Search

Advertise Here

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Tbird : (23 October 2014 - 05:07 PM) Correction Jan 20. 2015 Will Be Hadit.com's 18 Year Anniversary
@  Tbird : (23 October 2014 - 11:38 AM) Jan 20, 2015 Will Be Hadit.com's 19 Year Anniversary, That's Amazing.
@  britton : (23 October 2014 - 08:14 AM) I Got It Tbird Thank You
@  Tbird : (22 October 2014 - 05:26 AM) Britton Sent You A Pm
@  britton : (21 October 2014 - 10:05 PM) Tbird, I Sent A Donation To Hadit Via Pay Pal...i Hope You Got It?
@  raven316 : (21 October 2014 - 01:59 PM) Glasses
@  iceturkee : (20 October 2014 - 06:50 AM) Good Luck Plum
@  Notorious Kelly : (19 October 2014 - 06:32 AM) I Wish You All The Best With That, Plum!
@  me.plum : (18 October 2014 - 01:09 PM) Hearing For Bva 11-19 At 8:30 Wow!!! Thanks Everyone!!!
@  Tbird : (18 October 2014 - 12:30 PM) Buckeye46 Thank For Contributing Our Fund Raiser
@  Notorious Kelly : (17 October 2014 - 02:11 PM) Impressive Site, Kimmy. I Bookmarked. Thanks! :)
@  Kimmy : (17 October 2014 - 08:31 AM) I Recently Discover The Site. It Is Very Detailed With Info On Conditions And Ratings.
@  Kimmy : (17 October 2014 - 08:28 AM) Has Anyone Here Been To This Site? Http://www.militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com/
@  Tbird : (17 October 2014 - 08:06 AM) Snake Eyes Thank You For Remembering Us. Congratulations On Your Retro.
@  Snake Eyes : (16 October 2014 - 07:04 PM) Thinking Of Donating A Portion Of My Retro On Next Claim. Smaller Amount Coming Beginning Of November. Thanks For The Good Work!
@  britton : (13 October 2014 - 06:13 AM) Hi There T Bird Shout Backatcha
@  Tbird : (13 October 2014 - 06:04 AM) Britton Ahoy There Matey Give You A Shout Out Back
@  Tbird : (13 October 2014 - 06:00 AM) Thank You Michael M For Your Contribution To Our Funding Campaign
@  Tbird : (13 October 2014 - 05:57 AM) Thank You Elliot K For Your Contribution To Our Funding Campaign
@  Timothy11 : (12 October 2014 - 05:58 PM) Retro Pay

Photo

Chap 61 Retired

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 prietosky

prietosky

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:26 PM

I everyone, i just been retired form the army with 80% permanent disability after 6 years, all combat related injuries. 90% service connected from VA. my question is,what benefits do i will have and if i could be able to received the both, army retired pencion and VA compensation. comments will be welcome. THANKS

Advertise Here

#2 SP4RVN1971

SP4RVN1971

E-6 Petty Officer 1st Class

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:03 PM

Welcome Aboard, there is a lot of great people here!

They can help you with your problem's as they help mePosted Image !

#3 justrluk

justrluk

E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officer

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:12 AM

Well, to start: Welcome! Did you apply for CRSC? If so, you should get both payments. As a retiree, you have access to military MWR facilities, PX, Commissary, etc. Remember to get dependent/spouse ID cards as they'll have access, too.

#4 DblTap1

DblTap1

E-3 Seaman

• Third Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:13 PM

You will not receive both. Initially you will receive DoD PDRL pay until VA pay starts. VA pay will then pay in place of DoD. In other words, if you Dod pay was $2,000 and VA was $1,500, you would receive a total of $2,000. If it was the other way and Dod paid at $1,500 and VA at $2,000, you would get $2,000.

If you show a high enough combat related injury/injuries you may qualify for CRSC which would be additional to either your Dod or VA pay.

I was recently retired TDRL at 70% and will soon be receiving DoD TDRL pay. Once approved I will be receiving CRSC and once adjudicated I will be receiving VA in place of DoD... At least that how I understand it.

Thanks for your service!

#5 etihwr

etihwr

E-3 Seaman

• Third Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 09:30 AM

There is an exception to the rule about getting both CRSC and CRDP. If you a Ch 61 retiree, you get both. You can call any of the Wounded Warrior program officer (Military non non-profit) and they will verify this). I used to work for the Army Wounded Warrior Program at Walter Reed (in DC). This has been in place since 2008. So if your an E4, your getting retirement pay, VA comp and CRSC. You should also apply for SSDI. You can get that too especially if your on active duty. If turned down for SSDI, hire an attorney. Yes they take 20%, but they wouldn't take the case if they didn't think they could win. It is better to have 80% of something than 100% of nothing.

