Search

Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup
@  artlouis : (27 August 2014 - 11:36 AM) Code 7019
@  vet201060 : (26 August 2014 - 11:41 PM) Damn Post It Notes
@  vet201060 : (26 August 2014 - 11:41 PM) True That
@  Asiadaug : (26 August 2014 - 07:46 PM) I Have Yet To Deal With Any Piece Of Va That Isn't A Dysfunctional Mess...ebenefits, Claim Filing, Billing...and To Think Our Tax Dollars Are Used To Perpetuate That Calamity!
@  carlie : (26 August 2014 - 05:39 PM) notorious kelly - loved your shout ! ! !
@  GlassRose1500 : (26 August 2014 - 03:40 PM) Would Someone Add Smc Housbound Plus Smc A&a Regular And One Smc K For Me? I Can't Seem To Do That Math!
@  Notorious Kelly : (26 August 2014 - 03:12 PM) Ebenefits Is Not A Thermometer In The Rectum Of Your Claim; It Is A Post-It Note That May Or Not Be Updated Or Accurate. Try Not To Obsess ;)
@  mcassidy : (26 August 2014 - 01:25 PM) Osa
@  Jaluluah11B : (26 August 2014 - 10:05 AM) My Reconsideration Finally Showed Up On Ebenefits As A New Claim.  gathering Evidence.  [font=Arial][size=3]Automated 5103 Notice Response Needed. [/size][/font]
@  vet201060 : (26 August 2014 - 10:00 AM) Went From Pending Decision Approval To Review Of Evidence Today, I Need To Stop Looking At It. Drives You Crazy Waiting
@  GlassRose1500 : (25 August 2014 - 09:30 PM) @coriemboh I Get My Best Claim Advice Here, But My Dav Guy Gets The Best Intel Once The Claim Is Filed
@  coriemboh : (25 August 2014 - 08:57 PM) The Average Processing Time Is 9 Months More Or Less. Every Time I Call The 800#, I Get A Different Answer. Goe, Roe....make Up Your Mind!
@  coriemboh : (25 August 2014 - 08:56 PM) I Just Want To Know Ballpark Figure Of How Much Longer My Claim Will Take. The Bills Are Piling Up. Adds To My Anxiety And Depression. Sure Wish I Could Tell Bill Collectors The Same Things Va Tells Me!
@  coriemboh : (25 August 2014 - 08:54 PM) @glassrose1500-No, I Don't. I Put In For Representation A Few Days Ago, But I'm Sure That End Won't Pan Out Until The Claim Is Closed.
@  GlassRose1500 : (25 August 2014 - 12:11 PM) Would Appreciate Feedback On My Smc Draft - Posted In The Smc Section! Tkx!
@  GlassRose1500 : (25 August 2014 - 12:04 PM) @coriemboh - Do You Have A Service Rep You Can Call? They Usually Have More Info...
@  coriemboh : (25 August 2014 - 11:16 AM) Called The 800 # To Check Status Of Claim. Really Frustrated With The Lack Of Information.
@  vet201060 : (25 August 2014 - 10:12 AM) Just Checked Ebenefits And Claim Was Pending Decision Approval And Then Checked Few Minutes After That And Now Prep For Decision. Drives Me Crazy
@  coriemboh : (24 August 2014 - 10:00 PM) Anyone Else Having A Hard Time With Evet Updates? Mine Is Taking Forever!
@  SSG O : (23 August 2014 - 08:03 PM) Love This Site

Photo
- - - - -

Just Got Proposed Rating! Need Advice Fast!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 fiasco007

fiasco007

E-4 Petty Officer 3rd Class

• Second Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:16 PM

I'm still active with 18 1/2 years time of service. I just recieved my MEB/VA decision a few minutes ago;

AF/DOD - 30% PERMANENT RETIRMENT (not marked as combat related)
VA - PROPOSED 90% (the % are in my sig block)

What do I do/what would you do? Do i fight this? I'm really happy with the 90%, but i am not over 20 years time in service so i dont think i will get concurrent reciept? Even with the full/permanent retirement, I sill wont collect both. Or will I?

