Search

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  chuck57thSig : (30 October 2014 - 05:51 PM) Sarti07, It's Under (Va Claims And Research) Http://www.hadit.com/forums/topic/59064-Prep-For-Decision-Phaseprovisional-Rating/
@  sarti07 : (30 October 2014 - 02:43 PM) Hello, I Just Posted A Topic About Prep For Decision.. I Have No Idea Where To Find It! Lol
@  carlie : (28 October 2014 - 03:42 PM) Reelnrod - Just Pick A Topic That Corresponds To Your Stuff And Post It
@  reelnrod : (28 October 2014 - 10:11 AM) So, How Do I Post A Topic?
@  Thadine : (28 October 2014 - 08:21 AM) Irrrl
@  Thadine : (28 October 2014 - 08:18 AM) Fishing License
@  Thadine : (28 October 2014 - 08:14 AM) Thadine Quick
@  red : (27 October 2014 - 12:14 PM) Anyone Heard Any Updates On Flying Space A For 100% Disabled Vets?
@  maxwell18 : (27 October 2014 - 10:49 AM) I Did Contact My Congressman Jeff Miller, Let's See What Will Happen
@  maxwell18 : (27 October 2014 - 10:48 AM) @britton
@  Tbird : (27 October 2014 - 04:26 AM) Thank You Larry S For Your Contribution To Our Funding Campaign
@  britton : (26 October 2014 - 07:33 PM) Everyone (Veteran's) Should Recive A Memo From The Dept Of Veterans Affairs ****notification Of Medication Scheduling Change****
@  britton : (26 October 2014 - 07:24 PM) Meds That Are Consider To Be Schedule Ii Narcotic...pain Meds Like Hydrocodone Ectt Ect,,
@  britton : (26 October 2014 - 07:22 PM) As I Understand We Only Can See The Va Dr's Every 28 Days To Renew Our Prescription Meds A New Law Went Into Effect Oct 6Th 2014....i Only See Problems Problems Problems With This...grrrrr
@  maxwell18 : (26 October 2014 - 03:52 PM) This Is Maxwell18 Would The Person Who Contacted Me (Vern2) Please Contact Me Again, I Attemped To E Mail You It Returned No Reply. Thanks
@  Tbird : (26 October 2014 - 05:12 AM) Thank You Maxwell18 For Your Contribution To Our Funding Campaign.
@  Notorious Kelly : (25 October 2014 - 07:53 PM) Max- Contact Your Congressman- Dea Has Got Docs So Cowed They're Afraid To Dispense Tylenol
@  maxwell18 : (25 October 2014 - 07:10 PM) Anybody Having Problems Getting Pain Pills (Norco) Filled Us Navy Base (Nas Whiting Fld Milton Fl). Had A Prescription For 90 Norco Pills For 30 Days, 3 A Day For Pain, Got 30 For 30 Days. That Will Last Me 10 Days. Another Thing That Our Government Is Screwing With Us. I Don't Know What To Do, Don't Want To To The Va, Don't Know What They Will Either. Anybody Goy Any Ideas. 
@  Burt : (25 October 2014 - 10:28 AM) Does Anyone Else Here Wear A Don Joy Armor Knee Brace From The Va?
@  red : (24 October 2014 - 10:10 AM) Any News On Space A Flying?

Photo
- - - - -

Home Sleep Study

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 qwiksting

qwiksting

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:59 PM

Can someone tell me what happens when you are scheduled for a home sleep study. I have an appointment at noon at the pulm clinic. I think my VA MH doc put in a consult a few months ago.

#2 USMC5811

USMC5811

• First Class Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:04 PM

I had a sleep study, but it was at a sleep center instead of the home sleep study. I could not fall asleep at all - so much for that test. One of the tech's told me that they might have me do a home sleep study down the road. I have NOT had one done yet so I'm only relating what was told to me by this tech. He stated some VA treatment centers have/use a portable home monitoring system where the person goes to the VA center/hospital/doctor...they give them portable device and instructions (both orally and in writing) on how to use and how to connect the sensors to yourself before going to bed. The next day the vet either mails the device back or brings it back to the doctor and they analyze/review the recordings it made while you were sleeping in the comfort of your own home.

#3 qwiksting

qwiksting

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:21 PM

Thank you USMC for your reply. I have been trying to find out how it works. My gastro doc and my MH doc recommended I get a sleep study done. I checked myhealthvet and seen where I have an appt to go to PULM clinic. I am assuming this is a pulmonary clinic.

#4 Vync

Vync

E-9 Master Chief Petty Officer

• Master Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1652 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:21 PM

Tried to get setup to eval with a portable study model, but they dont have them at Birmingham. The solution for me was to have a study done through a local hospital which happened to have excellent facilities. Within two days I was evaluated and a tech came to my house to install and train me how to use a BIPAP machine. When compared to previous sleep studies I had, going this route with my private insurance was a much better experience. Now just have to fill submit the SC DBQ and go from there.

#5 Computer Tech

Computer Tech

• First Class Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:56 PM

I've done the home sleep study twice, once through Kaiser and the second time with the VA at Sepulveda. Basically when you go in the tech will explain how to hook everything up plus give you written instructions. You go home and when you go to bed you have a little box about the size of a pack of cigs strapped to your chest, in the morning you return the unit, with the VA I could send it back UPS, they even gave me a box and prepaid label. With Kaiser I had to take the machine down to Woodland Hills during rush hour traffic. Less than a week after I sent the recorder or whatever it was to the VA I got a call to make a appointment to pick up a APAP machine. As I understand it all of the machine are basically the same, whether they're APAP, BiPAP or CPAP depends on how they're setup, With the APAP machine the pressure will adjust as needed between the set pressures, with the CPAP machine the pressure is always the same, I'm not familiar how the BIPAP machine is set up but I imagine that it uses two different pressures. To me the masks are somewhat of a pain to get adjusted so they don't leak yet are comfortable and you can sleep. Before I got my APAP I was having to take a nap a couple of hours after getting up, with the APAP I can go all day without a nap.

If the sleep study shows that you have sleep apnea please get and use you machine as it can save your life, people have died of sleep apnea plus it can be hard on your heart.

Rick