Advertise Here

Photo
- - - - -

Moving To Another State -- How Will It Affect My Claim?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dave

Dave

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 10:54 PM

My disability claim, according to the Regional Office, is at the "raters board" for final rating. However, I must move to another state. Will the Regional Office that currently has my claim finish it (since they say they are close) or will they pass it to the Regional Office in my new state to rate and possibly another lengthy delay? Thanks.

Dave

Advertise Here

#2 Guest_Jim S._*GuestMember

Guest_Jim S._*GuestMember
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2005 - 11:54 PM

Sorry don't know the answer.

I do know that if you must move and it cannot wait, make sure that the VARO knows your new address. If you know it before hand, just prior to your move if possible, submit your new address and get a signed, date stamped receipt, showing that you gave them your new address.

If you have to wait until you get to where you are going, send a special deliverywith return receipt with signature request. With the address change request, that the VARO follow up with a letter notifying you that your new address has been added to your C-file.

If you have an SO with your POA, I would make sure he is also told of your new address for his records and also get a referal for an SO in your new location.

I would also stop in with the new area VAMC and sign up for care and have your medical file transfered also. I would further check in with the pharmacy of your present VAMC or Clicnic and find out what you will need to do to see that you do not run out of medications until you have had time to be seen by your new Primary Care Dr.

One last thing I can think of, let your area US Post Office have your change of address too, that way you are less likely to miss any mail during the change over.

Good luck with the move, your a braver man than I. LoL

Jim S.

#3 Dave

Dave

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 08:50 AM

Sorry don't know the answer.

I do know that if you must move and it cannot wait, make sure that the VARO knows your new address. If you know it before hand, just prior to your move if possible, submit your new address and get a signed, date stamped receipt, showing that you gave them your new address.

If you have to wait until you get to where you are going, send a special deliverywith return receipt with signature request. With the address change request, that the VARO follow up with a letter notifying you that your new address has been added to your C-file.

If you have an SO with your POA, I would make sure he is also told of your new address for his records and also get a referal for an SO in your new location.

I would also stop in with the new area VAMC and sign up for care and have your medical file transfered also. I would further check in with the pharmacy of your present VAMC or Clicnic and find out what you will need to do to see that you do not run out of medications until you have had time to be seen by your new Primary Care Dr.

One last thing I can think of, let your area US Post Office have your change of address too, that way you are less likely to miss any mail during the change over.

Good luck with the move, your a braver man than I. LoL

Jim S.

I think I found the answer to my own question. Since my claim was a Benefits at Discharge Claim (which is a joke since I've alredy retired), the M21-1MR (at page 5-D-11) found here http://www.warms.vba...ubptii/ch05.doc
implies that the RO I filed the claim will decide my claim and then send my file to the new RO....I think it is about as clear as mud. If anybody can clarify, please. Thanks,

Dave

#4 Tbird

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com established 1997

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 08:53 AM

i moved from one state to another in the middle of my claim, my claim stayed at the ro it was filed until it was decided then transfered to the new ro, if that helps.

#5 Dave

Dave

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 09:00 AM

i moved from one state to another in the middle of my claim, my claim stayed at the ro it was filed until it was decided then transfered to the new ro, if that helps.

Thanks T-Bird...that helps. I just didn't want to throw a monkey wrench into the process so close to the end. If I had a choice, I would stay and get the award letter. However, I have a new job and I must relocate. And by the way, this, in my opinion, is the BEST Veterans' site on the internet. I want to thank you for your time and effort in helping all of us out.

Dave

Advertise Here