Search

Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup
@  vet201060 : (22 August 2014 - 10:29 AM) Thanks For The Info
@  carlie : (22 August 2014 - 10:03 AM) Vet201060 - No The Vso Does Not Represent The Va. Also - Best To Post Questions To The Board.
@  babyray : (21 August 2014 - 07:15 AM) Dc
@  rootbeer22 : (20 August 2014 - 02:19 PM) Buddy Statements
@  IraqVet : (19 August 2014 - 07:02 PM) Anyone Recieveing Letters From Vfw To Applay For Tricare And Campava Supplimantal Insurance When You Do Not Have 100% Yet....mines Pending But I Wonder If They Know Something I Dont
@  Detonator : (19 August 2014 - 10:51 AM) Insomnia
@  jbasser : (18 August 2014 - 08:29 PM) Folks, Dont Miss The Hadit Radio Show Wed At 1Pm Eastern. The Basser Hour.
@  Thadine : (18 August 2014 - 12:23 PM) Nod
@  carlie : (18 August 2014 - 08:37 AM) Notapb1 - Might Get More Replies If You Post The Questions Into The Forums.
@  notapb1 : (18 August 2014 - 07:26 AM) Looking For Feedback. I Have Applied For Iu. Was Told To Come In For A Psych Eval And Diabetes Clinic. Received A Call From Va They Were Cancelling The Psych Eval As The Doc(?) Who Did It In March(Ptsd Increase) Was Asked For His Opinion And He Was Going To Submit That. This Is The Same Individual Who Told Me Off The Record About Iu And To Contact My Service Officer. Sounds Positive To Me, But I May Be A Little Bias. Thoughts?
@  waltbarb : (16 August 2014 - 08:35 PM) Appeal
@  MarkInTexas : (16 August 2014 - 04:49 PM) Just Testing This "shout" Thing....... Have A Great Weekend Everybody!
@  Notorious Kelly : (16 August 2014 - 04:40 PM) I Reset Firefox And Now Can Read- Probably Kok Issue (Kitties On The Keyboard)
@  Notorious Kelly : (16 August 2014 - 04:25 PM) I Couldn't Read Posts So I Changed Theme To Ipboard Mobile. Now I Can Read And It Says Hadit Custom
@  carlie : (16 August 2014 - 03:32 PM) Raymondb50 - Probably Better To Post Your Question To The Board.
@  carlie : (16 August 2014 - 03:15 PM) Raymondbb50 - What Is It That You Want ?
@  raymondb50 : (15 August 2014 - 09:47 PM) How Do I Change Member Title And Group Info In My Profile?
@  carlie : (15 August 2014 - 08:37 PM) Just Saying Hi To All
@  WoundedWarrior : (14 August 2014 - 08:50 AM) Got Unofficial Word From The Vso - Unofficially Approved For Tdiu, Effective Date 6/3/2014
@  mrmark1999 : (13 August 2014 - 06:23 PM) Ok When You Call The 1800 # You Feel Like They Allways Have Heavy Call Volume

Photo

Line Of Duty Lod Investigation.

line of duty investigation

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 doc-up8404

doc-up8404

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 90%
  • Branch of Service: USN

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:43 AM

Hello all,

I am a Reservist who got back from Afghanistan in Jan 2012. I just completed my PDHRA interview. During that interview I had mentioned how I was blown up and suffered a MTBI. I also stated the VA has diagnosed me with PTSD since I've been back. One thing I "finally" admitted to was that I've had thoughts of suicide. This had been something I've been carrying around with me since I've been back. I have (to this point) told everyone I've met that I am NOT suicidal. But, my buddy convinced me to tell someone, so I did. Anyways, I have not filed a claim or anything like that, I have only been seeing a shrink and now I start group sessions next week. Sorry I digress.

Anyways, like I said I did my Post Deployment Health "Re" Assessment (PDHRA) interview yesterday and this morning I get an email saying your PDHRA indicated pursuing a line of duty (LOD). When are you available to come in and get the process started.

