Photo

Sucess?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 world_wide

world_wide

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:17 PM

I received a letter from the DAV today stating

"This letter is not intended to serve as your official notification from the Department of Veterans Affairs(VA)."

Anyway it goes on to say the VA's latest decision is an award of "70%, plus entitlements to benefits at the 100% rate due to individual unemployability." All service connected.

My questions are;

1. How accurate are these DAV letters?

2. Is the letter from the DAV any indication that a VA award letter is closer to reaching my mail box within the next month?

Anyway so there you have it. Thanks all.

#2 Philip Rogers

Philip Rogers

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3692 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:38 PM

world_wide - yes, they are usually very accurate. Your award letter should follow very shortly and you should watch your bank account, for the deposit, as it many times arrives before the official VA award letter. The VSO's are notified first so they can pretend they won it for you and get you to join their organization. Don't waste your money(jmo).

pr

#3 Chuck75

Chuck75

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1367 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:39 PM

It's certainly a positive indication! But, it's not over till the _ _ _ female person sings. (Gotta be politically correct these days)

#4 world_wide

world_wide

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:48 PM

Thanks folks. I do not believe the VA has my bank account number. Even though they awarded my 10% years ago I do not get the money as I am in the reserve.

#5 Notorious Kelly

Notorious Kelly

E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officer

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • 988 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:24 AM

Call the VA with your direct deposit info:

1-800-827-1000

They'll need your bank's routing number and your account number.

Congratulations! Posted Image

#6 world_wide

world_wide

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:43 AM

Call the VA with your direct deposit info:

1-800-827-1000

They'll need your bank's routing number and your account number.

Congratulations! Posted Image

Okay, thanks, I will give them a call on Monday too.

Edited by world_wide, 11 March 2012 - 03:16 PM.

#7 world_wide

world_wide

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:53 AM

Ah well, turns out the DAV letter was not worth paper it was written on. I called the VA this morning and they told me my claim is still in the 'development phase.' The development phase is no where near the decision, let alone the notification phase.

I am going to make a complaint through the DAV. I would rather the DAV send me no correspondence at all. Obviously somebody there did not what they were doing. Posted Image

Update: Well I spoke with a DAV rep and he said the development phase does not mean that the decision has not been made. He said that the VA takes the info. to the DAV. The DAV looks it over and that in another week or so I should get the official letter from the VA. So I shall wait and see.

N.B: I am amazed(sarcasm) that I can speak with such authroity on those things that are way above my pay grade and level of expertise.Posted Image

Edited by world_wide, 12 March 2012 - 01:08 PM.

#8 Donna Kelley

Donna Kelley

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:52 AM

Ah well, turns out the DAV letter was not worth paper it was written on. I called the VA this morning and they told me my claim is still in the 'development phase.' The development phase is no where near the decision, let alone the notification phase.

I am going to make a complaint through the DAV. I would rather the DAV send me no correspondence at all. Obviously somebody there did not what they were doing. Posted Image

Wow, I had heard alot of different stories, but that one would have me more than cranky. Keep us posted on what the DAV had to say for themselves, please. I called and left a message for my rep to call me back, he must be busy as I have not heard back from him. Sorry for you and the frustration, Donna

#9 cooter

cooter

• 966 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:26 AM

I'm not saying this would work or not and I never tried it myself, but in this case, just to calm my nerves, I would call back to the rep from DAV and request that he/she email you the correspondence that the VA had sent to them, re; The TDIU..Who knows, they might even refuse to..Again, this is only what I would do.

Coot

#10 world_wide

world_wide

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:23 PM

Donna and Coot, thanks to you both. I will indeed call the DAV back and ask for the information they VA gave them.

#11 world_wide

world_wide

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:58 PM

success, success, success!

Ok so I called the VA back. This time I spoke with a person who was different from the person I spoke with this morning. Guess there had been a mix up with the cases this morning.

Turns out the DAV was correct! Sorry DAV.

My case is closed and their is retro check on its way to me. I will receive my first monthly check April 1st. The case is classified as closed.

It looks like things are turning out after all. Thanks folks.

#12 Donna Kelley

Donna Kelley

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:33 PM

success, success, success!

