Search

Advertise Here

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  iceturkee : (20 October 2014 - 06:50 AM) Good Luck Plum
@  Notorious Kelly : (19 October 2014 - 06:32 AM) I Wish You All The Best With That, Plum!
@  me.plum : (18 October 2014 - 01:09 PM) Hearing For Bva 11-19 At 8:30 Wow!!! Thanks Everyone!!!
@  Tbird : (18 October 2014 - 12:30 PM) Buckeye46 Thank For Contributing Our Fund Raiser
@  Notorious Kelly : (17 October 2014 - 02:11 PM) Impressive Site, Kimmy. I Bookmarked. Thanks! :)
@  Kimmy : (17 October 2014 - 08:31 AM) I Recently Discover The Site. It Is Very Detailed With Info On Conditions And Ratings.
@  Kimmy : (17 October 2014 - 08:28 AM) Has Anyone Here Been To This Site? Http://www.militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com/
@  Tbird : (17 October 2014 - 08:06 AM) Snake Eyes Thank You For Remembering Us. Congratulations On Your Retro.
@  Snake Eyes : (16 October 2014 - 07:04 PM) Thinking Of Donating A Portion Of My Retro On Next Claim. Smaller Amount Coming Beginning Of November. Thanks For The Good Work!
@  britton : (13 October 2014 - 06:13 AM) Hi There T Bird Shout Backatcha
@  Tbird : (13 October 2014 - 06:04 AM) Britton Ahoy There Matey Give You A Shout Out Back
@  Tbird : (13 October 2014 - 06:00 AM) Thank You Michael M For Your Contribution To Our Funding Campaign
@  Tbird : (13 October 2014 - 05:57 AM) Thank You Elliot K For Your Contribution To Our Funding Campaign
@  Timothy11 : (12 October 2014 - 05:58 PM) Retro Pay
@  britton : (12 October 2014 - 10:10 AM) Hey Everyone!!!......i Give A Shout!!!.......:)
@  Notorious Kelly : (11 October 2014 - 04:18 PM) Hey- There's Britton Right On Top Of The Dealy Bobber!
@  britton : (11 October 2014 - 08:47 AM) Hi Everyone! I Enjoy Reading This Site &please Remember M Fellow Veteran Brothers & Sisters Knowledge Is Power!
@  hmcquade : (10 October 2014 - 02:21 PM) @ari Have Ms
@  Tbird : (09 October 2014 - 01:13 PM) Raz Thank You For Your Helping Fund Hadit.com
@  Tbird : (08 October 2014 - 11:52 AM) Chuck75 Thank You For Your Funding

Photo

Does Anyone Have Any Idea What Development Letter Sent Means?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Inthewind

Inthewind

E-4 Petty Officer 3rd Class

• Second Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 100%
  • Branch of Service: Army

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:11 AM

My claim was closed yesterday and in eBenefits in updates it says:
Appeal is Possible
Decision Notification Sent
Development Letter Sent <------ Does anyone know what this letter is included for? What it may say, or it's purpose?

I've done some searching on HADIT but every mention is just text copy pasted into a paragraph not Germaine to asking what the letter means/says.

So, if anyone has one, or has recently seen one I'd be greatful if you could post a small brief explanation.

I went from 50% to 100% P&T.

Thanks!

Advertise Here

#2 relpats

relpats

E-3 Seaman

• Third Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 70%
  • Branch of Service: USAF

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:34 AM

Yep, the development letter explains in detail what evidence they considered to arive at the decisions. It's like a long version of the Decision Letter (which somes it all up and gives you disability percentages, payment start dates, ect.). If already a 50% look at your first award package and you can see the difference.

#3 Chuck75

Chuck75

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1445 posts
  • Branch of Service: USN

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:10 AM

Strange that E Benefits thing!
Anyway, the development letters sent to me were not much more than acknowledgement of the claim(s),
and a generic "we need all the evidence", even when they already had it.
There was no way to know if they really wanted/needed a specific piece of evidence from the letter.
There also may be a clause that says you may elect to tell them to adjucate the claim with the evidence on hand.

#4 Inthewind

Inthewind

• PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:04 PM

So basically, I went from 50 to 100% and they didn't use everything in my claim to get there and there's still issues they haven't completely adjudicated yet? So they may be asking for additional information to complete them?

Weird.
  • Bob Norman likes this

#5 71M10

71M10

E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officer

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • 1224 posts
  • Branch of Service: USA

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:19 AM

Actually, what it may mean is that when they were rating your claim they noticed a development letter had not been sent (did you receive one?). They send it out so that they can say a development letter had been sent as part of processing your claim. My guess is it is a checklist item that they discovered they had not done, and they didn't hold your claim up waiting for a response since your decision was clearly favorable.

