Search

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  arng11 : (26 November 2014 - 11:30 AM) Everyone Enjoy The Holidays And Be Safe.
@  eagle1012004 : (26 November 2014 - 10:10 AM) Have A Happy Thanksgiving All!!!
@  Tbird : (22 November 2014 - 04:54 PM) Tbird Accepted To 2015 Conference: V-Wise: Another Entrepreneurship Project Of The Whitman School Of Management Http://ow.ly/ej9Qg
@  Tbird : (22 November 2014 - 04:13 PM) Arng11 Thank You For Your Contribution To Our Funding Campaign.
@  britton : (22 November 2014 - 02:57 PM) Thank You Ms T For Starting This Web Site For All Veterans, You Helpd Me And My Family And I'll Be Forever Gratful To You & Hadit.com
@  Tbird : (22 November 2014 - 08:19 AM) Thank You All For Helping With The Funding The Site. It Is Really Helping!
@  Tbird : (22 November 2014 - 08:18 AM) Britton Pm Me And I. Can Check This Out For You
@  britton : (22 November 2014 - 06:44 AM) What Does ''you Missed Your Quota For Postives Votes Today'' Mean??
@  coriemboh : (19 November 2014 - 08:29 AM) Hold Time For Peggy Was Approximately 1 Minute. That Was 17 Minutes Ago. They Really Need To Change This Hold Music.
@  Tbird : (17 November 2014 - 02:42 PM) Stretch Thanks For The Extra Contribution To Our Fundraiser This Month.
@  maxwell18 : (16 November 2014 - 09:04 PM) I Still Have To Bitch About The Navy Hosp Cutting My Meds By 2/3 On My Norco. I Contacted Customer Service Or What Ever You Want To Call It Who In Turn Contacted The Navy Hosp Pensacola Commander Who In Turn Did Nothing. Thanks To All The People That Are Affair Of There Jobs And I Feel That Medical Malpractice Should Come Into Place. I Guess Just Do What Ever They Want To Because They Can, But Don't Give A Sh T For The Vets That Suppose To Being Supporting From All The Military  organizations. This Is Not The Way They Have Been Trained And Promised To Do. 
@  carlie : (16 November 2014 - 11:26 AM) Delayed Onset Tinnitus - Ref To Va Training Letter 10-028 - Link - Http://veteranclaims.wordpress.com/2014/05/06/single-Judge-Application-Va-Training-Letter-10-028-Delayed-Onset-Tinnitus/
@  carlie : (16 November 2014 - 11:03 AM) Here's A Good Tinnitus Link To Check Out From M21-1 Change Dated Jan 10,2014 - Http://veteranclaims.wordpress.com/tag/section-B-Duty-Military-Occupational-Specialty-Mos-Noise-Exposure-Listing-Fast-Letter-10-35-Tinnitus-Hearing-Loss-Vbms-Rating-Decision-Tools/
@  Asiadaug : (16 November 2014 - 02:08 AM) "rolled" Not Ruled! :)
@  Asiadaug : (16 November 2014 - 02:07 AM) Thanks. I Have Seen The Fast Ltr 10-35 And Have Seen Cases Where The Va Has Apparently Agreed That Tinnitus Can Have Delayed Onset. I Did Not In Looking Over The Fast Ltr See Where They Had Ruled 10-028 Into That. And, I Am Not Sure In The Vas Issuance Of ‘policy’ Type Letters How They Might Roll In Previous Instructions Into Newer Ones. Maybe There Is Some Intranet Traceability Capability? I Was Just Curious As There ‘appeared’ To Be Conspicuous Absence Of That 10-028. I Am Assuming 10-028 Was Written In 2010. But It May Be I Should Not Assume Anything.
@  carlie : (15 November 2014 - 05:56 PM) Asiadaug - You Might Be Looking For Fast Letter 10-35, Http://www.hadit.com/forums/topic/40962-Va-Fl-10-35/ Also Check Out This Link To Links For Delayed Onset Tinnitus - They All Refer Back To Fast Letter 10-35, Https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=Chrome-Instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=Utf-8#q=Tinnitus, Delayed Onset, Va Fast Letter
@  Tbird : (15 November 2014 - 07:50 AM) Asiadaug Searched All Over For Va Training Letter 10-028 But No Luck So Far.
@  Asiadaug : (15 November 2014 - 02:12 AM) Several Cases I've Run Across Mention Va Training Letter 10-028 With Apparent Discussion About Delayed Onset Of Tinnitus. I Have Been Unable To Locate That Trng Ltr. Any Suggestions?
@  Tbird : (12 November 2014 - 05:56 PM) Stretch Thanks For Contributing To Our Fundraising Campairg
@  Tbird : (12 November 2014 - 04:01 AM) Atomicwidow Thank Your For Donating To Our Funding Campaign.