#6 Berta

Berta

HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• SVR
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28827 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:16 AM

“Retirees cannot receive both Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC) and Concurrent Retirement and Disability Pay (CRDP). If you quality for both, DFAS will automatically apply the entitlement that is most advantageous to you. Every year, during Open Season, you'll have the opportunity to change your election. Open season usually takes place in January. “

http://www.dfas.mil/...comparison.html

#7 carlie

carlie

Moderator/Admin/HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Admin
  • 22178 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:51 PM

There is an exception to the rule about getting both CRSC and CRDP. If you a Ch 61 retiree, you get both. You can call any of the Wounded Warrior program officer (Military non non-profit) and they will verify this). I used to work for the Army Wounded Warrior Program at Walter Reed (in DC). This has been in place since 2008. So if your an E4, your getting retirement pay, VA comp and CRSC. You should also apply for SSDI. You can get that too especially if your on active duty. If turned down for SSDI, hire an attorney. Yes they take 20%, but they wouldn't take the case if they didn't think they could win. It is better to have 80% of something than 100% of nothing.

etihwr,
If you are on active duty or if you are working you will not receive a fully favorable decision
from SSA, for SSDI benefits.

If you have a link that supports your statement above - please post it.

#8 fiasco007

fiasco007

E-4 Petty Officer 3rd Class

• Second Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:17 PM

etihwr,
If you are on active duty or if you are working you will not receive a fully favorable decision

If you have a link that supports your statement above - please post it.

Carlie,

If you go to the SSN/SSDI site, there is a Military button at the top and a Q&A that says you can get it. I'm not home so I dont have the link, when I get back I will try to post it. Also, when I was going through my C&P exam in Sacramento, I bumped into some wounded warrior guys who had a troop that was getting it. I know thats just "he said she said" but they were the ones who originally turned me on to the idea.

I applied about 2 months ago and i'm still active. So in anothe few months I will be able to tell you if I get it or not.

#9 fiasco007

fiasco007

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:27 PM

Here we go. scroll down and there is a question "what if I remain on active duty?"

http://www.socialsec...warriors/#a0=12

Now, I dont know if this is in anticipationof being discharged/retired, but it does say you can recieve and be active. BUT I believe you had to have earned your credits over the last several years or something or another. I know when you apply, it will tell you if you have earned enough.

Edited by fiasco007, 28 July 2012 - 03:28 PM.

#10 carlie

carlie

• Admin
  • 22178 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 04:31 PM

Carlie,

If you go to the SSN/SSDI site, there is a Military button at the top and a Q&A that says you can get it. I'm not home so I dont have the link, when I get back I will try to post it. Also, when I was going through my C&P exam in Sacramento, I bumped into some wounded warrior guys who had a troop that was getting it. I know thats just "he said she said" but they were the ones who originally turned me on to the idea.

I applied about 2 months ago and i'm still active. So in anothe few months I will be able to tell you if I get it or not.

I went and checked it out and as I understand it, relates to expedited processing of SSA claims
for wounded warriors still on active duty.

http://ssa.gov/woundedwarriors/#a0=3

It supports expedited processing, but if the active duty service member is doing their
regular active duty work, it does not provide support for a fully favorable decision

How does military pay affect eligibility for disability benefits?

Active duty status and receipt of military pay does not, in itself, necessarily prevent payment of Social Security disability benefits. Receipt of military payments should never stop you from applying for disability benefits from Social Security. If you are receiving treatment at a military medical facility and working in a designated therapy program or on limited duty, we will evaluate your work activity to determine your eligibility for benefits.

Active duty status and receipt of military pay does not, in itself, necessarily prevent payment of Social Security disability benefits. Receipt of military payments should never stop you from applying for disability benefits from Social Security. If you are receiving treatment at a military medical facility and working in a designated therapy program or on limited duty, we will evaluate your work activity to determine your eligibility for benefits.

You cannot receive Social Security disability benefits if you engage in substantial work for pay or profit. However, the actual work activity is the controlling factor and not the amount of pay you receive or your military duty status.

#11 fiasco007

fiasco007

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:30 PM

I went and checked it out and as I understand it, relates to expedited processing of SSA claims
for wounded warriors still on active duty.

http://ssa.gov/woundedwarriors/#a0=3

It supports expedited processing, but if the active duty service member is doing their
regular active duty work, it does not provide support for a fully favorable decision

How does military pay affect eligibility for disability benefits?

You cannot receive Social Security disability benefits if you engage in substantial work for pay or profit. However, the actual work activity is the controlling factor and not the amount of pay you receive or your military duty status.

Thats what I was looking for. I think they will pay you if you are on your way out, "like i said before, I know the guy, who knows the guy, who knows the guy..." But I dont imagine that they would continue to pay you if you are on active duty.

