Search

Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup
@  vet201060 : (28 August 2014 - 09:55 PM) Va Is So Shameful!!
@  artlouis : (27 August 2014 - 11:36 AM) Code 7019
@  vet201060 : (26 August 2014 - 11:41 PM) Damn Post It Notes
@  vet201060 : (26 August 2014 - 11:41 PM) True That
@  Asiadaug : (26 August 2014 - 07:46 PM) I Have Yet To Deal With Any Piece Of Va That Isn't A Dysfunctional Mess...ebenefits, Claim Filing, Billing...and To Think Our Tax Dollars Are Used To Perpetuate That Calamity!
@  carlie : (26 August 2014 - 05:39 PM) notorious kelly - loved your shout ! ! !
@  GlassRose1500 : (26 August 2014 - 03:40 PM) Would Someone Add Smc Housbound Plus Smc A&a Regular And One Smc K For Me? I Can't Seem To Do That Math!
@  Notorious Kelly : (26 August 2014 - 03:12 PM) Ebenefits Is Not A Thermometer In The Rectum Of Your Claim; It Is A Post-It Note That May Or Not Be Updated Or Accurate. Try Not To Obsess ;)
@  mcassidy : (26 August 2014 - 01:25 PM) Osa
@  Jaluluah11B : (26 August 2014 - 10:05 AM) My Reconsideration Finally Showed Up On Ebenefits As A New Claim.  gathering Evidence.  [font=Arial][size=3]Automated 5103 Notice Response Needed. [/size][/font]
@  vet201060 : (26 August 2014 - 10:00 AM) Went From Pending Decision Approval To Review Of Evidence Today, I Need To Stop Looking At It. Drives You Crazy Waiting
@  GlassRose1500 : (25 August 2014 - 09:30 PM) @coriemboh I Get My Best Claim Advice Here, But My Dav Guy Gets The Best Intel Once The Claim Is Filed
@  coriemboh : (25 August 2014 - 08:57 PM) The Average Processing Time Is 9 Months More Or Less. Every Time I Call The 800#, I Get A Different Answer. Goe, Roe....make Up Your Mind!
@  coriemboh : (25 August 2014 - 08:56 PM) I Just Want To Know Ballpark Figure Of How Much Longer My Claim Will Take. The Bills Are Piling Up. Adds To My Anxiety And Depression. Sure Wish I Could Tell Bill Collectors The Same Things Va Tells Me!
@  coriemboh : (25 August 2014 - 08:54 PM) @glassrose1500-No, I Don't. I Put In For Representation A Few Days Ago, But I'm Sure That End Won't Pan Out Until The Claim Is Closed.
@  GlassRose1500 : (25 August 2014 - 12:11 PM) Would Appreciate Feedback On My Smc Draft - Posted In The Smc Section! Tkx!
@  GlassRose1500 : (25 August 2014 - 12:04 PM) @coriemboh - Do You Have A Service Rep You Can Call? They Usually Have More Info...
@  coriemboh : (25 August 2014 - 11:16 AM) Called The 800 # To Check Status Of Claim. Really Frustrated With The Lack Of Information.
@  vet201060 : (25 August 2014 - 10:12 AM) Just Checked Ebenefits And Claim Was Pending Decision Approval And Then Checked Few Minutes After That And Now Prep For Decision. Drives Me Crazy
@  coriemboh : (24 August 2014 - 10:00 PM) Anyone Else Having A Hard Time With Evet Updates? Mine Is Taking Forever!

Photo
- - - - -

Dental Implants

QUESTION

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 grent

grent

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: NONE
  • Branch of Service: none

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:08 PM

IF A VET IS 100% P AND T SCHEDULER WILL VA OUTPATIENT DENTAL PAY FOR DENTAL IMPLANTS.

HAS ANYONE HAD THIS SERVICE PROVIDED TO THEM??

