Search

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  maxwell18 : (25 October 2014 - 07:10 PM) Anybody Having Problems Getting Pain Pills (Norco) Filled Us Navy Base (Nas Whiting Fld Milton Fl). Had A Prescription For 90 Norco Pills For 30 Days, 3 A Day For Pain, Got 30 For 30 Days. That Will Last Me 10 Days. Another Thing That Our Government Is Screwing With Us. I Don't Know What To Do, Don't Want To To The Va, Don't Know What They Will Either. Anybody Goy Any Ideas. 
@  Burt : (25 October 2014 - 10:28 AM) Does Anyone Else Here Wear A Don Joy Armor Knee Brace From The Va?
@  red : (24 October 2014 - 10:10 AM) Any News On Space A Flying?
@  Tbird : (23 October 2014 - 05:07 PM) Correction Jan 20. 2015 Will Be Hadit.com's 18 Year Anniversary
@  Tbird : (23 October 2014 - 11:38 AM) Jan 20, 2015 Will Be Hadit.com's 19 Year Anniversary, That's Amazing.
@  britton : (23 October 2014 - 08:14 AM) I Got It Tbird Thank You
@  Tbird : (22 October 2014 - 05:26 AM) Britton Sent You A Pm
@  britton : (21 October 2014 - 10:05 PM) Tbird, I Sent A Donation To Hadit Via Pay Pal...i Hope You Got It?
@  raven316 : (21 October 2014 - 01:59 PM) Glasses
@  iceturkee : (20 October 2014 - 06:50 AM) Good Luck Plum
@  Notorious Kelly : (19 October 2014 - 06:32 AM) I Wish You All The Best With That, Plum!
@  me.plum : (18 October 2014 - 01:09 PM) Hearing For Bva 11-19 At 8:30 Wow!!! Thanks Everyone!!!
@  Tbird : (18 October 2014 - 12:30 PM) Buckeye46 Thank For Contributing Our Fund Raiser
@  Notorious Kelly : (17 October 2014 - 02:11 PM) Impressive Site, Kimmy. I Bookmarked. Thanks! :)
@  Kimmy : (17 October 2014 - 08:31 AM) I Recently Discover The Site. It Is Very Detailed With Info On Conditions And Ratings.
@  Kimmy : (17 October 2014 - 08:28 AM) Has Anyone Here Been To This Site? Http://www.militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com/
@  Tbird : (17 October 2014 - 08:06 AM) Snake Eyes Thank You For Remembering Us. Congratulations On Your Retro.
@  Snake Eyes : (16 October 2014 - 07:04 PM) Thinking Of Donating A Portion Of My Retro On Next Claim. Smaller Amount Coming Beginning Of November. Thanks For The Good Work!
@  britton : (13 October 2014 - 06:13 AM) Hi There T Bird Shout Backatcha
@  Tbird : (13 October 2014 - 06:04 AM) Britton Ahoy There Matey Give You A Shout Out Back

Photo
- - - - -

Augusta Ga Va Clothing Allowance

shared experience

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 tmoe

tmoe

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• First Class Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 100
  • Branch of Service: usa

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

I know this has been mention 100 times,but this is what VA is trying to do with clothing allowance, I had a back brace that was not through

VA and the first guy says it has to be through VA to get paid. My responce was I don't get care for my back from VA, its through

a private Dr, VA won't see me for my back problem. So the supervisor who pays clothing was in a meeting until I ask for the regulation

that says it has to be issue through VA to get paid,they could'nt. Then she says I have to appeal the decision and to write a NOD as

to why I disagree, so I ask for paper to write my disagreement she don't have any, so one of the co worker gave me some paper and

told me to write everything they said and before I could get it wrote the supervisor say stop right there sign it I will pay you for the brace.

