees would smile and greet you and if you looked lost they would stop and help you find places even walk with you till you got to your destination.

Like any big place you still have some grouches but for the most part going to the VA now is mostly a good experience.

Like Terry and Hedgey I also send letters or emails thanking people who did good by me.

#5 evandc

evandc

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:36 AM

Good deal on the insurance. Depending on the type of policy it also has a loan value which I find amazing that you could borrow on the policy that you paid zero money to take out. I also find if is better to deal with as positive attitude as possible with VA employees & others, It's not always easy but they don't write the rule & I try to remember that they are the ones that everyone goes off on every day. So several times I did the form that VA has to compliment a doctor or nurse & one time a clerk who got my butt out of trouble.

#6 world_wide

world_wide

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:44 AM

Cool, sounds like a win. Congratulations.

#7 Quaymar

Quaymar

E-3 Seaman

• Third Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:31 AM

You can also get additional insurance. I have the $10,000 free and I also purchase an additional $20,000. Cost me $291.00 quarterly.
Most people I deal with at the VA are good to me. I treat them as I would like to be treated.

Whew, $291 a quarter sounds awfully expensive to me.

#8 Wings

Wings

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 12762 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:40 AM

The "waiver" of premium is only for the first policy (worth 10K).

You can apply for an additional 2 policies (worth 10K each), but those premiums are not waived.

I pay $21.60ea or $43.00 per month for a total of $30,000.00 worth of VA Life Ins.

I figure that should be enough to bury me and have a real nice party ;-) ~Wings

#9 terrysturgis

terrysturgis

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:13 PM

Quaymar, if you are 100% totally permanently disabled like I am most insurance companies will get rid of you with four questions. I pay the premiums trying to take the burden of my passing off my wife's shoulders.

#10 Quaymar

Quaymar

E-3 Seaman

• Third Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:04 PM

Quaymar, if you are 100% totally permanently disabled like I am most insurance companies will get rid of you with four questions. I pay the premiums trying to take the burden of my passing off my wife's shoulders.

I was speaking from the standpoint of having been an insurance agent. I assume you have shopped it around. Sorry to hear about the difficulties.

#11 Teac

Teac

E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officer

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1158 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:15 PM

Whew, $291 a quarter sounds awfully expensive to me.

It is but..... if your rated 100% and didn't buy insurance at a young age... you have no real choice.

Hell, I applied or life insurance in 2005, before I was diagnosed with COPD, and sleep apnea, and I was offered a policy at three times the premium my buddy was paying.... why because I was 40 lbs over weight, ( wounder how much more I would be paying now/)

Of course the newer veterans can get up to $50 K in insurance from the VA..

My friend who died a little while back had VA insurance for over $400,000 , but that wasn't disabled vet insurance it was insurance all vets get for 5 years ( maybe longer now) after they get out of service.

Advertise Here