Photo
- - - - -

Can The Vet Center Refuse To Treat A Veteran?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 Speaking Out

Speaking Out

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• First Class Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 10:51 AM

I am so upset right now that I feel sick. I just called the Vet Center here in Indy to speak to the social worker there that I used to see because I wanted to start coming in to see her again because I can't afford to pay for therapy on my own anymore and she told me that she had been advised not to speak to me or anyone about me. I asked her who advised her of this and she said she couldn't say. Can the Vet center refuse to treat me because I am involved in a Federal tort claim for medical malpractice. It's not like I want to go talk to her now, knowing that my health isn't the Vet Center's priority, but I would like to find out if they can refuse me treatment?

#2 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22329 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 11:16 AM

Speaking Out

Go see the patient rep and see your senator or congressman and tell them the VA is denying you treatment. They should jump all over that with the Walter Reed thing going on in the media. I would stay in my congressman's office and talk until they start helping you get treatment. They cannot deny you treatment because you have a claim against them. You are entitled to treatment.

#3 Testvet

Testvet

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2478 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 02:25 PM

that was the reason vet centers were created because many vets don't trust the VA system, first time I have ever heard of the vet center refusing counseling

#4 carlie

carlie

Moderator/Admin/HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Admin
  • 22280 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 03:27 PM

Speaking,
My therapist was the lead (director) of the Vet Center on 1st Ave N in St.Petersburg, Florida. Her name is Dr. Maria Crane and she was wonderful with me, unfortunately she works in Germany now. Anyways, my FTCA was against The United States of America, Bay Pines, Veterans Administration - for personal (sexual) assault committed against me by a Bay Pines VA - ENT doctor named Dr, Farid Karim.
My therapist, Dr. Crane was very supportive of me throughout the entire process which lasted around five years or more.
I suggest speaking in person (make an appointment) with the lead of your Vet Center.
DEMAND YOUR TREATMENTS - YOU EARNED THIS BENEFIT !
Good luck,
hope this helps a vet.
carlie

#5 Speaking Out

Speaking Out

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 04:46 PM

I called another Vet Center here in my state and got the # for the Regional Director of the Vet Centers. I called and left a message and he called me back and asked what happened and if I was okay to be alone because he could tell I was in crisis and he said that no, the Vet Center could not refuse me treatment. He asked me the therapists name and said he would make some calls and call me back. He did call back and said he was unable to reach the therapist because she was in session and she would call him back and that he had called the VARO counsels office to find out what was going on and was not able to speak to the counsel. But he gave me the name of another counselor at the Vet center to call and that she would be expecting my call. I called her and I have an appt next week. I was in crisis today and I reached out to someone whom had been good to me before. She knew I was in bad shape because I told her that my son was what was keeping me from taking my own life And I was turned away. Am I stupid to go back to the Vet Center to see someone else?

#6 SLEDGE

SLEDGE

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 05:06 PM

Speaking Out,
It's time to call out your congressman and see where that person stands on emergency care for vets.
Like an old-time showdown at high noon, it's put-up or shut-up.
We need to know who stands with us and who doesn't care.
Besides, you have a better than even chance that something will happen in your favor.
You don't have to take that VA crap anymore.
Give them hell.

sledge

#7 Arch

Arch

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 10:50 PM

Seamen,
I worked at the St. petersburg Vet Center as a work study while attending college under the GI Bill (Vietnam) I also attended the Group therapies there and was helped a bit. I was never instructed to refuse anyone their first visit, there were a few real phony balonies who had no military records and were probably not Vet's Who were sidelined while extensive checks were done, Ther was quite a lookup network available to the counselors and they came to my aid several times when I lost my temper.
I never heard of any refusal at all, any Vet any place. I picked up a guy who stunk so bad that dead bodies smelled better and brought him back to the Vet Center for Eval and Hospitalization, Gave me flashbacks. Of course at that time all personell who worked there were Vets, Both Ron and Tony were Aces, there was another counselor with a Big Block on his shoulder I avoided.
Perhaps it has all been "reorganized" and the counselors are not Veterans anymore If they are civilians that explains it all....

