Veterans Service Officers (VSO)

VA Disability



Views on Service Officers

Some veterans just use our site and don’t feel they need a service officer. Others use a service officer and this site. Some veterans use county service officers others national service officers. It’s really up to you to decide if you want to use one, my preference is to use a service officer.

A few more words about Veterans Service Officers

The good, bad and mediocre exist in all organizations it is just a fact of life. So accepting that we encourage you to interview a few different Veterans Service Officers. It is important that at a minimum you choose a service officer you feel comfortable and confident in. Without trust and confidence in each other the pursuit of a successful claim will suffer. If you were going to hire a lawyer, doctor, accountant wouldn’t you interview a few first?

What to take to the initial interview

  • If available DD214
  • List of addresses of private doctors or therapists that you see in connection to problem you are claiming service connection for..
  • Original plus copies, leave the copies with your service officer, I f your claim is successful you will want to be paid for your dependents.
  • Marriage Certificate
  • Birth Certificates
  • Adoption Papers
  • Divorce Decree
  • Private physician statements related to the disability you are claiming service connection for everything.

Initial Interview with your Veterans Service Officer:
Copies make sure you give the Service Officer Copies and keep copies for yourself. Make a note on your pad of documents provided to your service officer.
Bring a Pad and pen. Write down the Service Officer’s name, phone number and ask them if they have an email address you can use to check on your claim.
This is the interview where the service officer will gather information about you and your claim.
This interview maybe fairly short, the service officer will have to obtain your records and review them to be able to give you specific answers about your claim for service connected disability.
Your service office should file your claim immediately in order to get you the earliest effective date. You do not have to wait for your records before you file a claim. You want the earliest effective date this will be the date you are paid from, so even it takes two years, you will get two years of retroactive pay.[/ezcol_3quarter_end]



error: Content is protected !!


Verified by MonsterInsights