Advertise Here

#2 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22197 posts
  • Interests:VA law and history of the Blues
  • Service Connected Disability: 100%
  • Branch of Service: Army

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:20 PM

They should if it means saving teeth! You may have to fight the Power to get them. You might be able to show them that by just having some implants you can then have a bridge or something cheaper. I have some implants but I had to pay for them since the VA said they were not medically necessary. I think I could have won that battle, but I had a group of dentists I really trusted to do a good job so I had them do it and paid the price. If I had ten implants that would be another story. They cost over $3000 for each implant and it takes some time for healing each step of the way. Some people fly to Thailand and get a whole mouthfull for aroud $8000. That woud cost us 60,000 bucks or more.

The first argument the VA will make is that you don't have enough good bone left for implants. You can get bone grafts. The VA preachs about oral heath but then trys to not pay for it. Hypocrites!

John

#3 Philip Rogers

Philip Rogers

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3875 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 100
  • Branch of Service: US Army Airborne

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:46 AM

I had a vet, in my group, get 5 implants about 10 yrs ago, thru the VA.

pr

#4 Pete53

Pete53

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder

• 21803 posts
  • Interests:My Family
  • Branch of Service: USA

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:08 AM

Dallas VAMC requires an ok from a panel of three dentists. Although they paid outside Dentist 6000 bucks I never seem to be able to get 2 that my Dentist recommended.

Don't worry I am on their case.

#5 JON

JON

• First Class Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Interests:Classic cars, fishing, camping, travel.
  • Branch of Service: USMC Vietnam

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:36 AM

I can't get Spokane Wa. VA to give them to me, even though it is 4 front teeth that show and they are service connected. No implants period- "you'll have to go without fron teeth til we decide how we're going to fix them".

#6 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 22197 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:38 AM

Joh

If you have good teeth on either side of the gap could they not just put in a bridge. To me the VA are just cheap bastards. They refused to put in a crown for me and put in an enormous filing. I have little faith in them. My real dentist said the big filing was going to crack and it was just a matter of a few months or years.

John

#7 Capt.Contaminate

Capt.Contaminate

Chief

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 40%
  • Branch of Service: US ARMY

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:42 PM

Hello,,, John and Pete......Philip Rogers, Jon, and Gent. I just got back from Progresso outside of Weslaco. Parked at the bridge and walked the 200 to 300yards to my dentist to get my teeth cleaned. 30.00 and he said everything looked fine. I go back in about 5-6 months .

I have been going for about 3 to 4 years . Ok so lets say you need a crown or implants it runs about 7 for the crown and implants about 1200. We are talking new equipement and perfect English . Educated at the University of New York school of dentisty.

Send me a private email and I will give you his name and information and phone numbers .

Lots of Vets and seniors down in Progresso because it is still a real bargain.

Just thought I would throw this out there for our vets and families. Oh yea it is solid dentist and lots of them ,,,,including orthodontist for braces.....Oh yea ,,,, I love going down there to get fixed up, no pain , fast and I can go home pretty quick.. Hope this helps.....Remember .....NEVER GIVE UP. God Bless. C.C.

Edited by Capt.Contaminate, 13 April 2012 - 10:12 PM.

#8 retiredat44

retiredat44

E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officer

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • 782 posts
  • Interests:Not able to pursue many interests at this time. My health prevents me from doing much. I wish I could go back to hiking, photography, etc..
  • Service Connected Disability: 60%
  • Branch of Service: USAF

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:55 PM

I don't have any teeth, they had to be removed, or what was left of pieces of chards of enamel , when my teeth leted and cut my mouth into bloody flesh,, and had to have the remains all removed at one time.. since the va refused emergency surgery (intestinal disease runied my teeth ) a dental school took out all the rest in one horrible operation.. That was about 10 years ago.. if/when I get the full 100% P&T I might consider implants, but I probably am at too great of rish from complications due to severe pancreas disease, and any infection, any operation might kill me,, my false teeth do not fit but maybe they false teeth could be refinished to fit my mouth..

or, since I am so sick I might just never have teeth ever again..

