Advertise Here

Photo
- - - - -

Tinnitus, Gerd, Insomnia Claims Help Needed

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 Cavman

Cavman

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 12:53 AM

Has anyone filed for these claims and how is the c & p. I have filed the gerd/barretts and insomnia secondary to ptsd. The tinnitus is something I`ve had for many years and never realized a claim could be filed until finding Hadit.

Cavman

Advertise Here

#2 RockyA1911

RockyA1911

E-6 Petty Officer 1st Class

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 02:34 AM

If they gave you a hearing test it was NOT for TINNITUS. There is no hearing test for TINNITUS. I just had a C&P for TINNITUS Jun 06 at the VAMC and it consisted of just an oral interview that lasts about 5 minutes at the most. They review your service records and some oral questions and that was it. The C&P examiner wrote in the report "It is more likely than not the onset of Tinnitus occurred from military service due to exposure from military noises." Two other of my vet buddies recieved their 10% ratings almost a year ago and they never had any hearing tests for tinnitus either. If you were a combat veteran you should have no problem getting tinnitus awarded unless you were in a job where loud noises were prevalent or does a lot of hunting with firearms or shooting sports since being in combat. Then they will try and blame the tinnitus on your civilian work as in a foundry or shooting sports, etc.

I also filed a claim for Barrett's Esophagus in Mar 05 as initial claim. I have had C&Ps for everything but that, I did furnish the IMO by my gastroenterologists that has been treating me doing endoscopies and prescribed medication. My claim has been at the rating board since 28 June 06 and hopefully I will receive a rating decision this October. Today begins the 19th month I have been waiting.

#3 terrysturgis

terrysturgis

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 09:15 AM

Cavman, for my tinnitus claim I had an IMO from an Audiologist that the VFW SO recommended saying "it is as likely as not that the military noise exposure was a factor that Tinnitus started in the service". My wife had insurance and the exam was covered. I calibrated artillery in Viet Nam so noise exposure was a given. I also sent in a tape recording I made to my wife in 1969 that was full of explosions from the artillery in Dong Ha. Also my Service Medical Records showed hearing loss from entrance of the service till my discharge exam.
Evidence and proof is what is needed to get claims approved. Good Luck! Terry Sturgis

#4 Berta

Berta

HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• SVR
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28487 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 11:20 AM

Cavman -I assume that means Calvary and I also assume as others said- that you were exposed by MOS to high levels of noise in service.

GERD, Barretts Esophagus, and insomnia can be found secondary to PTSD, There are cases at the BVA that show how this was done.

In every case however, clear definitive medical opinions that showed the association between these conditions and PTSD were needed.

All C & Ps for these conditions are here:

http://www.vba.va.go...exams/index.htm

This is one of many GERD found secondary to PTSD claims at the BVA:

http://www.va.gov/ve...es5/0534284.txt

"ORDER

Service connection for gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
as secondary to PTSD on an aggravation basis is granted."

"AGGRAVATION" -something a claimant should not overlook with many disabilities at issue- I posted what type of claim this is here in the past-

In this above decision this is how the BVA puts it:

"As noted, in between are several opinions that support of the
notion that the veteran's GERD has, at least to some as yet
unquantified degree, been aggravated by his PTSD. Thus, the
Board finds that the evidence is at least in equipoise"

When a non SC disability is "Aggravated" by a SC disability-secondary SC is warranted.

I posted 1-2 insomnia claims at hadit last week.

#5 Philip Rogers

Philip Rogers

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3830 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 07:54 PM

Cavman -I assume that means Calvary and I also assume as others said- that you were exposed by MOS to high levels of noise in service.

GERD, Barretts Esophagus, and insomnia can be found secondary to PTSD, There are cases at the BVA that show how this was done.

In every case however, clear definitive medical opinions that showed the association between these conditions and PTSD were needed.

All C & Ps for these conditions are here:
http://www.vba.va.go...exams/index.htm

This is one of many GERD found secondary to PTSD claims at the BVA:

http://www.va.gov/ve...es5/0534284.txt

"ORDER

Service connection for gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
as secondary to PTSD on an aggravation basis is granted."

"AGGRAVATION" -something a claimant should not overlook with many disabilities at issue- I posted what type of claim this is here in the past-

In this above decision this is how the BVA puts it:
"As noted, in between are several opinions that support of the
notion that the veteran's GERD has, at least to some as yet
unquantified degree, been aggravated by his PTSD. Thus, the
Board finds that the evidence is at least in equipoise"

When a non SC disability is "Aggravated" by a SC disability-secondary SC is warranted.

I posted 1-2 insomnia claims at hadit last week.

Probably means "Cavalry." Newscasters mispronounce it all the time.