I was suppose to get three but my left hand is not sc for carpal tunnel just the right and the back. I just had to show the prescription for

my back brace and the brace it self. So dont let them s**t you they must pay you. ALL this was after I recieve my letter, just got paid for

one,but was denied 2 other. Now the back brace was approve today!!

#2 Philip Rogers

Philip Rogers

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3930 posts
  • Branch of Service: US Army Airborne

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:50 AM

tmoe - thanks for the great info!!! I'm sure it'll help someone.

pr

#3 justrluk

justrluk

E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officer

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • Interests:My family, gardening, cooking, Sci-fi, techno-geek
  • Service Connected Disability: 100%
  • Branch of Service: USAF

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:43 AM

tmoe -
I received a letter months ago and still haven't seen any cloting allowance from the Augusta VAMC. I too applied for dual and was told over the phone that I was only approved single.

#4 JayBrown1

JayBrown1

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Branch of Service: US ARMY

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:56 AM

I am still waiting on my clothing allowance. I called the prosthetics department and I was told that they are still processing it.

#5 Teac

Teac

• 1158 posts
  • Interests:Im really 100%+ 150 more
  • Service Connected Disability: 100+
  • Branch of Service: USA

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:25 PM

First to be sure, the VA isn't going to pay more than two clothing allowances to any veteran. The rules only call for payment of two , not three. four or more. Now, to be sure, if your brace was not issued by the VA then legally according to VA Handbook 1173.15 they cannot and should not pay you any clothing allowance. So if you got a brace from the private sector and the VA employee agreed to pay you the clothing allowance they are breaking the Law. You really should download a copy of the handbook and read it. The VA here in San Antonio will not only refuse to pay a clothing allowance for a private sector issued brace, but they also refuse to pay a clothing allowance if your brace or appliance was issued by a different VA Hospital or A Military Hospital. The Handbook specifically states that the item must be issued by the VA, ( not the Local VA). The new clothing allowance form shows an example of an appliance being issued by Walter Reed Medical Center... so even the example on the form contradicts the Handbook. I presently am fighting with VA San Antonio because of refusal to pay the second clothing allowance because as they stated they did not issue my AFO, Canadian crutches , or manual wheelchair... at the local va there fore even when I present medical records showing they were issued at other va medical centers they still refuse to pay for the second clothing allowance. I generated a congressional inquiry today after playing their games for over a year. So in response to your last sentence, what you were told was against the law, and no other veteran should expect to be paid for a clothing allowance under the conditions you outlined, The appliance that warrants the clothing allowance by law must be issued by the VA for a service connected issue.

#6 tmoe

tmoe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:10 AM

Teac,dont know who told you you are allowed only two clothing because i only filed for two but they had me for three and this was why

the allowances are late because people are filing 3-4 clothing or this is what Augusta been telling me. I say again VA DON'T TREAT

ME for my sc back but I have a prescription for a back brace from private doctor she says she would pay me for it thats all I said. San

Antonio could be giving you some of their bull because that don't even sound right you can/t use a brace from another VA who prescribe it

you go back and read that handbook some more. I got my letter tuesday money 741.00 in bank wednesday now waiting for the second

allowance so believe as you will. This is why I don.t post because I get call a liar or telling something wrong but it ok I got mine only trying

to help another person

Edited by tmoe, 30 November 2012 - 01:55 AM.

#7 tmoe

tmoe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:21 AM

tmoe -
I received a letter months ago and still haven't seen any cloting allowance from the Augusta VAMC. I too applied for dual and was told over the phone that I was only approved single.

justrluk,her name is Mrs Price the supervisor i went to her office because she quit answering her phone she is a pain in the butt a month ago she said i was approve

i call a week later my claim have not been approve nor summited yet. I would check with her again, also it will show on ebenefits as a claim open

and close decision sent or something like that

Edited by tmoe, 30 November 2012 - 02:29 AM.

