Photo

Movement!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 AFMedic09

AFMedic09

E-4 Petty Officer 3rd Class

• Second Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:50 AM

So, I filed my claim with St. Pete RO Jan 24th, 2011. C&P's in March 2011 and stayed in Gathering Evidence until March 22,2012 when it moved to Preperation for decision. Today I checked and it says Pending Decision Approval. Ok, I admit they told me Prep. for decision was taking 70 days in my RO...this has been just over 30. My stomach is in knots. No new forms under my download forms....
I know it could go back, I expect I am going to be disappointed when the decision comes in, but the waiting...the waiting is KILLER. UGH. THANK YOU GOD for some movement though! I'd like to get the decision and know what kind of battle I have ahead.
According to my conditions, and the 38, I expect 50% to be a fair rating. However, I know fair isn't what the VA tries to give you. They want you to have the smallest rating possible, IF they even SC your conditions. Such a frustrating process. I am just staying in prayer, and TRYING to let it go. This is really gut wrenching.

#2 NJBB62

NJBB62

• PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:36 AM

Mine did that and then went back to review of evidence then straight to closed and then my letters showed up.

Stay positive we are here for you, Best advice i had was from Carla, try to keep yourself busy and not think about it,
I know it's hard but Movement is slow and it will drive you crazy!

Praying you get what you Deserve!

NJ

#3 NJBB62

NJBB62

• PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:38 AM

I mistyped should have read "Carlie"

#4 AFMedic09

AFMedic09

• PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:55 AM

The VA just called ME. lol The guy said he had to verify my dependent's SS#'s because in cases where veterans receive 30% or greater they are eligible to receive dependent stipend. I said "Yes sir." He said "Well, this is the case with you." He went over my first marriage, that I am still in my second marriage, and the children produced from each. He had my oldest's birthdate wrong. Once he fixed that he said "Oh there it is. It's verified. Now let me make sure I have your banking information correct." He did. Oh MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LORD LORD LORD!! I almost threw up when I hung up the phone. I tried to play it very cool, but I wanted to just SCREAM. He said I should have my letter within 10 days. HOLY HECK!!!!

EDIT: Just checked and I am in the Prep. for Notification stage now. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO LORDY!

Edited by AFMedic09, 24 April 2012 - 09:04 AM.

#5 71M10

71M10

E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officer

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1224 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:58 AM

Congratulations,

Sometimes the deposit will show up before the letter and sometimes they will take thier sweet time doing the disbursement (it seems this happens with increases where they have to look at dependent rates and dependents going on and off the award). I had one increase that it took them 104 days to make the deposit after I was notified. Most of them were either in the bank when the letter came or was there in 10-14 days.

I mention this just to make you aware of the possibilities.

With 50% you have no perscription co-pays with VA and you should get travel pay for all appointments(medical).

Best regards,

#6 AFMedic09

AFMedic09

• PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:34 PM

Thank you 71M10! :) I will let you all know as soon as I hear anything else. Seems like people find out and fall off the board. So thankful for those of you who stay on here, and help us newbies. I am trying to stay busy and just let this happen. I know it's at least 30%.

#7 NJBB62

NJBB62

• PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:02 PM

Congrat, usually the retro hits the bank before you get the letter, keep an eye on your account and spend wisely.

NJ

#8 AFMedic09

AFMedic09

• PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:10 PM

Thank you NJ! :) I will for sure. I am just so thankful that there is movement, and hoping it will be a fair decision. There is a weight lifted a as a part of me worried they would deny it all. lol At least I know at least 30%.

#9 AFMedic09

AFMedic09

• PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:51 PM

Ok, today is 4 days later and nothing yet. I don't expect anything will update on the weekend. I will just have to keep my mind on other matters until Monday, and start the madness of checking the letter generater again. lol I just know if anyone at the VA checked my account activity they would feel embarrassed for me with the frequency I have checked that letter generator. LMBO. Well, I hope anyone else on this waiting game with me will have a great weekend and that we hear good news soon!!!Posted Image

#10 COOL BREEZE

COOL BREEZE

E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officer

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:19 AM

I agree about spending wisely!! Mine was spent having the entire outside of the house painted,(paint alone was over 900.00, the roof repaired and painted and car repair. If you are expecting a retro, you need to make list and have the most important done first. As a homeowner, the roof is the most important. It was cracking around the edges, and with the monsoon in a few months, that is top priority.

E-benefits is not always updated timely. You could have a claim in the gathering evidence stage, and the next day it will show closed. It is just used as an estimate on the status of the claim.

I would wait till the end of next week to check. Checking this everyday(even though you probably will) is going to make you go nuts with anxiety attacks. It will show something shortly, just find something else like another book to read to keep your mind off this issue.

#11 jvretiredvet

jvretiredvet

E-6 Petty Officer 1st Class

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:31 AM

I suggest you apply a dose of "the tincture of time."

At this point, I don't see eBenefits as having any real legal validity. While it perhaps might be somewhat helpful to some, is NOT a source of legally valid information. One might say that eBenefits is for informative and educational purposes only.

Ok, today is 4 days later and nothing yet. I don't expect anything will update on the weekend. I will just have to keep my mind on other matters until Monday, and start the madness of checking the letter generater again. lol I just know if anyone at the VA checked my account activity they would feel embarrassed for me with the frequency I have checked that letter generator. LMBO. Well, I hope anyone else on this waiting game with me will have a great weekend and that we hear good news soon!!!Posted Image

#12 carlie

carlie

Moderator/Admin/HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22282 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:35 AM

Try to give yourself one full week to leave the 800 #, ebenefits and/or iris completely alone.
Since VBA has your bank account number - just check that about once every 3 or 4 days.
You already know that good news is on the horizon.
Find something to do - let this run it's course a bit more WITHOUT running you.
Hang in there - don't let this control your life right now.

