Photo

70% Ptsd>>>Should I File For Tdiu

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Gridsmasher11

Gridsmasher11

E-4 Petty Officer 3rd Class

• Second Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:22 AM

I am currently 70% service connected for PTSD and MDD.I am still within my year for appeal....I am currently employed by the Department of Defense as a mail clerk...It is a boring job with little responsibility and limited contact with others..My main function is just to be here......But I am having problems with attendance due to my PTSD and really barely just hanging on....My meds make it extremely difficult to wake up and drive the 90 miles to work and to function properly once there.I don't really work well with others and have had altercations in all of my previous jobs until this one.....I have a wonderful supervisor who signs off on my sick days but my attendance is getting worse..I now average between 2 and 6 days a month missed time due to the PTSD and meds........It is getting to be really difficult to keep working..........Should I go ahead and file for TDIU or should I wait until I get to the point where they have to fire me and then file....By the way I am 48 years old.......Any thoughts would be appreciated....................................................Grid

#2 mobie16r

mobie16r

E-6 Petty Officer 1st Class

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:05 AM

If i was you i would go ahead and file for Individual umployability on the form that you received (21-8940) from VA and you should have received another form in your adward letter,(21-4192) Request for employment Information,This form should be filled out by your supervisor and get he/she (supervisor) to write a letter for you,stating how your PTSD affects your ability to proform your job daily. This will save you a lot of time,because The VA aint that fast getting evidence.

mobie

#3 11cvolley

11cvolley

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:19 AM

*removed*

Edited by 11cvolley, 08 April 2012 - 07:13 AM.

#4 jbasser

jbasser

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6131 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:34 AM

Why do it that way. That could be construed as gaming the system. The VA does read this site.

If you are not able to work, simply get your MH doc to take you off of work. The claim will proceed better than if you get fired.

Negative reactions in this sense can backfire. You don't want a fiduciary to handle your money and have to beg for every dollar you get.

Hang in there. you can succeed if you do it t he right way.

J

#5 11cvolley

11cvolley

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:53 AM

I didn't mean to scam the system. I meant if the OP is the type to struggle to work even though he shouldn't be working. I was like that for years. Going from job to job because I didn't want to admit I wasn't capable of holding a job. Eventually I ran out of places to try to work at and my wife made me seek help. I just don't want to see the OP get into the same position as I was in.

#6 MPsgt

MPsgt

• PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:44 PM

I am currently 70% service connected for PTSD and MDD.I am still within my year for appeal....I am currently employed by the Department of Defense as a mail clerk...It is a boring job with little responsibility and limited contact with others..My main function is just to be here......But I am having problems with attendance due to my PTSD and really barely just hanging on....My meds make it extremely difficult to wake up and drive the 90 miles to work and to function properly once there.I don't really work well with others and have had altercations in all of my previous jobs until this one.....I have a wonderful supervisor who signs off on my sick days but my attendance is getting worse..I now average between 2 and 6 days a month missed time due to the PTSD and meds........It is getting to be really difficult to keep working..........Should I go ahead and file for TDIU or should I wait until I get to the point where they have to fire me and then file....By the way I am 48 years old.......Any thoughts would be appreciated....................................................Grid

I respect your determination but, I strongly advise you to consider Federal Disability Retirement. However, you will need to meet some requirements. I hired an Attorney to process my retirement from the Post Office. I was required to apply for Social Security Disability Insurance as a part of that process. I was no longer working but making it on my 80% rating and SL & AL. I'm currently on LWOP and I'm approved for SSDI after only five months of waiting for it. I should be hearing from the Office Of Personnel Management regarding the final portion of my disability retirement in the next couple of weeks. I'll keep you post on the progress. This is a tough process but, you can do it!

#7 MPsgt

MPsgt

• PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:21 PM

I was approved for Federal Disability Retirement under FERS on Apr 12, 2012. I just need to have it finalized. Surf the internet about Federal DR for yourself or go to Harris Federal Law Firm's website to see if you qualify. FDR has nothing to do the VA and you maybe entitled to both. Good Luck!

#8 maset22

maset22

• First Class Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:25 PM

Gridsmassher, as I read your posting and of the others. I want to mention Safety First. And it bring back some memories that I went thru as a mail carrier.

In those moments for me I did not know what my condition was, I just knew it was hard to drive almost two hours to work, then put in six hours at work, then drive back home, all while I was and I am, on some though medications. Sleeping on the road, waiting to hear the sounds of the other cars moving, so I could open my eyes at the stop lights and go. In one case, a school bus ran me off the road, luckily we were in a rural area, in my case I resign, I had nine years and eight months, four months from early retirement, plus the days I miss. I ask? Who would do that in there right mind?

I was angry, I did not know how I was going to feed my family, I could not leave the house unless it was somehow Dr. visits and I seems to be more relax with my veterans at VA and Dr.'s. I just wanted to... many things, But I got some treatment, and I am still in treatment.

I cannot tell you how to proceed, I was honest as I could, even that took some time, the word that I think most help me came from one of my Dr. at the Va. "Compassion" Not so much as nice to others, but, kind to yourself also. Wish you the best, but most off all, don't give up

#9 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21847 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:15 PM

Grid

You can do as I did when I worked for USPS. I waited until they drove me crazy. Then they had enough on me to fire me for cause. I hired a MSPB lawyer and got a disability retirement instead. I filed for workers compensation. I also filed for SSDI and TDIU. I would not do it that way again even though it worked for me. When I knew I could not do it any more I would put in for the retirement and start the ball rolling on all the other programs as soon as I became eligible. It is very stressful to get fired. I got picked up by workers' compensation within months of being fired because my condition was known to them and I was already on light duty for it. See if you can sign up for one of the group disability programs the feds offer. While you wait you can draw money from your TSP. OPM is easy to get but it is small money. Once you get TDIU or 100% you will be making more take home pay than your buddies who were telling how sorry they were to see you go.

John