Edited by retiredat44, 14 April 2012 - 03:20 PM.

#9 JON

JON

• First Class Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Interests:Classic cars, fishing, camping, travel.
  • Branch of Service: USMC Vietnam

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:37 AM

John,

I allready have a 4 tooth bridge there (42 years old), the post or anchor teeth have had root canals. The young VA dentist took one look and said it would almost be impossible to make a larger (longer) bridge and she wasn't sure if they could make a removable appliance (partial) to fit. She couldn't even get the bridge off to examine and and said the xray shows the post(anchor) tooth may be broken at the gum line. She said I could go to a private dentist and get bone graft and implants done at my expense, but no VA. Also she sais I'd be walking around with no front teeth until they decide what to do. Maybe they can build some kind of temporary she added.

I slays me that in Az through the Las Vegas VA dental fee base I got my last 8 bottom teeth crowned, but can't get the front ones fixed properly here. Spokane dental rants and raves about dental care and keeping teeth, but he hem around at fixing time. Go figure. Thanks for the input.

Jon

#10 Cavman

Cavman

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:49 AM

I am 100% and been going to VA dental since 2009. I am a stage 4 cancer survivor and it was in the right tonsil and nodes. I did receive strong radiation and lost much of my saliva glands and taste. The VA has left me presently with 1 full molar, 2 teeth grinded to toothpick size holding on a cemented bridge that has 2 teeth broken off it on each side, 1 tooth broken at the gum line with a steel rod also broken off that was helping bridge in, another tooth broken at gum line and one tooth that was grinded down to also help support bridge with a massive gob of buildup around it so it doesn`t cut my tongue. A catastrophe! I am left with some bottom teeth broken at gum line also and teeth extremely loose that root canals were done with them wiggly to the touch. 

My dentist said he could do nothing more for me and didn`t know what to do. I went to a university prosthedontics professor and he has no issue doing complete implants on the top and 3 crowns with a partial on the bottom. Implants would be snap in and out ones. They are cheaper. Complete price with extractions and surgery of teeth VA broke off at gum line is around $15,000, which is cheapest around because it is dental school price and will be done by a student overseen by professor.

The VA absolutely says they won`t do the implants or pay for it with fee basis. They have the money according to my dentist and he stated vets much less than me with problems have gotten fee basis. Their reason.....My jaw will get infected and have to be removed due to radiation I took. That is the reason they say they won`t pay.

I`m borrowing the money and getting it done. Any suggestions or comments as to what I could do?

#11 meghp0405

meghp0405

E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officer

• 872 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 100

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:58 PM

the Louisville VA dental folks will not do it here. They say it's an cosmetic issue and they don't do anything cosmetic...

#12 Chuck75

Chuck75

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 1434 posts
  • Branch of Service: USN

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:06 PM

Implants? Ha! the area VAMC is known for having veteran's teeth pulled, and thus forcing false teeth.

Why? I don't know!

Maybe it's cheaper for the VA, less hassle for the VA dentists, or "somebody" has an interest in the company that supplies the false teeth.

#13 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 22197 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:28 PM

jon   

If it is front teeth I would make an appointment with a psychiatrist and say you are socially isolated because you think everyone is looking at you and judging you because you are missing your  front teeth. My VAMC guards dental care like it was FT Knox and the care is crummy. There are so many vets walking around with chronic infections of the gums which could cause heart disease I am told. It is just the money factor. I talked to one of my VA dentists and he believed that even poor people should be responsible for their own dental work. Here is a guy living off the government just like vets but he has the money for good dental care and no sympathy for those who don't.  People can't even pay rent or mortgage so they ignore their teeth or have some disease that takes them.

#14 Pete53

Pete53

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder

• 21803 posts
  • Interests:My Family
  • Branch of Service: USA

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:38 AM

You can appeal any decision made by VA Dental. You only have 30 days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertise Here