#6 Cavman

Cavman

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 08:29 PM

Yes, Cavalry. Served in the 6th, 7th and 11th Cavalry. Ft. MEADE, kOREA & Nam/Cambodia.

Cavman

#7 Berta

Berta

• SVR
  • 28487 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 09:36 AM

History is resplendent with great Calvary men-

Alexander the Great, Stonewall Jackson, and General George S. Patton-

I bet your Units have web sites-

were you Blackhorse in Vietnam?

http://www.blackhors...e/unitinfo.html

I have a very good friend who was Blackhorse in Nam. He is my AO vet with 1151 ,2 PHs and AO cancer.

Fort Meade -question Cavman- my daughter worked at Fort Meade in the USAF (INTELL) and is at NSA now- I think they made Fort Meade to be considered now as part of Washington DC but cant remember where I heard that. Have you heard that?

Check this out men and women- right after 9-11 for some reason I wondered if the whole lay out of Fort Meade was on the internet- guess what it was!

I was shocked. My daughter had just been suddenly transferred to the Battle Staff on 9-11 and she could not believe that the internet held a complete detailed map of the Fort.

I hesitate to even see if this map is still on the net.

Edited by Berta, 26 September 2006 - 09:42 AM.

#8 Cavman

Cavman

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 10:04 AM

Ft Meade was all Army when I was there in 1971. I did stop there a couple years ago and got permission to go on base by persuading some e-5 that I had been stationed there years ago and would love to drive thru once more in my life. After hesitating a few minutes he gave in. I did think kina shaky security.

Yes, I was 11th Cav Blackhorse from late 1960 thru 1970. MOS - 11D. I walked point for 6 months, so never think the cav is strictly infantry tracks etc. Was your vet there the same time as me? I was E-Troop. As you know I also have a stage 4 tonsil/lymphnode cancer and would like to know what he has. By the way Berta, my cancer doesn`t fall under any soft tissue cancers either. My surgeon thinks it`s so stupid tonsil isn`t recognized when the dioxins had to travel thru the throat and over the tonsils. Probably, one day it will be on the list when I`m in the crypt.

Cavman

#9 Pete53

Pete53

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder

• 21767 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 10:09 AM

I served in tha Air Cav and I have tinnitus in right ear. I asked for service connection was never given a C&P and denied in 1998.

#10 Berta

Berta

• SVR
  • 28487 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 10:14 AM

Yeah- I think he was there in late 1960s or 1970s-he has Non Hodgkins lymphoma-an Agent Orange presumptive. I think he was near An Loc-will check with him on that---

CAVMAN I would continue to keep the tonsil claim open if I were you- in any way y0u can- we dont know what the future will bring if more conditions are added to the AO presumptive list.

I feel you have a good chance to get secondary SC to PTSD for many of your other conditions-it will still boil down to medical evidence of a nexus- and there are those awards at the BVA that show what I mean.

I wonder- are you positive your DD 214 reflects all of your awards and decorations?

Have you ever requested a DD 149 to see if they are all there?

Here is the form -just put Not applicable to the "injustices" part and tell them you just want to be sure your DD 214 is correct and if not would they issue a DD 215 to you.

Many Vietnam vets I know, by using this form, found they had awards or decorations that were not on their DD 214s.

Attached Files

#11 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 22164 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 11:49 AM

I remember Blackhorse used to have a unit at BearCat. I saw them there in their tracks. The guys lived in those things as hot as it was they must have been like ovens.

#12 Philip Rogers

Philip Rogers

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3830 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 07:03 PM

History is resplendent with great Calvary men-

Alexander the Great, Stonewall Jackson, and General George S. Patton-

I bet your Units have web sites-

were you Blackhorse in Vietnam?

http://www.blackhors...e/unitinfo.html

I have a very good friend who was Blackhorse in Nam. He is my AO vet with 1151 ,2 PHs and AO cancer.

Fort Meade -question Cavman- my daughter worked at Fort Meade in the USAF (INTELL) and is at NSA now- I think they made Fort Meade to be considered now as part of Washington DC but cant remember where I heard that. Have you heard that?

Check this out men and women- right after 9-11 for some reason I wondered if the whole lay out of Fort Meade was on the internet- guess what it was!

I was shocked. My daughter had just been suddenly transferred to the Battle Staff on 9-11 and she could not believe that the internet held a complete detailed map of the Fort.

I hesitate to even see if this map is still on the net.

Breta - Calvary is a religous/Christian term. Cavalry, refers to the horseman, helicopters and armour in the military.

#13 Cavman

Cavman

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 08:51 PM

Yeah- I think he was there in late 1960s or 1970s-he has Non Hodgkins lymphoma-an Agent Orange presumptive. I think he was near An Loc-will check with him on that---

CAVMAN I would continue to keep the tonsil claim open if I were you- in any way y0u can- we dont know what the future will bring if more conditions are added to the AO presumptive list.