Just my guess as to what is going on.

Best regards,

#6 Chuck75

Chuck75

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 1445 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:24 AM

So basically, I went from 50 to 100% and they didn't use everything in my claim to get there and there's still issues they haven't completely adjudicated yet? So they may be asking for additional information to complete them?

Weird.

It's really hard to tell. Once they award 100%, any sense of urgency seems to be lost. I've heard remarks that were basically
Well, you were awarded 100%, what else do you want? (Ignoring the possibility that SMC, A&A, etc. might also be appropriate.
The famous one is the VA's reluctance to award or even consider TDIU, unless a veteran specifically claims it.

#7 Inthewind

Inthewind

• PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:08 PM

Yeah, I'm not really interested in TDIU because I'm working, it's keeping me busy, and it hasn't become an issue yet. I'll go down that road if/when the need arises. Thanks to all for the comments.

#8 markass530

markass530

E-2 Recruit

• New User Review
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 30
  • Branch of Service: USN , USA

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:17 PM

hey how did you find out you got upgraded? Do you have to wait for a letter?

#9 Inthewind

Inthewind

• PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:01 PM

It came in the form of a rating decision.

#10 ComputerGeek46

ComputerGeek46

• PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:Biblical Languages classical greek studies and theology and staying out of the dog house with my wife

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:46 AM

markass530
I first learned of the rating via ebenefits the development letters and such as for the actual decision I had to wait for the brown packet

#11 MarkInTexas

MarkInTexas

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• First Class Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Interests:Genealogy; History; Family, Country Living
  • Service Connected Disability: 10%
  • Branch of Service: USAF

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:07 PM

It came in the form of a rating decision.

Inthewind, this is completely off topic, but........omg......what kind of cat is that in your profile pic? It stares through my soul!

Mark

#12 Inthewind

Inthewind

• PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:17 PM

Inthewind, this is completely off topic, but........omg......what kind of cat is that in your profile pic? It stares through my soul!

Mark

She's a Sphynx and she is the most loving living thing in the world!

#13 carlie

carlie

Moderator/Admin/HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22174 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy researching and debate of claims for
    Clear and Unmistakable Error (C&UE).
  • Service Connected Disability: 100+

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:41 AM

My claim was closed yesterday and in eBenefits in updates it says:
Appeal is Possible
Decision Notification Sent
Development Letter Sent <------ Does anyone know what this letter is included for? What it may say, or it's purpose?

I've done some searching on HADIT but every mention is just text copy pasted into a paragraph not Germaine to asking what the letter means/says.

So, if anyone has one, or has recently seen one I'd be greatful if you could post a small brief explanation.

I went from 50% to 100% P&T.

Thanks!

Just a quick 20 bucks worth, on the "Appeal is Possible" part.
Many things can be appealed, evaluation for a given disability, effective dates, etc...

#14 bhoward422

bhoward422

• PipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Interests:82nd Airborne Artillery Ft. Bragg N.C. All The Way!
  • Branch of Service: usa

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:17 PM

Actually, what it may mean is that when they were rating your claim they noticed a development letter had not been sent (did you receive one?). They send it out so that they can say a development letter had been sent as part of processing your claim. My guess is it is a checklist item that they discovered they had not done, and they didn't hold your claim up waiting for a response since your decision was clearly favorable.

Just my guess as to what is going on.

Best regards,

Yes this is my thing my claim was at the rater pending decision approval and I did not receive a development letter as of yet is this is what you are saying?

#15 Berta

Berta

HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• SVR
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28806 posts
  • Interests:tactical warfare student- AMU
    gardening
    fishing
    Oriental home design
    organic cleaning tips
    Capt Adoph Von Shell-interested in any info at all!
    German Commander (WWI)lectured to the US Army after the war on warfare-- PTSD - tactics etc-and Leadership
    The Pullers-Chesty and Lewis (USMC)
    chocolate brownies
    anything at all regarding Vietnam
    the failure of the Maginot Line (WWII)
    Trench warfare
    anything amphibious

Led Zepplin, Bob Dylan, Sting, Al Green, Mozart, Classical guitar,Moog synthesizer, Eminem,Janis Joplin,
    Michael Jackson, Teddy Pendergast, Mongo Santamaria,
    Cal Tjader, Miles Davis, AmerIndian battle chants,
    Hendrix,etc etc etc
    Pho and nuc mam dinners
  • Service Connected Disability: widow of 2 vets, 2 HD each and mother of USAF vet-my daughter

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:21 PM

Congrats! Inthewind!!!!!!

