Jump to content


Sign In or Register to post to our forums. Registration not required to read and search our forums.

HadIt.com Podcast Click Here Live and Archived Shows

- - - - -

Va Benefits And Medical Retirement

medical retirement va benefits

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 RTC


    E-2 Recruit

  • New User Review
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:10 PM

I am looking for information about if it is possible to apply for medical retirement after you've exited the Army.

I have my VA rating and I need to know where to find the forms to continue from here into medical retirement (if it is possible that is). I saw on another forum that it was possible to obtain both VA and MR at the same time depending on your percentage, but no where that I have found thus far, has stated that you may CAN / NOT apply for medical retirement post Army separation. I was not medically discharged and I have very few resources to reach out to that may have the correct answers or the resources to point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance,



#2 Berta


    HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

  • Podcast Crew
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30537 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:53 AM

Do you mean Social Security disability?

I assume the 80% SC you have in your profile is from the VA...

You can receive SSDI and VA compensation at the same time.

With 80%, if you are unemployed you should apply for TDIU, too.

SSA's web site has the beginning application for SSDI and other info.

TDIU (Total Disability due to Unemployability)

Here is the TDIU form and there is discussion on TDIU in our TDIU forum here.

When VA granted you the 80% ,did they state why they did not send you a TDIU form?


#3 john999


    HadIt.com Elder

  • HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22576 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:45 PM

If you were discharged within 3 years you can ask that your discharge be reviewed and that it be changed to a medical discharge with retirement benefits. If it has been more than 3 years you must go to the BCMR and appeal your discharge. Not easy. Did you get a regular honorable discharge? In your situation you will probably need a lawyer if you want to have a chance to win. You are starting from ground zero.