I never mentioned pursuing anything though? I think I get what a "line of duty" is from my google search but I see a lot of examples pertaining to libbo incidents and stuff like that. I mean I just got back from a combat deployment I received my CAR and a Purple Heart. Is it pretty safe to say I have nothing to worry about? Or should I get an attorney? Again I just know what I've researched on google.

Can anyone give me advice on this LOD INVESTIGATION and if it's bad that I never mentioned telling these people that I've contemplated suicide? This stuff is tough to even type, let alone voice on a public forum but, I've done a lot of research on this site and I think it's for the greater good. Thanks.

Advertise Here

#2 Notorious Kelly

Notorious Kelly

E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officer

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1117 posts
  • Branch of Service: USAF

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:18 AM

Doc,

Welcome home and thank you for your service!

Good on you for baring your self on the forum; we know that's not easy.

More knowledgable folks than I should chime in on this. Just wanted you to know we're glad that you're here. Posted Image

#3 alphahec

alphahec

E-4 Petty Officer 3rd Class

• Second Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 60%
  • Branch of Service: USA

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:16 AM

Something similar happened to me, I had various ailments which were not considered as Service Related, until I applied for a LOD. Apparently although you may have documentation that your injuries happened while on duty, if you are in the Reserves or National Guard it is not considered for DOD retirement without a approved LOD. You may be planning to stay for 20 years, but medically the system may find that you are unretainable.

I suggest that you request a LOD, and have it approved by your command. It should be pretty open and shut as you have more that enough documentation/evidence. The process is diferrent depending on what service you served in and your command.

Welcome back, thanks for your service, and good luck!

#4 doc-up8404

doc-up8404

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:04 AM

Alphahec,

Dam dude that will sux if they don't retain me. This is exactly why I've been so hush hush about my mental health issue because I DO want to stay in and finish my 20 to get the pension and to be able to transfer my GI Bill to my kid. I guess there is no going back on what I've said now. Like you said I have plenty of documentation in my record and the awards and everything so I don't see how any of this could not be service related? I mean I personally know it is but who are they to say yes or no? I just read the word "investigation" and get worried even though I didn't do anything wrong. Just old habits I guess.

#5 Hamslice

Hamslice

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 70%

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:02 AM

Doc,

LOD, Line of Duty, is nothing to worry about. I have 4 or 5 in my medical file from National Guard training. You actually need them so the VA will even look at injury or illness, etc. It proves that what you are claiming happened while on duty for training.

As for anything that happened to you on active duty (while deployed), youre DD214 proves you were on active duty and everything in you medical record from that time period is covered.

The National Guard (and probably Reserve) is different then being on active duty in the eyes of the VA. They shun or shy away from non-traditional Soldiers, trust me, I know on this. However, you need to play their game. Just tell them active duty, as your DD214 will be from that and that got you eligible for VA compensation. The LOD from your reserve training is still covered by the VA, its just their people don't comprehend this.

Also, some Guard units State HQ's do LOD's even when the unit is deployed to make sure the Soldier is taken care of. I think this is to make sure the Soldier is fit to stay in the Guard.

Also, you can get VA disability compensation and still be a active Guard member, however, it will offset you Guard pay. So, in some instances, you may be working for nub.

The bottom line is, when a non-traditional Soldier is at home between drills and gets injured, he is not covered by the VA for compensation, however when a active duty Soldier is at home, not at the base, fort or war, and is injured, he is covered. 24/7.

I was both for many years and know for what I speak. At least I think so :)

Hamslice

#6 alphahec

alphahec

• PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 60%

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:49 AM

doc-up8404,

Don't worry about anything, it's just paperwork that you should have just in case. The important this is that you are getting your treatment!!!

#7 iraqx2

iraqx2

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Interests:Travel, poker, helping Veterans, and being an awesome father to my kids.
  • Service Connected Disability: 100%

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:16 AM

Hey Brother. Welcome back.

First thing First, we share many things, I've been there too, no matter how bad it is and what your thoughts are....DO NOT HURT YOURSELF OR ANYONE ELSE.