Arch

#8 Speaking Out

Speaking Out

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 10:03 AM

My counselor at the Vet Center was a Social Worker and No she is not a Veteran. I am going to follow up on this because it is just WRONG. I needed help and asked for it and was denied. I am lucky that my neighbor was home because I was in a bad way. I'm not much better now, but I'm pissed off allot more. That doesn't really do me any good, but I'm human and that's just how it is. I want this person to lose their job and have their Social Worker's liscense suspended. I appreciate all of the support and advice.

#9 sfsd104

sfsd104

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 12:30 PM

Looks like you burned bridges and are now having to deal with your anger. If she stated that she was advised not to speak with you then the die is cast. What I'd suggest you do is turn this around if you can. Remember - if you fight anger with anger - all you'll get is misery.

The advise for you to take it up the chain is an option, however there's garbage already in the road that has to be cleaned first.

What I'd suggest you do is check with your county mental health community if you need assistance right now!

Bob

Edited by sfsd104, 15 March 2007 - 12:38 PM.

#10 Speaking Out

Speaking Out

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 01:33 PM

I don't see how I burned any bridges by filing a medical malpractice claim against the VA over three years ago when I suffered medical malpractice at the VA. That statement makes it sound like I did something wrong and that is not the case. I saw this therapist right after the malpractice and the reason I went to her was because I was told the Vet Center is outside of the VA. There is NO excuse for a Vet center to turn a Vet away. As to the comment of having to deal with my anger on my own, I am doing the best that I can under the circumstances. I am trying to go up the chain of command and you are right, there is allot of garbage up that chain, but that doesn't mean I should not continue to expose the fact that a Vet in need was turned away. I will NOT just take this, there is a bigger picture here than just what happened with me. I don't want another Vet to be turned away. As for county mental health services, you have to be below the poverty level for that in my county and I am lucky that I don't meet that requirement, but still can't pay it on my own.

#11 SLEDGE

SLEDGE

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 06:49 PM

Why is it hard for a mental health pro to understand that people who have PTSD get angry a little too easily?
They don't understand that people with PTSD don't normally put up with crap like they used to before they got PTSD.
Anger is a symptom of the PTSD, not a personality disorder by/of itself.
When I'm treated like a regular human, I act like a regular guy.
When the VA, or anyone else, gives me a hard time, I usually act like I'm being mistreated. (Duh)

sledge

#12 Tbird

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com established 1997

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 07:12 AM

not so long ago i was in with a va doc, been waiting for hours, she wanted me to wait for a prescription, i said no send it to me, she said you really need to wait, i said listen, i've been here for hours already and my ptsd is really getting hard to control so i think it's best for all of us if you just mail me the prescription, she gave me some samples and mailed me the script. i didn't let my angry out, i managed it, i just let the doc know what was going on and i thought well that was easy. she was very nice.

