Photo
- - - - -

From Today's Usa Today

army mental illness cases

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 deanbrt

deanbrt

E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officer

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:07 PM

see following article

http://www.usatoday....ords/55406756/1

#2 Pete53

Pete53

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21601 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:19 PM

Thanks for posting. Article deals with DOD reviewing 190'000 files of discharged military to see if they were shortchanged on benefits.

#3 71M10

71M10

• 1215 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:26 PM

I guess this gives new meaning to the term 90 day wonder!

With 190,000 files to review this means they will only have to review an average of 2,111 files a day. If they put 100 FTE's on this each file will have to be reviewed in approximately 20 minutes.

Does anyone really think they are going to put anywhere near 100 bodies on this?

Does anyone really think this review is going to be complete?

Sure looks like lipstick on a pig, whatever color or shade is applied, it still is a pig underneath!

Best regards,

#4 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 21851 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:37 AM

If the military looked back over last 50 years they would probably find 100,000 cases where mentally ill servicemen and women were discharged as PD's, pre-existing conditions, bad conduct etc. Why just look from 2001. Many RVN vets with roaring cases of PTSD were booted out as PD's. After Vietnam the military downsized and what better way to do it than boot sick soldiers out as PD's. You get an Article 15 for missing formation and you become sociopath and get the boot.

#5 justrluk

justrluk

• 745 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:28 PM

Sounds like CYA for the PDBR discrepancies between VA ratings and medical discharge ratings across the board.

#6 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 21851 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:50 PM

I remember the army kicked me out after my tour in Vietnam saying I had a PD. The VA said I was schizophrenic and depressed and gave me low ball rating effective the day after discharge. I went from being "bad" to being "crazy" in one day. The quality of care and diagnosis in the military and VA was so poor and so guided by the desire to avoid liability that I must believe what happened to me happened to many thousands. The VA never even asked if I was employed. I spent weeks in VA psychiatric ward. I wonder if they thought I was on vacation. I had no visitors ,but escaped one night. Good thing or I would still be there.

John

#7 retiredat44

retiredat44

• 763 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:22 PM

If the military looked back over last 50 years they would probably find 100,000 cases where mentally ill servicemen and women were discharged as PD's, pre-existing conditions, bad conduct etc. Why just look from 2001. Many RVN vets with roaring cases of PTSD were booted out as PD's. After Vietnam the military downsized and what better way to do it than boot sick soldiers out as PD's. You get an Article 15 for missing formation and you become sociopath and get the boot.

when I was in they were hell bent on keeping some really bad people,, the people who drank and fought wer enot kicked out until they were sent through re-habs, and theymight have lost a stripe, but the usaf kept them at al costs,, these people made the good gi's miserable because of their drinking and fighting making the lives of others miserable.. after they had a year of counseling and all avenues of help were exhausted then, they got the boot,, but after they had scerewed with everyone else in their path... but that was from the 1970's and 1980's. The command did everything they could to keep everyone... but some people were just out of control... you can't have out of control people ruining the lives of others just to meet some quota..