I've been back from Iraq and got out back in 2005. I am now 100%, it was not easy getting here, proving it step by step was the challenge, while trying to get better.

Looking back at this entire process, the BEST thing I had to validate my claims and substantiate on what has happened to me ( aside from going to medical appointments ) was the line of duty slip. Yes, that little dirty slip from the MASH unit I forgottenly tucked away in my rugsack played a HUGE role in my claims.

Make no mistake about it, the more evidence you have from the military side, the better the claims with the VA will be.

Keep up with all your appointments with the VA, be in their system, and get the help that is being offered.

Good luck.

PS- Make sure you switch your SGLI to VGLI before its too late

#8 doc-up8404

doc-up8404

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:55 PM

A lot of great information to consider. I will def look into getting my LOD's out of the way for my PTSD, TINNITUS, MTBI, and MIGRAINES. Treatment is ok but, I don;t like "group" therapy. I know that's not what my post is about but I'm just saying. Anyways, thanks as always for the help it's appreciated brothers.

#9 Commander Bob

Commander Bob

E-9 Master Chief Petty Officer

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1613 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 120%

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:49 PM

A lot of great information to consider. I will def look into getting my LOD's out of the way for my PTSD, TINNITUS, MTBI, and MIGRAINES. Treatment is ok but, I don;t like "group" therapy. I know that's not what my post is about but I'm just saying. Anyways, thanks as always for the help it's appreciated brothers.

Greetings 'doc-up8404'. As a fellow combat wounded vet, I am glad to hear you are seeking treatment. Please keep us posted on your situation.

My most positive thoughts are with you.

Bob

#10 Sergent Emmons

Sergent Emmons

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 100%
  • Branch of Service: US Army

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:41 PM

Well the first step is admitting it, The fact your are getting counsiling at the VA is a plus. But an LOD investigation is nothing more than gather information for your case or in your case for your future case. You not in any kind of trouble for sure,but since you have addmitted being suicidal you more than likely to be medicaly discharged. That will not happen till you have been treated and are at a stable state both physicaly and mentaly. I went through this process and it can be advisarial at times as far as the military goes. Make sure you get all the help you need to recover while still in the Military. Keep and make copies of all your records!!!!!! you may need them and as you depart the military get all original coppies as well, the VA will want them.
It's a hard thing to admit you need help, especially since your so used to giving help to others. I commend you for doing that and not ending up another statistic.
At this time there is no need for an Attorney let the military do thier thing. just keep track of what is going on you have a long process ahead of you and patience is the key. Good luck and as you go through this process you can ask me for help or guidence I will let you know all I know as I spent 2 years in recovery and I am now 18 months into my VA claim which is almost complete.

#11 Kadyrmacias

Kadyrmacias

• PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Branch of Service: USAR

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:09 PM

Get ur LOD's you will need them, trust me. Your story is kind of similar to mine, the only problem that I have to battle for a purple hart . However, regardless the weight that you carry can become more suicidal thought the years trust me.

#12 Kadyrmacias

Kadyrmacias

• PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Branch of Service: USAR

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:31 PM

Get ur LOD's you will need them, trust me. Your story is kind of similar to mine, the only problem that I have to battle for a purple hart . However, regardless the weight that you carry can become more suicidal throughout the years trust me, get help as soon as possible

#13 qwiksting

qwiksting

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 80%

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:33 PM

Very similar situation here. I was discharged without a LOD, was rated 70% ptsd as a result from OIF2. I was in the Guard. They sent me to the retired reserve without a LOD. I sent a packet to ABCMR to try and get that fixed to disable retire. I got a letter back from the dept of the army with an advisory opinion from the Guard bureau. The NGB said to bring me back on duty to get a LOD and meb. I wrote back to the ABCMR requesting a disability retirement immediately with the proper 199 form. The Army said the Guard did not have the authority to discharge me the way they did and that because the Guard said more than likely I suffered ptsd in Iraq, they offered to bring me back in. I had 18 years 9 months, E7.  I am awaiting the board descision now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertise Here