Search

Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup
@  carlie : (30 August 2014 - 06:27 PM) Vet211060 - I Guess They're Not That Shameful After All : - ) Congrats On Some Positive Adjudication
@  vet201060 : (30 August 2014 - 04:24 PM) Dav Sent Letter Saying I Am 100% Effective Oct 2013
@  MarkInTexas : (30 August 2014 - 12:35 PM) Wish There Was A "like" Button For Some Of These Comments.......
@  MarkInTexas : (30 August 2014 - 12:26 PM) Amen To That!
@  vet201060 : (28 August 2014 - 09:55 PM) Va Is So Shameful!!
@  artlouis : (27 August 2014 - 11:36 AM) Code 7019
@  vet201060 : (26 August 2014 - 11:41 PM) Damn Post It Notes
@  vet201060 : (26 August 2014 - 11:41 PM) True That
@  Asiadaug : (26 August 2014 - 07:46 PM) I Have Yet To Deal With Any Piece Of Va That Isn't A Dysfunctional Mess...ebenefits, Claim Filing, Billing...and To Think Our Tax Dollars Are Used To Perpetuate That Calamity!
@  carlie : (26 August 2014 - 05:39 PM) notorious kelly - loved your shout ! ! !
@  GlassRose1500 : (26 August 2014 - 03:40 PM) Would Someone Add Smc Housbound Plus Smc A&a Regular And One Smc K For Me? I Can't Seem To Do That Math!
@  Notorious Kelly : (26 August 2014 - 03:12 PM) Ebenefits Is Not A Thermometer In The Rectum Of Your Claim; It Is A Post-It Note That May Or Not Be Updated Or Accurate. Try Not To Obsess ;)
@  mcassidy : (26 August 2014 - 01:25 PM) Osa
@  Jaluluah11B : (26 August 2014 - 10:05 AM) My Reconsideration Finally Showed Up On Ebenefits As A New Claim.  gathering Evidence.  [font=Arial][size=3]Automated 5103 Notice Response Needed. [/size][/font]
@  vet201060 : (26 August 2014 - 10:00 AM) Went From Pending Decision Approval To Review Of Evidence Today, I Need To Stop Looking At It. Drives You Crazy Waiting
@  GlassRose1500 : (25 August 2014 - 09:30 PM) @coriemboh I Get My Best Claim Advice Here, But My Dav Guy Gets The Best Intel Once The Claim Is Filed
@  coriemboh : (25 August 2014 - 08:57 PM) The Average Processing Time Is 9 Months More Or Less. Every Time I Call The 800#, I Get A Different Answer. Goe, Roe....make Up Your Mind!
@  coriemboh : (25 August 2014 - 08:56 PM) I Just Want To Know Ballpark Figure Of How Much Longer My Claim Will Take. The Bills Are Piling Up. Adds To My Anxiety And Depression. Sure Wish I Could Tell Bill Collectors The Same Things Va Tells Me!
@  coriemboh : (25 August 2014 - 08:54 PM) @glassrose1500-No, I Don't. I Put In For Representation A Few Days Ago, But I'm Sure That End Won't Pan Out Until The Claim Is Closed.
@  GlassRose1500 : (25 August 2014 - 12:11 PM) Would Appreciate Feedback On My Smc Draft - Posted In The Smc Section! Tkx!

Photo

Confused On Claim

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 mike316atl

mike316atl

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 06:31 PM

Hi everyone! I am currently receiving 30% compensation. I was medically discharged from the Army in 2006 because of a unknown digestive disorder. Last year, I was admitted to the VA hospital in Atlanta for about 1 week and I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease. I went back through many of my medical records from the military and I found some evidence. One exam stated that "SM possibly has Crohn's disease". I filed a claim with the VA last July. I received a copy of the C&P exam and the opinion by the doc was not good. He stated that "it is LESS than likely that the diagnoses of crohn's is due to service". "Even though SM had similar symptoms in the military that he is currently having, it overburdens the logic of cause and effect that inservice event is related to Crohn's". Here's the confusing part, even though the doc stated his opinion, the RO is still requesting VA medication lists and evidence from the medical center.

Should I get ready for an appeal? Thanks!