#8 tmoe

tmoe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:47 AM

First to be sure, the VA isn't going to pay more than two clothing allowances to any veteran. The rules only call for payment of two , not three. four or more. Now, to be sure, if your brace was not issued by the VA then legally according to VA Handbook 1173.15 they cannot and should not pay you any clothing allowance. So if you got a brace from the private sector and the VA employee agreed to pay you the clothing allowance they are breaking the Law. You really should download a copy of the handbook and read it. The VA here in San Antonio will not only refuse to pay a clothing allowance for a private sector issued brace, but they also refuse to pay a clothing allowance if your brace or appliance was issued by a different VA Hospital or A Military Hospital. The Handbook specifically states that the item must be issued by the VA, ( not the Local VA). The new clothing allowance form shows an example of an appliance being issued by Walter Reed Medical Center... so even the example on the form contradicts the Handbook. I presently am fighting with VA San Antonio because of refusal to pay the second clothing allowance because as they stated they did not issue my AFO, Canadian crutches , or manual wheelchair... at the local va there fore even when I present medical records showing they were issued at other va medical centers they still refuse to pay for the second clothing allowance. I generated a congressional inquiry today after playing their games for over a year. So in response to your last sentence, what you were told was against the law, and no other veteran should expect to be paid for a clothing allowance under the conditions you outlined, The appliance that warrants the clothing allowance by law must be issued by the VA for a service connected issue.

e. When the veteran certifies use of an appliance and/or medication which damages clothing and there is no record of VA issue, a physical examination needs to be scheduled prior to a recommendation for denial of entitlement. In determining whether these devices and/or medications tend to damage clothing, each individual application is to be considered on the objective findings of the case; this may include a medical examination and an inspection and evaluation of the device(s) claimed to cause damage to the clothing. Staff must ensure that they do not routinely require the production of worn or torn clothing.
NOTE: Reasonable doubt should be resolved in favor of the veteran. This don.t say you can.t get paid if not issue through VA only they would have to check it to see if it cause wear and tear to clothing

http://www1.va.gov/v...asp?pub_ID=1641 handbook

Edited by tmoe, 30 November 2012 - 02:31 AM.

#9 Teac

Teac

• 1158 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:15 AM

e. When the veteran certifies use of an appliance and/or medication which damages clothing and there is no record of VA issue, a physical examination needs to be scheduled prior to a recommendation for denial of entitlement. In determining whether these devices and/or medications tend to damage clothing, each individual application is to be considered on the objective findings of the case; this may include a medical examination and an inspection and evaluation of the device(s) claimed to cause damage to the clothing. Staff must ensure that they do not routinely require the production of worn or torn clothing.
NOTE: Reasonable doubt should be resolved in favor of the veteran. This don.t say you can.t get paid if not issue through VA only they would have to check it to see if it cause wear and tear to clothing

http://www1.va.gov/v...asp?pub_ID=1641 handbook

I guess it depends on how you read it... " when there is no record of va issue" In my case the local va said that there was no record of issue, and that even though I provided medical evidence showing the va did issue my stuff, they said but it must be issued by this va and since it was not it does not qualify for the clothing allowance. I filed an appeal citing exactly what you show above. They did not afford me an examination, although the fact that my appliances are used is in my medical records because every time I see a doctor they write it down. My appeal was signed for on 15 Oct, they have by law ( va directive clinical appeals) 30 days to provide an answer. They fail to reply, my congressional inquiry went to my senator yesterday. Now I am not a big fan of contacting senators because they rarely do help... normally you end up with the same answer regardless of who is asking, only with a congressional you might get a faster answer..... Technically your are correct when there is no record of issues does not mean the va must issue the item.... but according to the local va it means that it must be issued by the va........and I can tell you if every va did the same thing according to the rules we would not have any problems... but very few va's do the exact same thing.

#10 MRRRR5

MRRRR5

E-6 Petty Officer 1st Class

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:51 AM

My clothing allowance has been approved for appliances I have received from the military hospital as a military retiree/tricare prime patient and not the VA.