Me, for example. applied about 2 months ago. If I start to recieve benefits in the next few months, I will let you know. According to their rules, I do qualify due to limited duty, being treated at a mil facilty, and have a dimenished work activity/profile. When I appeal my med board, i could possibly still be active for another year and 1/2, if SSDI will still pay me then? I dont know but I will be sure to tell everyone if they do.

#12 broncovet

broncovet

E-9 Master Chief Petty Officer

• Master Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3666 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:48 AM

I think Berta explained it well.

There is a difference between Social Security Disability and social security retirement.

In other words, you could be retired with social security, say at age 65, and still be working in the military, tho this would not happen often.

However, if you had special skills the military needed, they may not care if you are over 65..they may keep you on.

But..No..I dont think you can get social security disability while working. You are looking at Social Security retirement, not social security disability. The rules for retirement are different than the rules for diabled, in at least some ways.

#13 fiasco007

fiasco007

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:55 PM

I think Berta explained it well.

There is a difference between Social Security Disability and social security retirement.

In other words, you could be retired with social security, say at age 65, and still be working in the military, tho this would not happen often.

However, if you had special skills the military needed, they may not care if you are over 65..they may keep you on.

But..No..I dont think you can get social security disability while working. You are looking at Social Security retirement, not social security disability. The rules for retirement are different than the rules for diabled, in at least some ways.

You can actually work, but there are rules as to how many hours/salery type thing within so many months up to so many years. I believe it is based on the local poverty level for your area. BUT, there are exceptions to the rule, like being self employed, and owning your own business.

Edited by fiasco007, 29 July 2012 - 04:01 PM.

#14 Berta

Berta

HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• SVR
  • 28827 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:48 AM

Broncovet- It was Carlie who explained the SSA/SSDI factor very well-

I only posted the DFAS info

Fiasco007 is correct that some SSDI recipients can have limited work income. I imagine that is on a case by case basis.

I know a vet who was able to do that and he had to report his wages to SSDI..After his “trial” period he ended up making more then “substantial “ employment and he had quite a battle with SSDI over it and had to get a lawyer.
I believe SSDI requires wage statements throughout work periods while receiving SSDI.

http://ssa-custhelp....bility-benefits

<a name="rn_Summary">"Working while receiving Social Security disability benefits

Updated 06/29/2012 04:10 PM | ID# 317
Can I work while receiving Social Security disability without losing my benefits?

We have special rules that allow people who get Social Security disability benefits to work without loosing their monthly benefits.
A trial work period allows you to test your ability to work for at least nine months and receive full Social Security benefits regardless of how much you are earning as long as you disabled.
After your trial work period, you are allowed a period of 36 months during which you can work and still receive benefits for any month your earnings are not substantial."

#15 fiasco007

fiasco007

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:06 AM

I have heard of people who get it and own their own business. Since SSDI isnt dependant on your income, but more so how much you can work, you can do this and get away with it totally legal.

Just because you own a bar/resteraunt or whatever, doesnt mean you are slaving away 12 or more hours a day. Someone else might be, but not neccessarily you. I also read something about a guy who was on SSDI and owned a daycare. He only worked a few hours a day, and had a quite room to laydown in when he felt like it.

#16 carlie

carlie

• Admin
  • 22178 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:25 AM

I have heard of people who get it and own their own business. Since SSDI isnt dependant on your income, but more so how much you can work, you can do this and get away with it totally legal.

Just because you own a bar/resteraunt or whatever, doesnt mean you are slaving away 12 or more hours a day. Someone else might be, but not neccessarily you. I also read something about a guy who was on SSDI and owned a daycare. He only worked a few hours a day, and had a quite room to laydown in when he felt like it.

fiasco,
Many times it does not pay to listen to what one hears or reads.

If one is in receipt of SSDI benefits and owns their own business,
and even if they have employees doing all the work,
this is considered substantial gainful activity and at sometime,
action will be taken to sever the SSDI benefits.

In some circumstances - SSA will decide the claimant has been overpaid due to this
and SSA will find a way to recover their money.

#17 fiasco007

fiasco007

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:01 PM

fiasco,
Many times it does not pay to listen to what one hears or reads.

If one is in receipt of SSDI benefits and owns their own business,
and even if they have employees doing all the work,
this is considered substantial gainful activity and at sometime,
action will be taken to sever the SSDI benefits.

In some circumstances - SSA will decide the claimant has been overpaid due to this
and SSA will find a way to recover their money.

Your might very well be right. But the site even says its not about income. Its about be able to perform substantial work.

#18 carlie

carlie

• Admin
  • 22178 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:24 AM

Your might very well be right. But the site even says its not about income. Its about be able to perform substantial work.

I will say to all - Hey - Go For It - If that's the path you want to take.

#19 fiasco007

fiasco007

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:15 PM

I'm with you Carlie, if anyone can find something concrete regarding this, please share and I will advise the people I know for/against it.

Advertise Here