Search

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  red : (24 October 2014 - 10:10 AM) Any News On Space A Flying?
@  Tbird : (23 October 2014 - 05:07 PM) Correction Jan 20. 2015 Will Be Hadit.com's 18 Year Anniversary
@  Tbird : (23 October 2014 - 11:38 AM) Jan 20, 2015 Will Be Hadit.com's 19 Year Anniversary, That's Amazing.
@  britton : (23 October 2014 - 08:14 AM) I Got It Tbird Thank You
@  Tbird : (22 October 2014 - 05:26 AM) Britton Sent You A Pm
@  britton : (21 October 2014 - 10:05 PM) Tbird, I Sent A Donation To Hadit Via Pay Pal...i Hope You Got It?
@  raven316 : (21 October 2014 - 01:59 PM) Glasses
@  iceturkee : (20 October 2014 - 06:50 AM) Good Luck Plum
@  Notorious Kelly : (19 October 2014 - 06:32 AM) I Wish You All The Best With That, Plum!
@  me.plum : (18 October 2014 - 01:09 PM) Hearing For Bva 11-19 At 8:30 Wow!!! Thanks Everyone!!!
@  Tbird : (18 October 2014 - 12:30 PM) Buckeye46 Thank For Contributing Our Fund Raiser
@  Notorious Kelly : (17 October 2014 - 02:11 PM) Impressive Site, Kimmy. I Bookmarked. Thanks! :)
@  Kimmy : (17 October 2014 - 08:31 AM) I Recently Discover The Site. It Is Very Detailed With Info On Conditions And Ratings.
@  Kimmy : (17 October 2014 - 08:28 AM) Has Anyone Here Been To This Site? Http://www.militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com/
@  Tbird : (17 October 2014 - 08:06 AM) Snake Eyes Thank You For Remembering Us. Congratulations On Your Retro.
@  Snake Eyes : (16 October 2014 - 07:04 PM) Thinking Of Donating A Portion Of My Retro On Next Claim. Smaller Amount Coming Beginning Of November. Thanks For The Good Work!
@  britton : (13 October 2014 - 06:13 AM) Hi There T Bird Shout Backatcha
@  Tbird : (13 October 2014 - 06:04 AM) Britton Ahoy There Matey Give You A Shout Out Back
@  Tbird : (13 October 2014 - 06:00 AM) Thank You Michael M For Your Contribution To Our Funding Campaign
@  Tbird : (13 October 2014 - 05:57 AM) Thank You Elliot K For Your Contribution To Our Funding Campaign

Photo

Self-Employment Track

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 devildog2061

devildog2061

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:31 PM

I'm currently receiving SSD and Disability Retirement.
SSD is for a combination of service connected PTSD 50% and Back which is non-service connected.
My Back is what I receive Disability Retirement for from the post office.
My total VA rating is 80%.
I had a claim in for IU, but was recently denied. The VA stated I have not been found to be unemployable.
While I'm going through the appeals process, I applied for Voc-Rehab.
My initial meeting with a VRC is the 8th of January.
I have a very strong passion for music and wanna follow this dream I've had since childhood.
I am a writer, producer and performer. I've invested a lot of money in music equipment, and currently
Building my own recording studio. I've started my own music publishing company. I recently had one
Of my songs released on a national level. I know mostly the production side of music, but now I
Wanna learn the business side. My question is ?
Since I've already done most of the work to set-up and run my own business, will the VRC allow me
to go to school online to get educated in the business side of music ? Thanks for your replies.....

#2 jbasser

jbasser

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6248 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:06 PM

They should do that, It depends on the counselor.

J

#3 chinavet

chinavet

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• Second Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

I have a friend who did a degree under voc rehab in 2005.
He now wonders if he can go back and apply for self employment help.

Anyone know?

#4 broncovet

broncovet

E-9 Master Chief Petty Officer

• Master Chief Petty Officer
  • 3670 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:29 AM

Devil dog...

Go ahead and "Ask".  The Voc counselor may go for it.  If not, you can always try an appeal.  You cant possibly fail if your determination to suceed is strong enough.  

China Vet

Voc Rehab has much fewer hard "regulations" than does disability claims.  Again, "go for it".  The worst they can say is "no", and you can still appeal.  

While I am not sure the Va will opt to let you "keep trying" different Voc rehab paths, I dont know that "2" is precluded, either.  Go for it. 

#5 chinavet

chinavet

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• Second Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

Thanks!

Thanks!

#6 devildog2061

devildog2061

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:51 PM

Well guys, the Voc-Rehab Counselor denied my request for retraining because of my disabilities, but he did approve me for ILP and wrote a statement in support of my IU claim, which was recently denied
Through a DRO Review decision Oct. 2012.

Hopefully this will help.....What do you think ?

#7 broncovet

broncovet

E-9 Master Chief Petty Officer

• Master Chief Petty Officer
  • 3670 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:26 AM

Interesting.  

Its great news you were awarded ILP!  
Congratulations!   ILP can be a big deal.  I know one Vet who got about 10,000 of computer equipment for his ILP.  You now need to think about what you would like for your ILP.  ILP will be specific to your needs.  IT WILL NOT be used, however, to help you become employed or self employed.  Dont even ask for an ILP that will lead to a job.  

There is stuff on ILP and you should look at what other Vets got, and think of what you want.  You probably should have a "plan A" plan B and C.  Example:

Plan A...I would like an Ipad and software to help me connect with friends and family..along with a webcam, etc.  (under 5k)

Plan B..   I would like a woodshop with tools to make wood toys for grandchildren  (10-20k)

Plan C   I would like a green house, lawn tractor, etc.  The VA ILP will NOT give you money for lawn equipment to start a biz cutting neighborhood lawns, so dont ask for that, however.  

Frankly this sounds to me like the VA is "speaking from both sides of its mouth", but I would know better if you posted "reasons and bases" for your denial.  

You see, Voc Rehab is for Vets who need retraining or need help becoming employed.   ILP, however, is for people who are not employable, especially 100% Vets.  

So, I dont get how they can say you are employable and also eligible for ILP which suggests unemployablity.  This assumes you have sought TDIU.  

I

#8 devildog2061

devildog2061

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:09 PM

They said I couldn't work because of my service connected disability, PTSD.....
They said they considered my SSD award, which is for PTSD and Back ( NSC )....
I was denied Retraining from voc-rehab because of disabilities, but approved for ILP...

I think you read it wrong Broncovet.....