And Carlie made a GOOD point.  Appeals can be made on award letters as to EED, ratings etc etc....as well as on denials.

#16 deville905

deville905

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 9 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 40

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:45 PM

Yeah, I just posted my letter a few minutes ago. It said the same thing as yours, but it could be different. 

#17 ejfrank

ejfrank

E-3 Seaman

• New User Review
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 50%
  • Branch of Service: usa

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:12 AM

Each time a claim moves through the eight steps on ebeni you are mailed a development letter . It is a form letter stating your case is being worked on.

#18 coriemboh

coriemboh

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 70%

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:26 AM

You must be new here, rick. Each disability is different and rated accordingly. For example, I am 70% for one diagnosis and 30% for another. It depends on specific criteria. I will ignore your navy comment. You can work and be 100%. I would have to say that every veteran is a patriot. You don't know their personal struggles. If you want to bash threads and posts, go to CNN's website.

#19 Chuck75

Chuck75

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 1445 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:33 PM

So this guy is 100 PERCENT disabled and able to work?  How does that even make sense?  In the Navy?  A majority of you guys are scamming your government and are not Patriots.  Not all, but a lot.  Just trying to scam for a few dollars more.  Truly Pathetic.  An Navy guy with PTSD?  How does that even happen?  Have you seen close combat?  Very Un American.  I am retired Army and see the pathetic weasels trying to squeeze every last dollar out of their government. No different than a foodstamp scammer.  Truly sad.

Long ago, I was in the Navy. As to "combat", there are different ideas. I do hold three combat related awards, One is the CAR.

Others are whole unit awards for performance under "combat conditions". 

Interestingly enough, no awards were issued for perhaps what was one of the most dangerous situations we were in.

(Unloading and handling hundreds of tons of ammunition while under hostile fire.)

Legally, I could work. But who wants to hire a disabled veteran my age, and due to multiple service connected disabilities,

I'm not able to do "make work" jobs, and have to hire out most of the home related maintenance tasks that I used to do. 

While I'm at it, the current 100% VA disability payment is ~$3,000 a month or $36,000. By law this is supposed to"compensate" for lost earnings (and nothing else)

The current average income in the US is ~$55,000. Only perverse government logic can say that the two are equal.

It's more a case of the VA "scamming" veterans than the other way around.

Edited by Chuck75, 08 September 2014 - 02:35 PM.

• coriemboh likes this

#20 Inthewind

Inthewind

• PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:15 PM

So this guy is 100 PERCENT disabled and able to work?  How does that even make sense?  In the Navy?  A majority of you guys are scamming your government and are not Patriots.  Not all, but a lot.  Just trying to scam for a few dollars more.  Truly Pathetic.  An Navy guy with PTSD?  How does that even happen?  Have you seen close combat?  Very Un American.  I am retired Army and see the pathetic weasels trying to squeeze every last dollar out of their government. No different than a foodstamp scammer.  Truly sad.

@ricknewman5 - I just happen to be a retired Army 1SG if it's me you're referring to. I guess your jump to conclusions that I was Navy speaks to your knowledge of anything at all regarding this forum. The rank on my profile has to do with my post count. Look below the picture for branch of service and you'll see your error. Also, what my military record is or isn't, is none of your business. Anyone, (primarily speaking of you by the way) that comes in this forum and makes generalized negative statements is truly sad. You can't possibly know anyones situation. To say people are scamming the government and are un-American with everything thats been proven about the VA and their methods of treating ALL veterans like sub-human species is pretty arrogant and un-patriotic so look in the mirror. I tend to believe you're nothing but a troll. Good luck in your future endeavors, particularly if you've come here to learn or gain some assistance from the large amount of knowledge to be had from these forums. I doubt you'll get it with a first post like that.

#21 Stretch

Stretch

HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio IT

• SVR
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1931 posts
  • Branch of Service: Navy

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:15 PM

Inthewind, Congratulations

Ricknewman,

Chuck75 is right about many things.

My Squadron dropped 7,000 tons of ordinance and worked 8,000 hours in VN.  I watched at least 13 people died while in service and in the combat zone.  I am US Navy.  Most of my family were US Navy in WW2 and died of service related incidence. 

Since you are a new guy there is much tolerance.  Just be aware that the owner of this site and most helpers are US Navy.  We care about our brothers and sisters.  If you can not understand please have a little tolerance for what you do not know. 

• Jerrel likes this

#22 Jerrel

Jerrel

SVR Radio Host

• SVR
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:38 PM

Rick do you have any extra food stamps sure could use some I ran out yesterday and need some more beer.

• Stretch and coriemboh like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertise Here