VA tried that same "it wasn't issued by us" and denied it two years ago and when I sent them my appeal the next day, it was approved within a week; haven't had that problem since.

#11 justrluk

justrluk

• 826 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:38 AM

justrluk,her name is Mrs Price the supervisor i went to her office because she quit answering her phone she is a pain in the butt a month ago she said i was approve

i call a week later my claim have not been approve nor summited yet. I would check with her again, also it will show on ebenefits as a claim open

and close decision sent or something like that

Thanks, tmoe - I'll call (bug) them today and see what happens.

#12 tmoe

tmoe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:07 AM

Thanks, tmoe - I'll call (bug) them today and see what happens.

justrluk,just got my second clothing deposit today so good luck with yours

#13 justrluk

justrluk

• 826 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:29 AM

justrluk,just got my second clothing deposit today so good luck with yours

Congrats! I heard yesterday they were working on the "Ls". I'm in that list, but haven't seen anything yet. Did you see it on eBenefits or as a deposit first??

#14 tmoe

tmoe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

Congrats! I heard yesterday they were working on the "Ls". I'm in that list, but haven't seen anything yet. Did you see it on eBenefits or as a deposit first??

Did you see it on eBenefits or as a deposit first?? This one was deposit first nothing on ebenefit yet, but the first one was on ebenefit in compension & claims first

Edited by tmoe, 07 December 2012 - 04:31 PM.

#15 JayBrown1

JayBrown1

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:43 PM

I decided to stop by the prosthetics department on Monday the 10th of December after my appointment to check on my clothing allowance. I was told that one of my clothing allowance was granted and one was denied. She asked me if I got a copy of their decision letter and I told her no so she printed out a copy and gave it to me. I could not believe the reasoning behind their denial it stated "You were denied based on the following: off the shelf back brace is several years old which does not substantiate continuous use that could cause wear and tear to clothing." I told the lady yes I have had the back brace for years but it was molded for my back and it still fits and I still wear it, I also told her that I was never told that I needed a new one. I have had you all check my braces for years for clothing allowance and never once did you all say I needed braces, I told her. She whispered to me, they are not going to tell you, that's how they are going to deny your claims, and she said you are not the only one they did like that. You need to get new braces every six months to get the clothing allowance. I asked her why didn't I receive a copy of this decision in the mail, she said I should have. I told her this letter is date September 11 and I called up here in Sep, Oct and Nov and was told it was still being processed but the date on this decision shows it was already completed since early Sep and I still haven't received payment for the one that I was granted. She gave me a number to call. I called the number to inquire on the decision and this guy to me to appeal it to the Chief of prosthetics if I don't agree with the denial, so I asked him why haven't I received payment for the one I was granted he told me to hold on, I was on hold for over ten minutes when he came back and said I would receive it in ten days, my friends again they surprise me I received it this morning but I have also submitted a letter to appeal the denial of my back brace.

#16 justrluk

justrluk

• 826 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:44 AM

Jay -

So sorry to hear you had to suffer this buffoonery...

I've also called and was told to leave a message. I left one with my name, SSAN, etc. and couldn't get any more info. I was finally able to get the woman on the phone that is supposed to be processing the claims, and she said she processed my claim. That was on Tuesday of this week. I haven't seen anything yet on eBenefits or in my account so we'll see how long it takes from her statement that it had been processed to actually getting paid. The Augusta VAMC has been pretty reliable until this year. Don't know what happened, but this is ridiculous.

#17 JayBrown1

JayBrown1

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:04 AM

@Justrluk thanks I'm telling you its ridiculous how this years clothing allowance is being decided and the length of time its taking. I am waiting to hear what excuse they come up with on the one they denied.

#18 Teac

Teac

• 1158 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:27 PM

@Justrluk thanks I'm telling you its ridiculous how this years clothing allowance is being decided and the length of time its taking. I am waiting to hear what excuse they come up with on the one they denied.

