Search

Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup
@  vet201060 : (28 August 2014 - 09:55 PM) Va Is So Shameful!!
@  artlouis : (27 August 2014 - 11:36 AM) Code 7019
@  vet201060 : (26 August 2014 - 11:41 PM) Damn Post It Notes
@  vet201060 : (26 August 2014 - 11:41 PM) True That
@  Asiadaug : (26 August 2014 - 07:46 PM) I Have Yet To Deal With Any Piece Of Va That Isn't A Dysfunctional Mess...ebenefits, Claim Filing, Billing...and To Think Our Tax Dollars Are Used To Perpetuate That Calamity!
@  carlie : (26 August 2014 - 05:39 PM) notorious kelly - loved your shout ! ! !
@  GlassRose1500 : (26 August 2014 - 03:40 PM) Would Someone Add Smc Housbound Plus Smc A&a Regular And One Smc K For Me? I Can't Seem To Do That Math!
@  Notorious Kelly : (26 August 2014 - 03:12 PM) Ebenefits Is Not A Thermometer In The Rectum Of Your Claim; It Is A Post-It Note That May Or Not Be Updated Or Accurate. Try Not To Obsess ;)
@  mcassidy : (26 August 2014 - 01:25 PM) Osa
@  Jaluluah11B : (26 August 2014 - 10:05 AM) My Reconsideration Finally Showed Up On Ebenefits As A New Claim.  gathering Evidence.  [font=Arial][size=3]Automated 5103 Notice Response Needed. [/size][/font]
@  vet201060 : (26 August 2014 - 10:00 AM) Went From Pending Decision Approval To Review Of Evidence Today, I Need To Stop Looking At It. Drives You Crazy Waiting
@  GlassRose1500 : (25 August 2014 - 09:30 PM) @coriemboh I Get My Best Claim Advice Here, But My Dav Guy Gets The Best Intel Once The Claim Is Filed
@  coriemboh : (25 August 2014 - 08:57 PM) The Average Processing Time Is 9 Months More Or Less. Every Time I Call The 800#, I Get A Different Answer. Goe, Roe....make Up Your Mind!
@  coriemboh : (25 August 2014 - 08:56 PM) I Just Want To Know Ballpark Figure Of How Much Longer My Claim Will Take. The Bills Are Piling Up. Adds To My Anxiety And Depression. Sure Wish I Could Tell Bill Collectors The Same Things Va Tells Me!
@  coriemboh : (25 August 2014 - 08:54 PM) @glassrose1500-No, I Don't. I Put In For Representation A Few Days Ago, But I'm Sure That End Won't Pan Out Until The Claim Is Closed.
@  GlassRose1500 : (25 August 2014 - 12:11 PM) Would Appreciate Feedback On My Smc Draft - Posted In The Smc Section! Tkx!
@  GlassRose1500 : (25 August 2014 - 12:04 PM) @coriemboh - Do You Have A Service Rep You Can Call? They Usually Have More Info...
@  coriemboh : (25 August 2014 - 11:16 AM) Called The 800 # To Check Status Of Claim. Really Frustrated With The Lack Of Information.
@  vet201060 : (25 August 2014 - 10:12 AM) Just Checked Ebenefits And Claim Was Pending Decision Approval And Then Checked Few Minutes After That And Now Prep For Decision. Drives Me Crazy
@  coriemboh : (24 August 2014 - 10:00 PM) Anyone Else Having A Hard Time With Evet Updates? Mine Is Taking Forever!

Photo
- - - - -

Post Exchange And Commisary Privilages

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 RockyA1911

RockyA1911

E-6 Petty Officer 1st Class

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 08:41 PM

What do we need in order to get PX and Commisary privilages? Do you have to be rated 100% to get an ID card? I am 60%. Am I eligible to use the commissary and PX? A while back someone posted the forms needed to obtain a military ID card, could they post it again?

I am close to a Army Arsenal that has PX and Commissary among the regular Army base activities. I already have a Department of the Army MWR ID card for gaining access to the gym etc., But I think you have to have a military type ID card to use the PX and Commisary. Right or Wrong?

Advertise Here

#2 sixthscents

sixthscents

Moderator/Hadit.com Elder

• Master Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 09:02 PM

MMM.. actually my DOD ID has something like VA/MWR/Commissary actually typed onto it in a block. I dont know about a seperate card except the one I've gotten for taking a class on boaters safety, pottery and other stuff and the MWR Travel card thing..(was it a Tiger card, or a gold card... cant remember) I never bothered geting one of those because I never would have used it really.

And you do have to be 100%, either TDIU or schedular. You are also normally entitled to ChampVA at that point and your family can get insurance cards as well.

All you have to do is go to the nearest National Guard center or post, base etc. and with the VA rating decision (or a letter, if you ask for one the VA will make a specific one for them) and the normal other stuff like marriage licenses and birth certificates and probably social security cards. Just call your local guard or reserve unit, and they can tell you what days the are doing ID (some do not do them every day)

#3 sixthscents

sixthscents

• 831 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 09:05 PM

OH are they requiring a specific letter now? I just used my rating decision I think but it was so long ago I dont remember. I know to get my property taxes forgiven I had to have a specific letter, as well as for car registration and tags.

#4 Nathan104

Nathan104

E-4 Petty Officer 3rd Class

• Second Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 09:18 PM

And you do have to be 100%, either TDIU or schedular. You are also normally entitled to ChampVA at that point and your family can get insurance cards as well.

Do you know this to be fact? My brother is 70% but is TDIU. He looked into it and was told he could not get commisary/PX priveledges or ID card unless he was 100% schedular. Was he misinformed? Thanks

#5 Pete53

Pete53

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21803 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 09:33 PM

He was misinformed. He can be 100% TDIU if it is P&T and get the card the ChampVA for spouse and kids. The real key is P&T.

