Advertise Here

Photo

Wondering Wether To File For P&t Off Curent Tdiu Eliglible, And What About An Id Card?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 10thFO

10thFO

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:51 PM

Posted ImageWings, on 28 January 2011 - 11:12 PM, said:

x x x See Attached Fast Letter
DoD instructed its facilities that “honorably discharged veterans determined by the VA to have a
service-connected disability of no less than 60%, but rated 100% disabled based on individual
unemployability are entitled to MWR, Commissary and Exchange privileges.” This instruction isstill in effect.

Okay, I know I'm late to the game here, but I believe this is what I have been looking for. This year I got a letter stating that I was 80% service connected but 100% TDIU, due to unemployability when it came to a new law that the state of Virginia had passed for Veterans that were 100% getting a real estate tax exemption. (in Va. you have to be all or it's nothing, no step down basis in tax relief). So after recieving that I finally got property tax taken care of. I called the VARO today, and asked if i was marked as P&T. Answer was no, but felt I should ask. I have been interested in wether I could get an ID card or not, because Ft. Drum NY actually has a pretty decent MWR program, and I have a cottage up on Lake Ontario, and could use some of their resources there. So if I print out this letter, or call the VARO and inform them that I need one of these letters/form for my PX privileges I would be eligible. That's what I'm reading, but I know the difference between what I read and what the VARO's will approve. Anyone else with experience?

As a secondary issue, my TDIU was back dated to 2004, is there anywhere I can find out about the 10/20 rule for myself and my wife. With the PTSD rating, I can't afford the life insurance rate of over 2K a month, so wondering if I should apply for P&T now, or just wait for year 10 to see what happens. I'd like to see that my son's college is paid for and he will be 8 this summer. So I can't wait for 20 years to hit, in case I pass before then.

I found this fast letter from Wings from over a year ago, and wonder if this will suffice to help me out.

Attached Files

Advertise Here

#2 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22162 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

Request P&T ASAP. You have been total for about 6 years. If that ain't permanent I don't know what is.

#3 Philip Rogers

Philip Rogers

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3817 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:18 AM

Like John said, apply now! 5yrs, w/o improvement, is considered permanent. jmo

pr

#4 10thFO

10thFO

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:17 AM

Thanks guys. definitely no improvement, and just did the advanced in patient PTSD program back in december for 5 weeks. I had held off on pushing anything since I know there a lot of vets who need their claims done, and had a friend that was working at the RO that told me I wasn't eligible for P&T a couple years ago, so never pushed it. I will start up the old gears of motion this weekend, LOL. Toothbrush in hand, I will battle the windmill again.......

In requesting P&T, should I just send a letter, including the info diagnosis from my latest VA in patient PTSD program along with my SSDI award letter that was granted based upon the 3 Dr.'s in the first in patient program I went to? Or do I need to file the form for an increase in benies?

#5 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22162 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:54 PM

I think I would just send a Statement in Support of Claim and just state that you have been TDIU for at least 5 years with no improvement and you request P&T. You could send a copy of the SSDI if it is solely for your service connected conditions. To me the whole ball of wax is that you have been total for 5-6 years with no signs of improvement. You are not working and no indication of being able to work. I got P&T within one year of getting TDIU.

John

Advertise Here