This is because they are looking for reason to deny the second clothing allowance... Hell at this point I now have a congressional inquiry because San Antonio refused to deny in writing or provide a statement of the case after I appeal the decision. In fact they flat out refuse to even acknowledge that I requested the second clothing allowance...

#19 tmoe

tmoe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:54 PM

I decided to stop by the prosthetics department on Monday the 10th of December after my appointment to check on my clothing allowance. I was told that one of my clothing allowance was granted and one was denied. She asked me if I got a copy of their decision letter and I told her no so she printed out a copy and gave it to me. I could not believe the reasoning behind their denial it stated "You were denied based on the following: off the shelf back brace is several years old which does not substantiate continuous use that could cause wear and tear to clothing." I told the lady yes I have had the back brace for years but it was molded for my back and it still fits and I still wear it, I also told her that I was never told that I needed a new one. I have had you all check my braces for years for clothing allowance and never once did you all say I needed braces, I told her. She whispered to me, they are not going to tell you, that's how they are going to deny your claims, and she said you are not the only one they did like that. You need to get new braces every six months to get the clothing allowance. I asked her why didn't I receive a copy of this decision in the mail, she said I should have. I told her this letter is date September 11 and I called up here in Sep, Oct and Nov and was told it was still being processed but the date on this decision shows it was already completed since early Sep and I still haven't received payment for the one that I was granted. She gave me a number to call. I called the number to inquire on the decision and this guy to me to appeal it to the Chief of prosthetics if I don't agree with the denial, so I asked him why haven't I received payment for the one I was granted he told me to hold on, I was on hold for over ten minutes when he came back and said I would receive it in ten days, my friends again they surprise me I received it this morning but I have also submitted a letter to appeal the denial of my back brace.

Do you have a new prescription for your brace because if not and its not static than all you need is a new prescription and you should be fine just some more of their bull s**t

#20 JayBrown1

JayBrown1

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:29 PM

Yes, I got a new prescription.

#21 justrluk

justrluk

• 826 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:53 PM

Jay - have you had any success yet? I still haven't seen anything and nothing on eBenefits.

#22 justrluk

justrluk

• 826 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:08 AM

Just called today: those of us that received a letter from July - Sept may not see payment until next month.

#23 JayBrown1

JayBrown1

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:48 PM

Justrluk haven't heard anything from chief of prosthetics yet, I'm sure they will come up with some type of an excuse as to why my second allowance remain denied.

#24 justrluk

justrluk

• 826 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:50 PM

I called the other day. Woman looked up my claim and said it was processed on the 17th of December. I still haven't seen a deposit.

#25 justrluk

justrluk

• 826 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:53 AM

Clothing allowance just showed up today. What a relief!

#26 justrluk

justrluk

• 826 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:41 AM

Has anyone using the Augusta VAMC received a clothing allowance yet?

#27 tmoe

tmoe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:10 PM

justlurk, which I could tell u somethng good but I hav not heard anything but will check this week when my appointment

#28 justrluk

justrluk

• 826 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:07 AM

Thanks, tmoe. I appreciate you asking the question.

#29 tmoe

tmoe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:57 PM

justrluk, I just receive an approval for wrist brace but they denied the back brace saying I needed to take some worn clothing

and a new prescription  to prosthetic saying I need this type of brace, and go to primary care to get a new brace something that wont

wear clothing. I was told the supervisor had complaints about not answering the phones so she is answering and giving the info over the phone

after I call her I had the letter the next 2 days. Not sure if it is deposited yet got lock out my account. I think the number or ext 6162

Edited by tmoe, 06 September 2013 - 09:00 PM.

#30 meghp0405

meghp0405

• 872 posts
  • Branch of Service: Army

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:57 PM

and yes the VA will pay for 3 clothing allowances. I know this to be fact guys...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users