#6 otey2171

otey2171

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• First Class Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 10:02 PM

I received an ID card and commissary/px privilages when I was only 80% getting 100% IU, WITHOUT being P&T.

#7 sixthscents

sixthscents

• 831 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 10:08 PM

Yeah I got mine when I was 80% and TDIU as well. I'm over 100 now, but I got it when I was TDIU total and permanent. Maybe you can get the DOD ID without being total and permanent I'm not really certain, but for ChampVA you have to be T&P...

Edited by sixthscents, 22 January 2007 - 10:09 PM.

#8 robert51

robert51

• First Class Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 11:33 PM

He was misinformed. He can be 100% TDIU if it is P&T and get the card the ChampVA for spouse and kids. The real key is P&T.

i think it depends on the place you go i received a ID when i was 70% and I U before i became PT i did get a letter from the VA saying i was allowed

#9 Vike17

Vike17

E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officer

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 921 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 12:53 AM

As many have posted here, if you are 100% schedular or 100% because of IU, then you are authorized a DoD ID card, more sprecifically DD Form 2765. The DoD ID cards for 100% disabiled veterans used to be DD Form 1173, but they changed it awhile back due to some confusion with eligible dependents of active duty personnel.

As Rickb54 posted, awhile back there was also confussion as to whether Iu veterans were authorized a DoD ID card because, technically, they weren't a 100%; however, the DoD General Council wote a opion (can't rememeber the number) stating that all RAPIDS issunig faciities were to honor all IU veterans for issuing the DD Form 2765. The only thing that is required due to this opinion is a letter from VA stating that the veteran is in receipt of 100% disability. A letter stating that a veteran has, for example, 80% but receiving IU generally won't work. The VA knows this, so when one callls to get the letter, they just need to say they need a letter from VA for purposes of getting issued a DoD ID card. The VA will know what is neede and send required letter to theveteran. Having said that, some rapid sites will still issue a DOD ID card with just a DD 214 and the rating decision, which is technically wrong, but some do it any ways. The best thing to do is just request letter from VA and take that with a copy od your DFD 214 to the nearest RAPIDS site and there won't be any problems.

Also, as Rickb54 posted, the reasoning behind the future exam things is to determine whether the ID card shows IDEF or not. If there is a future exam scheduled, then, normally, the expiration date shows a date 60 days after the scheduled C&P exam. If there isn't a future exma scheduled, meaning P&T, then the expiration date reads INDEF.

I thing to keep in mind that I also see alot is that the DD Form 2765 does not authorize Space A travel on DoD military aircraft. The only thing currently autorized for 100% or IU veterans in this sense is we are authorized Space A flights on Coast Gaurd aircraft only. The ratiinal behind this the Coast Gaurd was a part of the Department of Transpotaion (Now the Department of Homeland Security), not DoD as the other service departments. Having said this, there have been numerous bills in recent years that have been purposed in the House and Senate to change this current DoD policy. Whether or not it gets changed or not is up in the air. It seems everytime it comes up for ratification, it gets stalled in some sub-committee.

Vike 17

#10 Philip Rogers

Philip Rogers

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3877 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 03:38 AM

What do we need in order to get PX and Commisary privilages? Do you have to be rated 100% to get an ID card? I am 60%. Am I eligible to use the commissary and PX? A while back someone posted the forms needed to obtain a military ID card, could they post it again?

I am close to a Army Arsenal that has PX and Commissary among the regular Army base activities. I already have a Department of the Army MWR ID card for gaining access to the gym etc., But I think you have to have a military type ID card to use the PX and Commisary. Right or Wrong?

Sounds like you already have the DoD ID card. Mine is a photo ID, basically tan in color, Says DAV (which either means disabled army vet or disabled american vet) on it, and MWR (moral, welfare and recreation), Indef if you are P&T or an expiration date if not P&T. I use it for hotel discounts, base privileges, base transient housing, etc, or anywhere I can get a discount. Handy thing to have.

pr

#11 Berta

Berta

HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• SVR
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28621 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 03:35 PM

Widows of 100% P & Ts get this too-

I imagine spouses of living vets would also-if the vet is 100% P & T ?

Do they?

I never used this - I bought a bunch of stuff at Lackland BX but my daughter, with me, was in uniform at the time- so maybe this is why they didnt check me out?
I had Rods DD 214 and DD 215 and even his award letter because I thought they would need to check about the medals I bought-but they didnt.

#12 Vike17

Vike17

E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officer

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 921 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 03:40 PM

Berta,

Spouses of 100% disabled veterans are issued DD Form 1173 and have an expiration date of, I think, 5 years from the date they were issued. At least my wifes was five years.

Vike 17

#13 Objee

Objee

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 06:47 PM

Do you know this to be fact? My brother is 70% but is TDIU. He looked into it and was told he could not get commisary/PX priveledges or ID card unless he was 100% schedular. Was he misinformed? Thanks

"Commisssary/Exchange card:
You must bring in the VA letter (VA 20-8992), which states that you are authorized Commissary and Exchange privileges and whether or not any further physicals are required. Also, a copy of your DD-214 must be brought with the VA letter. The DD Form 2765 (Tan) ID card will apply. "

If there is a future exam scheduled the card will expire 60 days after the exam date shown on the letter.

Ralph

#14 rthomass

rthomass

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 08:53 PM

You can all have my retired militay ID card........Don't need it.........don't use it............wish I had never served 20 years in the service.........soon as you retire you are another has been...................take my medals........take my ribbonns.......take my performance reports.........

Advertise Here