#13 Speaking Out

Speaking Out

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 07:48 AM

The point to my original post here was not that I called the Vet Center Angry, I called in crisis because of my Depression and Anxiety, I was not angry. My anger came after I was refused treatment. As a follow up...I had called the Regional Manager and he told me he would call Indy and find out what was going on. A few minutes later he called me back and said that he wasn't able to reach my therapist because she was in session and that he wasn't able to speak to anyone at the VARO counsel's office, but another counselor at the Vet Center was expecting my call to set up an appt. with her. That all happened on a Monday. On Thursday of that week, I called the Regional manager back and asked him what he had found out and he said he felt as though his job was done when he got me set up to see someone. I told him that I wanted to file a complaint and he asked my why? I explained that I was refused treatment at the Vet center and they couldn't do that and I wanted to file a complaint and asked him where to direct the complaint and he said the complaint would come to him and that my complaint was noted. I then asked him who his supervisor was and he again asked me why? I told him that I was going to put my complaint down in writing and send it to him and a copy to his supervisor. He said that I obviously have access to the internet and I could find it there. I asked him if he was refusing to give me his supervisor's name? Then he made the comment..."I wonder where that weepy Vet I spoke to on Monday is?" I told him that that comment was completely uncalled for and inappropriate and how dare he speak to me that way. I told him that that weepy Vet from Monday went out and walked around her house and then went to a neighbors because I was afraid to be alone with myself and that my medication had just kicked in 20 minutes ago and my son was at kindergarden so I was making my follow up calls now so that my son didn't have to see his mom as a weepy Vet today. He said he didn't want to speak to me anymore until he spoke to someone in legal and he hung up on me. I called another Vet center in his area and asked who is the supervisor of your regional manager and a telephone #? I guy on the other end of the phone said..."Oh, it sounds like I don't want to get in the middle of this." I told him, "no, you don't" He told me that he didn't have a number he could give out. I explained the situation to him and he said that I did need to speak to the supervisor of the regional manager and that he would give me his internal # if I kept his name confidential. I guess one of the good things the side effects of meds helped me to not have to lie because I told him I didn't even remember what he had said his name was and it was true. He gave me the number and I called. It was for the director of the Vet Centers in Washington, Dr. Alli Battres. I got the deputy director Charles Flora. I explained the situation to him and he said he would have the mangager of Indy Vet center call me. I waited and just a few minutes later the Indy Vet center called, but only to confirm my appointment. I asked if they had just gotten a call about me and she said no. I waited for the manager to call, but no call. The next day, I called Mr. Flora back and he said that he had called the regional manager and told him to call Indy and have the manager call me. I expressed my concern to Mr. Flora that I didn't understand why he would call the regional manager which was one of the people I was complaining about and have that person involved in this in any way. He then told me to call the VA IG hotline and gave me their direct number. I called and explained that I wanted to file a formal complaint against a Vet center employee and the regional manager of that Vet center. I was told that I needed to first file a complaint at my local VA hospital that the Vet center is affiliated with. I told her that I was given her # by the deputy director of the Vet centers to call the VA IG hotline and she again said I had to call my local VA hospital first. I asked if there was someone else that I could speak with and she said...NO. I asked her for her name and she wouldn't give it to me. I asked her for and identification # and she hung up. I called Mr. Flora back and told him what happened and he said, "you are kidding me?" and I said that if I was kidding I would be laughing and this is very serious that I was trying to do this the right way by going up the chain, but it wasn't working. He said that he would have the director call me. No call ever came. I have spoken to enough people in Washington to have some contacts and I called the subcomittee on oversight on Veterans Affairs and told the person there who knows my story what had happened. Later that day, I got a call from the chief of staff for Congresswoman Julia Carson. She is not my Congressperson, but the VA and Vet center are in her district and I was told that she was interested in what was happening with me. He was very nice and asked me to tell him my story and I did. He was disgusted at the way the VA and Vet center has acted and he asked me to put together a package and told me how to do it and what to send and he is going to walk over to the VA IG's office with a cover letter from their office and then take it to the oversight committee and request a congressional inquirey. I'm not holding out any hope that anything will be done or anyone will be held accountable because I don't have that faith in my government, but I'm not going to back down. I know this guy was serious about helping me because he gave me instructions on what all documentation to send him and he asked me to FedEx the package to him so that he can put my info on a list of expected packages so that it will only take a few days for the package to make it through security instead of a few weeks. I'll give an update when I have more.

#14 Jazona

Jazona

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 08:36 AM

The Vet Center here in Prescott, AZ refused to see me because they said I was still drinking and they didn't see vets that were still abusing substances. I told them that their own website said that 80% of PTSD sufferers were substance abusers and that was a sure way to keep their work load down.

Didn't matter, they weren't going to treat me. A while later, I was in a e-mail conversation with a guy over in Calif that was with the Vet Centers and he couldn't believe that they had refused to treat me. He asked if he could call on my behalf and speak to the vet center here. I did and he did and I got a call shortly after and all of a sudden the vet center wanted me to come in.

I told him to stuff it, that I would handle it like I did most of my healthcare, through a private Dr.

