E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officer

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • Interests:God, Family and Country!
  • Service Connected Disability: 100%
  • Branch of Service: USAF

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:48 AM

My Doctor wants me to start taking Nuvigil because even though I use my CPAP machine every night, I still fall asleep during the day. But, the side affects are very bad. Does any one else take it? Experiences?

Papa

#2 SP4RVN1971

SP4RVN1971

E-6 Petty Officer 1st Class

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Interests:Living,smiling, and specially Praying! Being with my family. Picture of CVN-69 EISENHOWER another tour of FUN for my son!
  • Service Connected Disability: 100+
  • Branch of Service: US ARMY

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:19 AM

I was reading the side effect! You better be careful. Have you Google this medicine.

God bless

#3 abean

abean

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: none
  • Branch of Service: air force

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:27 AM

My husband took it for a while. He didn't have any side effects, but it did lose it's effectiveness after taking it for about 6 months. He was on Provigil before and it did the same thing.

#4 c-vet1982

c-vet1982

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 10
  • Branch of Service: ARMY

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:00 AM

I was given a prescription of 150 mg's of Nuvigil but my main side effects are insomnia so I now take 25-30 mg's as needed for my chronic fatigue ...

-CP

#5 broncovet

broncovet

E-9 Master Chief Petty Officer

• Master Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3597 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 100
  • Branch of Service: USN

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:52 PM

The first thing would be to make sure the CPAP is working. Sometimes the sleep doc has to tweak the number of pounds of air pressure to get it working properly.

Of course, the CPAP mask also has to fit properly and be comfortable without leaks. If the air leaks out then it wont be effective at opening your airway, and you will have apnea events even with the cpap on.

You may have to "switch" masks...there are many for different people. I use nasal pillows, which works great for me.

Some people like or need the moisture added to the cpap. While I started with the moisture, I quit the moisture part after about a month.

You also have to clean the CPAP mask and hose regurarly. I clean mine with rubbing alcohol, pouring it in the hose/mask. Then I plug in the machine to dry out the remaining rubbing alcohol. You can also wash it with water and or soap. Soap is not good for me. I use rubbing alcohol.
Of course there is a filter in the cpap that also needs cleaned.

I clean my cpap about once a week, some do it more or less.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users