I feel you have a good chance to get secondary SC to PTSD for many of your other conditions-it will still boil down to medical evidence of a nexus- and there are those awards at the BVA that show what I mean.

I wonder- are you positive your DD 214 reflects all of your awards and decorations?

Have you ever requested a DD 149 to see if they are all there?

Here is the form -just put Not applicable to the "injustices" part and tell them you just want to be sure your DD 214 is correct and if not would they issue a DD 215 to you.

Many Vietnam vets I know, by using this form, found they had awards or decorations that were not on their DD 214s.

I was in An Loc a few times. We worked Tay Ninh Province along the Cambodian Border. Give he his last name if you can, maybe I know him or tell me what state he is from and maybe I can guess.

There are two citations not listed in my DD-214 and they are a Vietnamese Cross of Galantry and citation for Bravery. I don`t think they would help my claims so I really don`t care if they show.

The cancer will probably get me before it is ever listed as AO caused. I do have a lawyer friend that would take it to the Supreme Court if needed, but I don`t think I can win it. Seems almost funny to see these words and me acting nonchalant about them (cancer). It is still almost like a bad dream, going from being the life of the party and feeling good on Thursday and being told on Friday you have cancer really bad. Enough harping about it. I was in shock that day, but have somewhat accepted it although it does piss me off that I`m sure I sacrificed my life early for the war. Even if God allowed me to survive for years the treatment has damaged me so bad that the quality of life sucks. BUT I`M DAMN OK!!

Berta, do you really think I will need to see a doctor about the ringing in my ears for 35 years to get the claim thru?

Cavman

#14 Cavman

Cavman

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 08:54 PM

I remember Blackhorse used to have a unit at BearCat. I saw them there in their tracks. The guys lived in those things as hot as it was they must have been like ovens.

I lived in an infantry track the whole tour. Once in a blue moon I would lay on the ground under a poncho, but not often because if your guy fell asleep you would sure get your throat cut. If you were sleeping in the track with the other 2 guys you might not be the one charlie picked.

Cavman

#15 Berta

Berta

• SVR
  • 28487 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 05:37 AM

CAVMAN -his name is Richard Smith and I think he always lived in this area-
He lives in Steuben County NY and I think he enlisted when he lived in Almond NY.

I cannot imagine that the VA would not grant you tinnitus with your combat background.

But they are only granting 10% whether it is in one ear or both.

Have you had a good hearing exam lately?

Yeah they forgot the Gallantry Cross on other Nam vets DD 214s.It is a beautiful decoration.
When a vet gets it on a DD 215 they get a nice letter telling them they have to buy it as it is not our Gov issue but all bases sell it.
I hope they put the Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal with the 1960 device on your DD 214-I would think that too should be there.
They added 4 decorations to my husband's DD 215 when he applied for correction.

A Citation for bravery-veteran -I sure would want that on the DD 214 too if I were you- this type of could
help any veteran's PTSD claim and it is something to be very proud and share with the family.

Edited by Berta, 27 September 2006 - 05:42 AM.

#16 Cavman

Cavman

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 08:17 AM

CAVMAN -his name is Richard Smith and I think he always lived in this area-
He lives in Steuben County NY and I think he enlisted when he lived in Almond NY.

I cannot imagine that the VA would not grant you tinnitus with your combat background.

But they are only granting 10% whether it is in one ear or both.

Have you had a good hearing exam lately?

Yeah they forgot the Gallantry Cross on other Nam vets DD 214s.It is a beautiful decoration.
When a vet gets it on a DD 215 they get a nice letter telling them they have to buy it as it is not our Gov issue but all bases sell it.
I hope they put the Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal with the 1960 device on your DD 214-I would think that too should be there.
They added 4 decorations to my husband's DD 215 when he applied for correction.

A Citation for bravery-veteran -I sure would want that on the DD 214 too if I were you- this type of could
help any veteran's PTSD claim and it is something to be very proud and share with the family.

I can`t remember the kid`s first name, but he was our point man when I arrived and I walked second for a few months training behind him for his job when he rotated. We all called him Crazy Smitty. He and I almost got wasted on a patrol right before he left when the rest of the patrol ran and left him and I only against a platoon of NVA regulars. He was nuts and carried an M-60 all the time. Name was Smith. Ask him if he was in E-TROOP.

Cavman

#17 Berta

Berta

• SVR
  • 28487 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 08:24 AM

Will do that-maybe a long shot but it sure Sounds just like him---

He was shot twice in Nam. And when he worked for the local VA he took no crap at all from them.He and my husband were branded as the crazy Nam vet trouble makers by their co-workers at the VA.

Advertise Here