They can and will refuse to treat you any time they want. There is no accountability, no responsibility. Even if you sue them, the responsible party won't lose their job, or even be disciplined. I really don't see any changes even in light of what is happening with the Walter Reed thing. So much for the finest health care system in the world.

jaz

#15 Tbird

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com established 1997

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 09:10 AM

sorry my post was meant to add on to what sledge said, not anything about you being angry, though i believe i would have been, i have never heard of the vet center refusing treatment to any veteran.

#16 Berta

Berta

HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• SVR
  • 29034 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 09:35 AM

I worked at a vet center as a vounteer. I was voted into the PTSD combat group.

We had to ask a vet to leave- he had been drinking and brought beer in, in a coffee cup-to the PTSD rap group meeting-

My husband- (didnt know at the time he would become my husband)and 6 or 7 others vets in the Combat group were recovering alcoholics and did not drink.There was no way the vet center would allow anyone to compromise their sobriety-
there is no point in having someone who has been drinking-
participating in a PTSD combat group-
and this was a VA facility.

This same vet brought open cans of beer into my car as I transported him to the Vet Center-he had hidden a whole 6 pack in his cameos. I could have gotten into considerable trouble.

I dont think this was your case-at all-Jazona-

Your situation was probably very much misunderstood.

The VA does not have to treat anyone under the heavy influence of anything
like alcohol etc- besides- what if they gave a med and it interacted with the alcohol or drugs already in a vets system and caused more problems or death?

Could they be sued? NO! Alcohol and drug abuse is willful misconduct and a conscious choice.

I worked at a vet center as a vounteer. I was voted into the PTSD combat group.

We had to ask a vet to leave- he had been drinking and brought beer in, in a coffee cup-to the OTSD rap group meeting-

My husband- (didnt know at the time he would become my husband)and 6 or 7 others vets in the Combat group were recovering alcoholics and did not drink.There was no way the vet center would allow anyone to compromise their sobriety-
there is no point in having someone who has been drinking-
participating in a PTSD combat group-
and this was a VA facility.

This same vet brought open cans of beer into my car as I transported him to the Vet Center-he had hidden a whole 6 pack in his cameos. I could have gotten into considerable trouble.

I dont think this was your case-at all-Jazona-

Your situation was probably very much misunderstood.

The VA does not have to treat anyone under the heavy influence of anything
like alcohol etc- besides- what if they gave a med and it interacted with the alcohol or drugs already in a vets system and caused more problems or death?

Could they be sued? NO! Alcohol and drug abuse is willful misconduct and a conscious choice.

PS- the vet with the beer?
He died before he hit 40-
alcoholism -cause of death- he left a wife and three small sons- she will never get DIC.

Edited by Berta, 24 March 2007 - 09:37 AM.

#17 Berta

Berta

HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• SVR
  • 29034 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 09:42 AM

sorry for these weird double posts---my delete button disappeared.

PS- the vet with the beer?
He died before he hit 40-
alcoholism -cause of death- he left a wife and three small sons- she will never get DIC.

#18 Pete53

Pete53

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder

• 21895 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 02:37 PM

I might be redoing info given by someone else but the Vet Centers although funded by VA are Independent and they can refuse treatment to Veterans. You have to be the right era first of all and as I undertsand they have toightened up who they will see.

Instead of getting angry the best thing is to try and be calm and have that explain why they are denying treatment and than see if you can fix the problem.

My experience is that if they closed VA to Vets who were drinking or drugging there would not be many in Mental Hygine.

I have had my share of problems being angry but it rarely helps me get the things I need to be angry.

My old Shrink that I liked at the VA was don't take it personal they do it to everybody.

#19 Speaking Out

Speaking Out

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 08:23 PM

My old Shrink that I liked at the VA was don't take it personal they do it to everybody.

"If good men do nothng...