I have 10 days to turn in the paper work, all suggestions and reccomendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Advertise Here

#2 carlie

carlie

Moderator/Admin/HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22036 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:25 PM

18 1/2 years - I'd sure as heck get my 20 in before a discharge !
JMHO

#3 Teac

Teac

E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officer

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1158 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:09 AM

I don't know how many time you have left on your enlistment.. but You should fight them for more disability and try to make it too 20 at the same time.

Also if the va rates you 90% then the Military should too because they use the same rating guide. The military is low balling you.

Also looking at your disabilities none of them alone and even together look like thay prevent you from doing your job in combat.

I wonder why are you being offered a medical retirement? Did you have a profile that required you to be boarded?

Also you will not get retirement and va compensation unless you have 20 years. And you will not get combated related compensation since it doesn't appear any of your conditions are combat related.

Realy... you should fight your retirement and try to make it to 20 years.

the va compensation is going to be there no matter when you get out, but you really need to fight for the 20 year retirment,, if you don't you will wonder for the rest of your life if you did the right thing.

I was medically retired in 1986, I had just over 15 years and got 30%. Until a few years ago I did not get one penny of my Army retirement,

I now get it all as combant related compensation, but it doesn't look like you will get combat related. I got out and went to work for civil service and retired again using my Military time toward civil service retirment.

Today I am not rich, but I do better than a lot of people, and I don't really want for anything except I have always wondered if I should have fought harder to stay and complete 20 years.. I did fight for two years, but my enlistment wasn't up until 18 years and one month, and i should have at least fought until the end of my enlistment,.. I will forever regret my early retirement and you will too..

Don't let the military screw you and don't accept 30% when the va says you should be rated 90%.

#4 Berta

Berta

HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• SVR
  • 28621 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:10 AM

If you did not sign and accept the lowball 30% MEB rating, then you have the right to appeal it.

Also here s the CRPD CRSC criteria:

http://www.dfas.mil/...ility/crsc.html

http://www.dfas.mil/...ility/crdp.html

We have links here to to PEBLO and MEB info and if you google How to appeal a MEB rating" you will find lots of info and the fact that you are not alone with this ludicrous rating.

I am a civilian but isn't there someone on base (such as JAG ) who is there to help with appeals of MEB decisions?

#5 Berta

Berta

HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• SVR
  • 28621 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:14 AM

There might be help here:

http://www.pebforum....force-forum.63/

Cripes one guy at that forum had a rating run down that looked like potential TDIU and the AF gave him 20%!

This stuff needs action before you sign and turn in that form.

#6 Rob m

Rob m

• PipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:30 AM

You need to stall as long as possible. Take the maximum time on all appeals, request ect.. Maybe you can conviently lose the papers and request additional. Go on leave for awhile, report to sick call and get put on quarters.

I don't recall the exact reg, but there is something out there that states if you make it to 19 years, they cannot discharge you early (prior to 20 years)

Stall, do your homework and if all else fails, go talk to your commander, I believe most will accomodate you.

#7 Reddit

Reddit

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• First Class Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:01 AM

YES, you need to try and make it to 20 years. Appeal it and try to retire at 20 years of service.

Plus, do you have a CPAP machine., if not sleep apnea with cpap machine will give you 50 percent, instead of thirty., and that might help you get to 100 percent from the va.

#8 Commander Bob

Commander Bob

E-9 Master Chief Petty Officer

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1613 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:47 AM

I'm still active with 18 1/2 years time of service. I just recieved my MEB/VA decision a few minutes ago;

AF/DOD - 30% PERMANENT RETIRMENT (not marked as combat related)
VA - PROPOSED 90% (the % are in my sig block)

What do I do/what would you do? Do i fight this? I'm really happy with the 90%, but i am not over 20 years time in service so i dont think i will get concurrent reciept? Even with the full/permanent retirement, I sill wont collect both. Or will I?