Advertise Here

#2 JR Reihs

JR Reihs

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:03 PM

Hi everyone! I am currently receiving 30% compensation. I was medically discharged from the Army in 2006 because of a unknown digestive disorder. Last year, I was admitted to the VA hospital in Atlanta for about 1 week and I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease. I went back through many of my medical records from the military and I found some evidence. One exam stated that "SM possibly has Crohn's disease". I filed a claim with the VA last July. I received a copy of the C&P exam and the opinion by the doc was not good. He stated that "it is LESS than likely that the diagnoses of crohn's is due to service". "Even though SM had similar symptoms in the military that he is currently having, it overburdens the logic of cause and effect that inservice event is related to Crohn's". Here's the confusing part, even though the doc stated his opinion, the RO is still requesting VA medication lists and evidence from the medical center.

Should I get ready for an appeal? Thanks!

Not only should you get ready for an appeal..........you should get an IMO ready before hand. If you have military records inferring Crohn's while in service, this should not be a difficult nut to crack.......spending the $$ on a IMO will help you get over the hump.

#3 mike316atl

mike316atl

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:12 PM

Not only should you get ready for an appeal..........you should get an IMO ready before hand. If you have military records inferring Crohn's while in service, this should not be a difficult nut to crack.......spending the $$ on a IMO will help you get over the hump.

Sorry, I looked for the definition but I couldn't find what an IMO is. :) Never mind, I found it! Another opinion! I cannot afford to use any other health care beyond the VA right now unfortuantly!

Edited by mike316atl, 20 May 2012 - 08:14 PM.

#4 jbasser

jbasser

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6184 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:54 PM

I have some bad news for you.
Chrons is rated as IBS.

The max you can get is 30 percent according to the schedule.

You may be spinning your wheels on this one.

J

#5 mike316atl

mike316atl

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:17 PM

I have some bad news for you.
Chrons is rated as IBS.

The max you can get is 30 percent according to the schedule.

You may be spinning your wheels on this one.

J

Is it rated as Ulcerative Colitis since both are forms of Inflammatory Bowel Disease?

#6 kevin4998

kevin4998

E-3 Seaman

• Third Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:59 AM

I am in no way an expert on filing, but I do know IBS very well
because that is one of my claims. And, I know what Chrohns is
like because my mother has been dealing with it for over 30 years.

You may want too look at the following as secondary maybe.
CFR: 7330 and depression AND anxiety (even though they are
not stackable togather). Depression, because how it effects your
inability to do the normal things in life you may of once enjoyed.
Anxiety because if your not near a bathroom, you will (or it least
I do) sorta freak out. Pain is another issue, which I am not sure at
the moment if thier is a CFR number for.

With either IBS or Chrohns you have to change your life style
to accomadate the problems that they create and to hopefully control it
too some degree. They both are very difficult to adjust too.

I also used IBS in my SSD case, which I just had my court date a week and
half ago and I believe it went very well due too the fact that I included it (IBS)
and the issues that it has created in my life in my claim.

Hopefully others with either will chim in here on thier claims of IBS/Chrohns,
as I will be following this post as well and I will hopefully learn something
new or something I have not thought of.

#7 jbasser

jbasser

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Admin
  • 6184 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:17 AM

Is it rated as Ulcerative Colitis since both are forms of Inflammatory Bowel Disease?

According to the title 38 part 4, it is to be rated as Regional Interitis. The note says to rate it as IBS
That is they way the VA rated it and that is the the way it will most likely remain since 30 percent is the max rating for it,

J

#8 Philip Rogers

Philip Rogers

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 3882 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:16 AM

You don't state whether your symptoms interfere w/your ability to work or hold down a job. If the symptoms are severe enough you can get TDIU, even tho the max rating is 30%. Your main problem is service-connecting(SC) it. You can win, but it may or may not take yrs. An IMO would certainly helpexpedite it, if you could manage it. jmo

pr

#9 mike316atl

mike316atl

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:01 AM

half ago and I believe it went very well due too the fact that I included it (IBS)

Thanks for the advice! Pain is something I have to deal with on a daily basis! Some days are better than others of course, but some days it takes its toll. When I was first diagnosed, the doctor at the VA clinic told me that I should quit my present job (FedEx) because of the physical demands. Eventually, I had to quit.

#10 mike316atl

mike316atl

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:58 PM

I was diagnosed with IBS and Crohn's at the same time. As I was looking at the codes, Can I recieve a seperate rating since I already recieve 10% for hiatal hernia?

Advertise Here