More info on my Vet center experience. The reason the therapist at the VA was told to not speak to me or anyone about me because she was considered a VA employee is because...Right after the unneeded surgery and remember I received a conference call from the hospital administrator, chief of ambulatory care, and the women's coordinator and they told me "that upon their investigation and speaking with the nurse involved, that she looked in the computer under lab results and she saw the name of the test she was looking for and she pulled up a result from February" and we were in the month of Novemeber.
I was working at the time. I applied for my FMLA leave and my therapist at the Vet center filled out my paperwork. She hand wrote it. She is a Liscensed Clinical Social Worker. The paperwork needed to be signed by an MD. She gave me a copy of it at the end of my session and then she was going to send it to the VA to the women's coordinator to take to have the chief of ambulatory care sign. A week or so later, the women's coordinator called and said that the paperwork was ready and I picked it up. I got home and noticed that it was changed. Someone, either at the Vet Center or at the VA changed what the paperwork said and the chief of ambulatory care signed it. She wrote things like ..under went an surgery that was done in error due to a lab misreading. It has retraumatized...PTSD and Depression. Now, that paperwork is considered part of my medical record. Who ever changed it didn't realize that I have a copy or 100, joke, of the original one that I was given at the end of my session. That is another reason Congresswoman Carson's office was so fired up about my story is that the only reason anyone would change the paper work, which took all of the truth in it out and tried to make it look right was to cover something up. You can tell it is with a different pen, even looking at copies of both, but I am not a hand writing expert. I can't say on that. There are fax numbers on the tops that authenticate them coming from the Vet center to the VA. That is why the therapist was told not to speak to me. Now that the tort claim has been settled, I know the VA knows I have the original and have they, the VA, not heard of HIPAA? :angry:

#20 Jazona

Jazona

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 08:41 AM

Berta,

I seem to be caught in a perpetual "catch 22". I wasn't drinking before or during my sessions with the Vet Center. I would drink after hours and at home. The drinking became the centerpoint with the VA. They wanted me to quit. O.K., I said, help me quit. They sent me to the "Substance Abuse Councilor". After a few sessions with him, He pronounced that I was self-medicating with alcohol and stopped seeing me.

I would love to quit drinking, but I sure as heck can't do it with the milk toast meds they give me to treat my PTSD. I am treating my PTSD with alcohol. I drink a measured amount each day. Never get falling down drunk. Never drink and drive. Never been in trouble because of it. So, I am self-medicating.

Someone give me real, meaningful medication to treat my PTSD and I'll stop drinking in a heartbeat. Until then, I'll continue with the only medication that keeps my PTSD in check.

jaz

#21 goofycow

goofycow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 02:58 PM

jaz:

Yes, it is somewhat of a Catch 22 isn't it? I have "self medicated" on and off over the years since joining the military. In fact I have been hitting the sauce quite heavily lately. But like you, I wait until after hours, don't drink & drive & drink at home. Besides there is no one around to object to my drinking anyway.

Why is it OK for the VA to prescribe medication which can be highly addictive but it is such a terrible no-no to drink alcohol? The last time I checked, alcohol is still a legal substance & can be obtained without a prescription.

Liz

#22 Jazona

Jazona

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 08:25 AM

Rodger that, Liz.

How is it that someone like Anna Nicole Smith can get methadone for nothing more than a broken fingernail and the VA can't treat us with drugs that work. I have been offered 10mg/day of librium as an incentive to quit. HA! I can get more relief from an Advil than that. I wish they would offer me something highly addictive, that works!

I would imagine that what ever they prescribed would have less deleterious than the affects of alcohol over the years.

Round and round we go!

jaz

#23 Speaking Out

Speaking Out

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 01:09 PM

I can answer that. The Vet Center is part of the Veterans Administration and everyone who works at one is a VA employee. They are just like the VA, but just in a different building. They are funded by the VA and if they do something wrong they are defended by the VARO counsel just like the VA, and if it goes to court, they are represented by the U.S. Attorney's office just like the VA. And yes, the Vet Center can refuse to see a Veteran, but it has guidelines of why a Veteran can be turned away. This usually only happens in cases where the Veteran has been abusive or intimidating to others whether it be staff or other Veterans. This Vet Center employee had been instructed not to speak with me or anyone about me because of the Federal Tort Claim that was ongoing and the fact that the VA changed medical records that she had hand written. Yes, they did change medical records and this therapist must not have known about it at the time because she gave me a copy of the original when I left her office. I've not spoken to her, but I do know the day I called her in crisis that she did nothing except what the VA told her to do which was to tell me she could talk to me. She could have referred me to another Vet Center Counselor or given me a number to a local crisis hotline, but she didn't and just sat on the phone in silence. Yes, I have filed a complaint against her, notified the State Liscensing board, and HIPAA.