You are so close. Career, "full/permanent retirement" will get you that CRDP.

Edited by Commander Bob, 27 July 2012 - 01:50 PM.

#9 justrluk

justrluk

• 813 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:57 AM

Get your 20. By the time you finish fignting/appeals, you'll be even closer.

#10 mags1023

mags1023

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:32 PM

Defiitely fight as hard as you can to extend your career to 20. You haven't replied on why they are medically retiring you?? You have no rating for depression/mood disorder. Is that what they are discharging you for? That should definitely be rated. If all else is failing, lawyer up and get your congressman involved!

#11 fiasco007

fiasco007

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:13 PM

Sorry for the lack of responses guys, I had to go out a tip back a couple of cool ones last night to celebrate. Anyway,

I originally herniated a disc back in 03, I was med boarded but returned to duty. About a year and a half ago, the problem fully returned. in 2010 I had surgery and was recovering, but hurt my back again. Long story short. I was on profile for a long time. So now here I am, med boarded again and trying to stretch out th next year and half.

The reason why the AF/DOD low balls people on the ratings, and why there rating is different from the VA, is because they only rate you for the unfitting/med boarded condition, and not your overall health. In my case, the VA rated my back as 20 & 10, and the AF uses this for their rating of 20/10 for an overall rating of 28, which = 30 when rounded.

#12 fiasco007

fiasco007

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:14 PM

So, if the military grants you a "permenant retirment" before 20, do you get concurrent reciept?

#13 rpowell01

rpowell01

E-6 Petty Officer 1st Class

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:46 PM

fiasco007,

Here is my story so maybe it will help you. I was given 20% for lower back and I accepted it. I didn't know my rights whenever all of this stuff was happening. I should have declined it because the MEB didn't even mention my cervical and thoracic spine issues. I didn't know better so its my fault. So, before you agree to it you need to make sure they have included everything on the MEB. And remember this any severance pay you get from all of this will be recouped by the VA, there is noway around it. If I were in your shoes I would decline the proposal but you better be on your toes as to why you are declining it. Do your homework and research. You have a legal right to see the guidelines so ask for them and see if they are "low balling" you. I was and I put all the blame on myself. As for the 18 1/2 years verses 20 that is something big to think about.

#14 Teac

Teac

• 1158 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:31 PM

So, if the military grants you a "permenant retirment" before 20, do you get concurrent reciept?

NO!!!

#15 fiasco007

fiasco007

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:52 PM

Thanks for the help everybody. This has been a long and strenious process so far, and i'm only about half way through it. The good part, is that all the work I have done for the past several years in regards to getting all my medical issues documented appears to have paid off with the 90% rating. At least for now anyways.

I'm being told that appealing the AF rating will probably get me another 6 months, and then appealing the next decision/Sec of the AF will get me another 14 months give or take a couple here and there. I'm just going to appeal everything and ride it out.

#16 etcm

etcm

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:59 PM

NO!!!

I thought there were some early retirees (15+ years) that are drawing CRDP also?

#17 Sergent Emmons

Sergent Emmons

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:45 AM

Appealing it is your best option - glad to see your going to do it,,you will just be on prifile while your in that process so life will be good.

I have went through that whole pocess and it's a pain but use the judge advocate system. they will right the letters for you as they did for me.

if your haveing issue with any doctor doing your examination use the umbuds man...caution here...the unbuds man is a very powerful induvidual in your process so use him/her with care and have your ducks in row..I used one and things happen swiftly and with vigor lol

you wwill not get concuurent reciept with out 20yrs or having it combat related...

every thing the VA rated should be on the MEB even if they say no rating or retainable! forght for that as will may need that in the future.

You are your own best advicate in this process and you have to be ready to stand your ground as no one else will fight for you.

the MEB process is an advisarial one and be prepared for them to tell you to just sign or that it's all you can get..they will say whatever to get the process over and you out of thier way.

Sgt Emmons Ret 80% Army 100% VA

Advertise Here