Ok so I called the VA back. This time I spoke with a person who was different from the person I spoke with this morning. Guess there had been a mix up with the cases this morning.

Turns out the DAV was correct! Sorry DAV.

My case is closed and their is retro check on its way to me. I will receive my first monthly check April 1st. The case is classified as closed.

It looks like things are turning out after all. Thanks folks.

That is great, and such a relief for you. I am curious though, how long did your claim take to process? I don't expect to get a pre-notification letter in the mail, would be nice, but have learned to be more of a pessimist instead of optimist regarding claims. Again, congratulations, Donna

#13 world_wide

world_wide

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:24 PM

That is great, and such a relief for you. I am curious though, how long did your claim take to process? I don't expect to get a pre-notification letter in the mail, would be nice, but have learned to be more of a pessimist instead of optimist regarding claims. Again, congratulations, Donna

I began this claim in early 2010. So it has been more than 2 years. It maybe could have gone slightly faster but I was working on a ship for a little while, so they had to reschedule my 2nd C&P exam. I am inclined to agree with your view of pessimism too. Or as the saying goes 'expect the worst but pray for the best.'

I met with my RO and he was excellent. I also had a good VFW rep, so this whole thing with the DAV through me for a loop, until I spoke with a DAV rep who had also been helping me. I am inclined to always see things in black and white as opposed to shades of gray.

Anyway I hope your claim will go well. Hang in there no matter what.

#14 cooter

cooter

• 966 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:39 PM

I'm sure glad it all worked out for you!!! Was P&T brought up in the conversation?

Coot

#15 world_wide

world_wide

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:49 PM

I'm sure glad it all worked out for you!!! Was P&T brought up in the conversation?

Coot

Hi Coot, thanks. Yes P&T was a part of the conversation. Pretty much everything the DAV letter said was reinforced by the VA guy I spoke with this afternoon. By the way, I took your suggestion about regarding calling the DAV, but they were busy and told me to call back tomorrow. Thanks for your suggestion.

Edited by world_wide, 12 March 2012 - 08:49 PM.

#16 world_wide

world_wide

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:59 PM

Got the official letter from the VA yesterday confirming what the DAV said. So now I wait on the back pay I suppose. VA says my first pay day will be April 1st.

#17 #1Cavtrooper

#1Cavtrooper

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:20 PM

It's good things turned out ok for you. Two years....was this an appeal?

Edited by #1Cavtrooper, 15 March 2012 - 02:21 PM.

#18 chr49

chr49

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:03 PM

Got the official letter from the VA yesterday confirming what the DAV said. So now I wait on the back pay I suppose. VA says my first pay day will be April 1st.

Congratulations world_wide!!

#19 world_wide

world_wide

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:38 AM

It's good things turned out ok for you. Two years....was this an appeal?

It did include an appeal, yes.

Congratulations world_wide!!

Thanks.

#20 Computer Tech

Computer Tech

• First Class Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:52 AM

Congradulations but it sure is a shame that you had to wait two years.

Rick

#21 cooter

cooter

• 966 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:52 PM

Now you can buy that nice big TV you always wanted. Or was that somebody else. Posted Image

Coot

#22 hedgey

hedgey

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:58 PM

Yay! Happy news makes me feel better. Thanks for sharing it!

#23 Pete53

Pete53

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21601 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:48 AM

Congrats

#24 world_wide

world_wide

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:10 AM

Now you can buy that nice big TV you always wanted. Or was that somebody else. Posted Image

Coot

No that was not me Coot. I do not watch TV. I will be paying off creditors for the next 10 years. I am more relieved that my treatment at the VA is now taken care of. Had an appointment there last week and I have another next week.

Edited by world_wide, 19 March 2012 - 03:36 PM.

#25 world_wide

world_wide

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:14 AM

Congradulations but it sure is a shame that you had to wait two years.

Rick

Thanks Rick. Yes the wait was long, however I think the key to waiting on a long process is to keep busy. I took classes and worked when I could and that helped pass the time. Also I have a friend(former marine) who has been waiting 4 years and is still waiting. So things could have been worse.

Yay! Happy news makes me feel better. Thanks for sharing it!

your welcome, thankyou.