Someone posted making plans for how funds need to be spent - work on a priority list
of utmost importance first - like if your roof has problems, etc. . .

#13 AFMedic09

AFMedic09

• PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:57 PM

Carlie,
You're right. It is totally running me at this point. I have vowed not to check today, and so far so good. (Ok, it's not a BIG step since it's Sunday, and probably nothing would show up today anyway, but it's a step.) ;) I am going to make out a top priority list tonight. My biggest goal is to have savings when this is all said and done.

I look forward to updating next week with some good news. :)

#14 carlie

carlie

• Admin
  • 22282 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:35 PM

My biggest goal is to have savings when this is all said and done.

For the above you are going to have to spend with extreme caution.
Maybe plan now on something like - no matter what the amount is of retro,
take 25 percent of it and put it right into savings that has money market
attached to it and promise yourself not to take anything from it for a minimum of one year.

I did this for myself (actually about 48 percent) and have had absolutely no regrets.

I know it might be easy to justify and say to ourselves -
well there really wasn't that much money from my retro and I needed to do
X - Y - Z . . .

Truly one of the first rules of being a saver - is to pay savings FIRST, before anything else.
Even if it's not a large amount.

Also, you can go to your bank where you have your VA comp direct deposited to and
have them open you up a savings account and for example whatever amount your monthly
VA comp is - tell them an amount to transfer each month - the day after your deposit hits -
to your savings account. Even if you can do $10 - $25 - $50 or $100 - start with something
and over time as you pay off more bills you can increase the transfer amount a bit.

Even if you start small - stick with it. When you want to buy little things that are like only 3 or 4 bucks,
evaluate - do I need this - if not - don't spend it. It is real important in savings to work on good money habits.

One of our members here kind of has a family policy that the last week of each month - they don't spend ANY money.
I've been trying to apply this to my life - but ... but ... but ... : - )

Right now we are trying to not buy any fast food or additional groceries for one week
and work on what we already have in the house - we are doing OK so far . . .
Hell - there's enough food in this house for at least 3 weeks or more.

I'm wishing the best for you and trying to encourage you for your best interest.

#15 AFMedic09

AFMedic09

• PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:11 PM

What AWESOME ideas!!! I can't wait to share this with my hubby! You are so right. I need to just set a %, which I would LIKE to be at least 25% or my retro. Such great ideas. We have been under such financial stress as my ex-husband hasn't paid child support in almost 3 years, and my hubby was a full time substitute this year, but did not get paid for any of the weeks or days off. Next year he has a teaching offer! (God is GOOD!) The ex is still a deadbeat, but this VA award softens that blow. :) I just want to be able to pay for car repairs or an emergency, and that is what I'd like to have savings for. Thank you so much for the suggestions, and I will DEFFINITELY use them. :)

#16 AFMedic09

AFMedic09

• PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:36 PM

Ok, so this morning I checked ebene. and the AB8 letter was there along with a few others. 40%. Claim status shows: Gathering of Evidence. I called "Peggy", but she didn't have any insight. I will have to wait on the letter from the VA, which "Peggy" said hasn't been finalized yet. *sigh* I think I need anxiety meds.......

#17 carlie

carlie

• Admin
  • 22282 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:38 PM

The ex is still a deadbeat, but this VA award softens that blow. :)
I just want to be able to pay for car repairs or an emergency, and that is what I'd like to have savings for.

The extra cash from additional dependent comp will surely come in handy : - )

#18 AFMedic09

AFMedic09

• PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:32 PM

It certainly does! :-) My children are still young, so it is $30.00/child at this point. I do not besmirch that at ALL. I am thankful for the rating I have received thus far. Will await my envelope to see what if anything was deferred (causing my claim to be in gathering evidence instead of closed right now...) and if I should NOD any decisions they have made. I have a couple difficult issues, that I feel I should be rated for (fairly). If not, I will NOD and fight 'til the end. I will update when I get my packet. :-) Thank you for the encouragement!!

#19 #1Cavtrooper

#1Cavtrooper

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:52 AM

Hello AFMedic09, In answer to your question in Success stories, my claim is still in prep for decisision (has been since Dec 14, 2011). They tell you 54 day avg in that phase for Houston. Lol.... May 14, 2012 will be 5 months in that phase. Oh, well......

Edited by #1Cavtrooper, 01 May 2012 - 06:54 AM.

#20 AFMedic09

AFMedic09

• PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:54 AM

Cav - Is there anything you can do about it? Is this an initial claim, or are you appealing? I have read appeals take longer than initial claims. (Not sure how taht is possible, but they make a way...) I hope you will get some good news soon! I am waiting for that envelope so I know what I need to continue to fight for, or what they might need an IMO for. One thing is for sure, anyone who gets what they deserve from the VA has worked their a$# off in the military and this process to get it.

#21 #1Cavtrooper

#1Cavtrooper

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:30 AM

This is my initial claim. According to Va, Houston is the most backlogged VARO in the nation. Fourth largest city in the US and the VAMC serves over 99 counties so they have a gazillion claims. I have hardship paperwork in, but all a person can do is hope and pray. The ball is in THEIR court.

Edited by #1Cavtrooper, 01 May 2012 - 08:32 AM.

#22 AFMedic09

AFMedic09

• PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:35 AM

That is true. Really we are helpless to their time and attention. I hope you will get some movement soon. From what I have been through with this it is more stressful as you get to the end. Stitting in an endless waiting pattern gets you numb - as soon as a light appears at the end of the tunnel it's a bunch of pins and needles all the time. I have lost over 10 pounds in a week over this. Sick to my stomach and just stressing out. Got my white envelope, and still clueless. lol I hope you will get some resolution so you can take the steps you need for a fair rating.